TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

islasorna

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 29, 2023
Hi! For those who are working and doing TC applications at the same time, how do you normally negotiate time off to do a law firm AC with your workplace? As sometimes law firms don't give you loads of time in advance to apply for time off and would I have to give a reason?

(for context, it's a new job, a startup, non-law related but it's my backup option).
I'd also like any advice on this! I'm in a similar boat, but a law-related job. And I'm especially wondering if people in full-time employment (law or not) are able to get time off complete vacation schemes as they can be 2-4 weeks long.

I'm currently in the interview process for a full-time paralegal position, and I've made in clear that I do intend to get a TC somewhere and qualify but that I want the professional legal experience. However, it's only really dawned on me that, if I get this paralegal position, I probably wouldn't be able to apply to this firm's TC because they only hire through their vacation scheme, and I'm not sure whether I'd really want to use up pretty much all of my annual leave on the vacation scheme (my personal choice, but I would take it as unpaid leave).

For people in law-related jobs, how is completing AC's and VS's normally handled? And will firms be kinder if its their VS?

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
I'd also like any advice on this! I'm in a similar boat, but a law-related job. And I'm especially wondering if people in full-time employment (law or not) are able to get time off complete vacation schemes as they can be 2-4 weeks long.

I'm currently in the interview process for a full-time paralegal position, and I've made in clear that I do intend to get a TC somewhere and qualify but that I want the professional legal experience. However, it's only really dawned on me that, if I get this paralegal position, I probably wouldn't be able to apply to this firm's TC because they only hire through their vacation scheme, and I'm not sure whether I'd really want to use up pretty much all of my annual leave on the vacation scheme (my personal choice, but I would take it as unpaid leave).

For people in law-related jobs, how is completing AC's and VS's normally handled? And will firms be kinder if its their VS?
For me - I had a full time job at a law firm as an admin assistant. My advice would be transparency. I let the partners in my team that my aspiration is to be a lawyer. I was applying for vacation schemes at multiple firms, including at the firm I was working at (via the internal route). I ended up getting invited to 2 ACs this cycle - I took annual leave for both but didn’t let them know that I was invited to ACs just in case they didn’t go well (because they were the first ACs I’ve ever done). Ended up securing VSs for both and as soon as I got the offers - I let the partners know the day after and told them I planned to take unpaid leave to attend. They happily signed off on them and was about to attend both (one in spring for 2 weeks and one in summer for 3 weeks).

Overall - my advice is to be transparent and let them know so when it does eventually happen, it doesn’t come as a shock.

19vanessat

Feb 23, 2022
For me - I had a full time job at a law firm as an admin assistant. My advice would be transparency. I let the partners in my team that my aspiration is to be a lawyer. I was applying for vacation schemes at multiple firms, including at the firm I was working at (via the internal route). I ended up getting invited to 2 ACs this cycle - I took annual leave for both but didn’t let them know that I was invited to ACs just in case they didn’t go well (because they were the first ACs I’ve ever done). Ended up securing VSs for both and as soon as I got the offers - I let the partners know the day after and told them I planned to take unpaid leave to attend. They happily signed off on them and was about to attend both (one in spring for 2 weeks and one in summer for 3 weeks).

Overall - my advice is to be transparent and let them know so when it does eventually happen, it doesn’t come as a shock.
Hey, thanks for this - would you say your advice would be the same if the job is non-law related? [re taking leave to attend ACs] as I don't want to come across like I'm not interested in my intern job because I would rather have a secure backup option this September. they said after 3 months of internship they'll evaluate if there's full time roles available.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

If it’s at the same firm, it’s unlikely you would need to take annual leave to attend the scheme. It’s only if it’s another firm you will.

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
If an application question asks you to "provide 3 suggestions for how law firms can support net-zero goals", should each of your suggestions link back to steps the law firm has actively taken in that area, even if the question doesnt explicitly ask you to talk about the firm's position?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If an application question asks you to "provide 3 suggestions for how law firms can support net-zero goals", should each of your suggestions link back to steps the law firm has actively taken in that area, even if the question doesnt explicitly ask you to talk about the firm's position?
I would actually recommend the opposite. The firm is not looking for you to tell them what they have already done, they are looking for your originality of thought on the topic.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

LlamaLaw

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2021

Hey, thanks for this - would you say your advice would be the same if the job is non-law related? [re taking leave to attend ACs] as I don't want to come across like I'm not interested in my intern job because I would rather have a secure backup option this September. they said after 3 months of internship they'll evaluate if there's full time roles available.

I applied for direct entry TCs only (which I appreciate limits the options) as I couldn't really find a way to make taking an extended period of holiday for a VS work. Plus, if you're already in work you can use that as a source of experience, development, etc regardless of whether it's in law.

That said, I think if you're working in a job that firms would expect you to be in while looking for a VS/TC, the firm might be more understanding of needing to take a bigger chuck of time off.

For ACs which should only be a day anyway (or interviews) I just said I was taking the day off and no further details. You have a leave allowance and it's really yours to use as you see fit, they don't really need to know what you use it for. They shouldn't see it as not being interested, as your leave is part of your contractual (and legal!) entitlement.

Can't speak to the experience of this within a law firm but hopefully others can.

Reactions: laurabeaumont
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.