TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAL007

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 19, 2022
Considering the Slaughter and May cover letter should only be one page long, how much emphasis would one put on a deal?
Say in relation to the vodafone and 3 merger?

O

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 27, 2019
I reckon theyve waitlisted quite a few people and will reconsider when they see how the vac schemers get on. An acquaintance at Bakers said she found out 6 weeks after her AC that she got it so I’m clinging to whatever little hope I have lol
thanks for sharing that’s really good info

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
Was not sure where the best place to ask this was but looking to get some paralegal experience alongside my TC applications. Haven't had much joy with Flex Legal but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions on how to secure paralegal work?

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Was not sure where the best place to ask this was but looking to get some paralegal experience alongside my TC applications. Haven't had much joy with Flex Legal but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions on how to secure paralegal work?
    Was wondering the same too.

LinkedIn job adverts have always been my best bets, as well as direct on firm websites on their job pages. It is also useful to apply to administrative jobs in firms if you don't have paralegal experience and work your way up. I started on a slightly rogue admin job at a magic circle firm and managed to move internally to a paralegal role there :)

Reactions: M0M007

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 20, 2022
    LinkedIn job adverts have always been my best bets, as well as direct on firm websites on their job pages. It is also useful to apply to administrative jobs in firms if you don't have paralegal experience and work your way up. I started on a slightly rogue admin job at a magic circle firm and managed to move internally to a paralegal role there :)
    Thank you! Will look into these

• Love
    Reactions: OB

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    Honestly! I cannot understand the way Law firms recruit for paralegal positions. Recruitment agencies are involved and they rarely post on their career website. Also I have been rejected lately for a paralegal position in a Law Firm where I did a vacation scheme lately (in the same department required). If offered a TC, they said I can get a paralegal position, while waiting for the training contract. So it is very confusing for me as well.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Honestly! I cannot understand the way Law firms recruit for paralegal positions. Recruitment agencies are involved and they rarely post on their career website. Also I have been rejected lately for a paralegal position in a Law Firm where I did a vacation scheme lately (in the same department required). If offered a TC, they said I can get a paralegal position, while waiting for the training contract. So it is very confusing for me as well.
    They don’t necessarily have the resource to screen hundreds of applications to find suitable candidates. Recruiting for paralegal roles is not easy - high attrition, lots of applicants but not necessarily committed to the roles.

I wouldn’t worry about being rejected by the same firm for a paralegal role - it’s just one role, it’s quite normal that you could still be considered for other paralegal roles despite the rejection.

Reactions: Ghassen

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I know firms that have rejected future trainees for paralegal roles at the firm before they started (even after interview) so I wouldn't worry! It's probably best to paralegal at a firm different to where you want to do a TC (make any silly mistakes elsewhere haha)

Reactions: laurabeaumont

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Did anyone else just get the BCLP holding email for TC stating we would hear back by mid March? 🤣 I think they forgot to update their automated message as it weirdly stated 'thank you for applying to our Summer Vacation Scheme' lol That doesn't fill me with much confidence 🤣

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: O

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    Did anyone else just get the BCLP holding email for TC stating we would hear back by mid March? 🤣 I think they forgot to update their automated message as it weirdly stated 'thank you for applying to our Summer Vacation Scheme' lol That doesn't fill me with much confidence 🤣
    They stated we would hear back by end of August !!

Reactions: F99
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.