TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallumJR

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2020
Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I’ve been hearing that certain firms are making you do SQE 1 and 2 depending on when you completed the LPC
My friend (non-law grad) successfully passed SQE1 before securing a TC. And now his firms requires him to complete the GDL and completing SQE1+2 course.

• Wow
Reactions: AlexJ

CallumJR

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2020
Morgan Lewis TC!! Anyone else? 😁
Congratulations Congrats GIF

Congrats, they are a great firm. So happy for you!!!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Unsure for Trowers, but I’ve had confirmation from a number of firms that you are exempt from both SQE 1 and 2
You won’t be exempt from SQE2 just with the LPC. Firms don’t get to choose this - it’s only in the SRAs control to apply exemptions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is the general approach of firms including T&H. If you have not completed the LPC you will have to do both SQE 1&2
I think there is confusion here between taking the course and sitting the assessments.

A firm may ask you to complete a course that prepares you for SQE1 and SQE2 together.

However, the firm cannot make you sit SQE1 exams if you have an exemption. That is not in their power to do so.

They can sponsor you on a combined SQE1 and SQE2 prep course though to make sure you have enough training to sit SQE2.

Reactions: AlexJ

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Are ACs for the direct tc route more difficult than the ones for vac schemes? Or do law firms tend to conduct the interviews and exercises in the same way?
I would say the expectations are different - the exercises are likely to be similar or even the same, but firms will have higher expectations for a TC compared to a VS, because it’s a much bigger commitment, and so they are likely to take fewer risks

Reactions: LawIsInTheAir

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
I think there is confusion here between taking the course and sitting the assessments.

A firm may ask you to complete a course that prepares you for SQE1 and SQE2 together.

However, the firm cannot make you sit SQE1 exams if you have an exemption. That is not in their power to do so.

They can sponsor you on a combined SQE1 and SQE2 prep course though to make sure you have enough training to sit SQE2.
Thanks for clarifying Jessica. Although, could you explain in more detail please re firms sponsoring you to do the SQE 1 and 2 prep course to do the SQE 2 (if someone falls under the exemption of having completed the LPC)? Does that mean you would attend SQE 1 workshops etc but won’t have to sit any exams? And would it still take an entire academic year to complete?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for clarifying Jessica. Although, could you explain in more detail please re firms sponsoring you to do the SQE 1 and 2 prep course to do the SQE 2 (if someone falls under the exemption of having completed the LPC)? Does that mean you would attend SQE 1 workshops etc but won’t have to sit any exams? And would it still take an entire academic year to complete?
It depends on the nature of the course.

If it is an LLM, you would need to complete all modules, including exams as it is a postgraduate course. However, you would not need to sit the SQE1 assessments (these are technically separate to your course anyway) as you are exempt from these.

If the course is not an academic course (eg PG Diploma or Masters level course), like some of the flexible courses provided by the CoLP or BARBRI, then you would need to complete the course to set you up for success for the SQE2 assessments, and if you are being sponsored through the course, you’ll want to attend courses as that’s likely to be monitored by your firm anyway.

Us416

Feb 11, 2021
You won’t be exempt from SQE2 just with the LPC. Firms don’t get to choose this - it’s only in the SRAs control to apply exemptions.
Hi Jessica

I’m slightly confused. I’m training with my firm in 2024 (completed LPC 2021) and they have confirmed no need for SQE 2 but will still do the PSC? I also attended a session held by BARBI and they confirmed those who have done the LPC and have a TC will not need to do any part of the SQE 2, rather if I did not have a TC then I could do the SQE 2 and get QWE as a paralegal and qualify that route instead?

Last edited:

LlamaLaw

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2021
Hi Jessica

I’m slightly confused. I’m training with my firm in 2024 and they have confirmed no need for SQE 2 but will still do the PSC? I also attended a session held by BARBI and they confirmed those who have done the LPC and have a TC will not need to do any part of the SQE 2, rather if I did not have a TC then I could do the SQE 2 and get QWE as a paralegal and qualify that route instead?
If you're not at all doing the SQE route but instead doing the LPC route it's an SRA requirement to do the PSC.

If your firm decides that they're still happy to let those eligible qualify via the LPC route then yes, no need to do any part of the SQE. As we're still in the transition period, it's possible some firms decide that everyone will qualify via the SQE, even those with the LPC but seemingly not all have decided that yet.

If you didn't have a training contract, then your route to qualification would be via the SQE as you can't do the LPC route without one. You can get an exemption for SQE1 but not SQE2 hence the need to do SQE2 and QWE to qualify that way.

Us416

Feb 11, 2021
If you're not at all doing the SQE route but instead doing the LPC route it's an SRA requirement to do the PSC.

If your firm decides that they're still happy to let those eligible qualify via the LPC route then yes, no need to do any part of the SQE. As we're still in the transition period, it's possible some firms decide that everyone will qualify via the SQE, even those with the LPC but seemingly not all have decided that yet.

If you didn't have a training contract, then your route to qualification would be via the SQE as you can't do the LPC route without one. You can get an exemption for SQE1 but not SQE2 hence the need to do SQE2 and QWE to qualify that way.
Thought as much reading guidance on SRA. Thanks

Reactions: LlamaLaw

LlamaLaw

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2021
How long does it usually take for you to prepare for an AC?
"It depends" (sorry!). If it's your first or among the first, and/or you've applied for a lot of firms so you need to brush up on your research, then give it a few days of prepping with a few hours each day to go through your CV, think through competencies, commercial awareness, etc.

If you're comfortable with ACs, you know the firm well (it's your first choice, one of only a few applications, etc) then you could probably only spend few hours actually preparing. It will depend a little on what they expect you to do at the AC but many things can't be explicitly prepared for like group exercises.

There's definitely a risk in over preparing if it gets you into a cycle of nerves or you're trying to memorise lots of things. One of the best pieces of advice I had was that not all preparation will be reading, researching, practicing, etc. At least some should be just thinking - go for a walk or go somewhere quiet and just take time to think about what you've already prepared, how you might approach tasks or phrase things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.