Not open for further replies.

AB

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 23, 2020
Hi all,

Has anyone heard from:

- AS/ Harbottle & Lewis regarding the tc application
- NRF ( who completed AS/WG in the first round) ( I believe yesterday was the last day for TI interviews so why have they taken so long to reject me/I am pretty sure everyone else in the first round got rejected earlier on)
- AS Barclays work experience ( since it starts in a week's time I am assuming a rejection but I haven't seen any LinkedIn posts) ( I know this thread is for TCs but idk where else to ask) .

I got rejected after AC for BCLP which sucks because I suspect it was mainly confidence ( I was a mess and at one point the partner mentioned lawyers needing to be tough (which could have been an indirect or could have just flown from our previous conversation on settlement negotiations)) ( it may have been everything and the only thing I got right was showing up on time ( I hope they give good feedback calls)). Any tips for confidence? It sucks because I feel like it's not something you can fix overnight like CA or not knowing enough about the firm.

• 🤝
Reactions: Marissa

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
At what point do non-rolling firms’ recruitment processes become rolling?

For example, a candidate completes the WG tor Hogan Lovells, does the firm wait until they’ve got all WG scores to progress people? Cf. VIs at firms like W&C.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker W&C say they review their VIs on a rolling basis, but they won't be looking at them over the weekend + bank holiday right? so I should have up until Tuesday to practice answers and get it in for then?
No one will be working weekends.

But rolling recruitment doesn’t mean they are reviewed daily on a working day. They are likely to only review in batches, maybe once a week or every couple of week depending on numbers.

Reactions: NMA and Tintin06

katierose

Jul 27, 2023
Can anyone confirm if the A&O blended assessment/SJT deadline is the same as the deadline to apply? In the email they sent with the link they didn't specify a deadline, they just say to look at individual deadlines on the website, so I assume this means we have until the winter vac deadline (22nd September) to complete the test?

Marissa

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jun 25, 2020
I am once again asking what are Ashurst's questions. Thank you.
Last cycle's TC questions:
  • Please use this section to tell us about yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst. (750 words max)
  • Describe what you think it takes to be a successful commercial lawyer and what are some of the challenges you might face as a trainee solicitor. (300 words max)
  • Please tell us about a recent news article that interests you and how this relates to Ashurst? (300 words max)

Reactions: Tintin06

icl

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 21, 2022
sorry if this is a weird question but did they specifically say that your app didn't make the cut? because 78 on the WG seems like a good score to me (pls correct me if I am wrong).
they said "Having reviewed your Watson Glaser score, unfortunately, we will not be progressing with your application.", so I'm not sure how much my app had an influence on it. Personally I also think 78th percentile may not be high enough for a firm like Freshfields sometimes, especially when the next stage is AC

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    I am once again asking what are Ashurst's questions. Thank you.
    This year's WVS questions:

Tell us in 250 words why you are applying to Ashurst and what you know about the firm. (250 words max) *

In 250 words tell us what a commercial lawyer does. (250 words max) *

Please use this section to tell us about yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst. (750 words max) *

Has anyone heard back from Weil? I applied on 31/7
    Well, hopefully tomorrow/ this week Weil will start giving responses. I am pretty nervous though because their vac scheme will be opening soon, they only recruit up to 15 a year and whilst I do I think I have the potential to get a TC - I don't like my chances, especially as we near September.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I’m an international student who has finished her undergrad and is now undertaking the SQE. I’m on a tier 4 visa. Will I be able to apply for any winter schemes?? Would really appreciate if @Jessica Booker or anyone else can shed some light
    If they fall outside of your term dates, then yes you will be able to. If they fall within your term dates, you will be limited to 20 hours a week.

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    This year's WVS questions:

Tell us in 250 words why you are applying to Ashurst and what you know about the firm. (250 words max) *

In 250 words tell us what a commercial lawyer does. (250 words max) *

Please use this section to tell us about yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst. (750 words max) *
    I feel like the first and last question might be too repetitive. should we focus more on my skills/achievements in the last question and link it back to ashurst. little confused. @Jessica Booker could you advise on this

s002

Jan 31, 2023
    Hi all, looking for some advice

I've recently received a TC offer which I am incredibly happy about, and have four weeks to accept. I am also still waiting to hear back from a few other firms and I want to know the options available to me before making a decision. Is it okay for me to email these other firms and ask if I can have the status of my application sooner, in light of my receiving an offer from another firm so that I can make my decision on time? Or is this not worth it / likely to damage my chances?

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, looking for some advice

I've recently received a TC offer which I am incredibly happy about, and have four weeks to accept. I am also still waiting to hear back from a few other firms and I want to know the options available to me before making a decision. Is it okay for me to email these other firms and ask if I can have the status of my application sooner, in light of my receiving an offer from another firm so that I can make my decision on time? Or is this not worth it / likely to damage my chances?

@Jessica Booker
    Yes, it is ok to ask whether you will receive an update on the status of your application ahead of your TC offer deadline.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I feel like the first and last question might be too repetitive. should we focus more on my skills/achievements in the last question and link it back to ashurst. little confused. @Jessica Booker could you advise on this
    There is the risk of repetition here.

I would say “why the firm” more broadly in the first answer and “why the training contract at the firm” in the latter one though. These answers can then be distinct from one another.

Reactions: lawstudent1245
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.