TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

mp2000

Distinguished Member
Jan 29, 2024
I would take it as five days from the point of receiving the offer, which would take you through to early next week anyway.
I will have only had the assessment centre by next Monday so will have no choice but to sign the first contract and then potentially pull out if I am successful on the assessment centre. Is this unheard of? I understand I'd be burning bridges with the former company but would be happy to do so for the graduate scheme....

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I will have only had the assessment centre by next Monday so will have no choice but to sign the first contract and then potentially pull out if I am successful on the assessment centre. Is this unheard of? I understand I'd be burning bridges with the former company but would be happy to do so for the graduate scheme....
Not unheard of - something a small percentage of applicants do each year. Renege rates are at around 8% for some law firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is the best way to go about reneging an offer just doing so via email, explaining the situation, apologizing for the inconvenience, etc.? Or will this not suffice given I will have already signed the employment contract?
You will definitely need to put something in writing. Whether you call first and then email is up to you, but formal confirmation in writing that you are withdrawing your acceptance will be required.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker as a final year student graduating in a couple of months, is it too early to be applying to open paralegal positions that are currently being advertised if we cannot start till around July? There is there is no advertised start date on the opening
I would wait a couple of more weeks if you can, although I know this can be tricky if you have final year exams. I typically say 6-8 weeks before you can start a role, so it will depend on when in July you are looking to start.

You may want to start registering with some recruitment agencies now though, as that process can add on a couple of weeks anyway.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.