TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.omething

Apr 21, 2021
Has anybody heard back from Dechert following a VI? If so, could you say roughly how long it took for you to hear back? I completely messed up the first question (out of only three questions) so my hopes aren't high, but still would like to be put out of my misery.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Has anybody heard back from Dechert following a VI? If so, could you say roughly how long it took for you to hear back? I completely messed up the first question (out of only three questions) so my hopes aren't high, but still would like to be put out of my misery.
Took me about 2.5 weeks to hear back? But I know people who heard back at the same time as me but this was a week after they did their VI! Also, I'm sure it went better than you thought, I've mucked up 1 question in VIs that I have got through on so don't lose hope!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello all!

I've taken on some extra responsibilities at work now. I'm part of an engagement team and, also, I interview candidates/am being trained to interview candidates for the civil service.

Alongside my role in compliance in HMRC, are these worth mentioning in apps or should I focus more on my main role?
Yes, they are things to mention on your applications if relevant to the content you are being asked for.

Reactions: FM302989

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Has anyone heard back from Bevan Brittan? Or heard anything since the deadline closed?
I think I may send a very respectful/good natured email asking for an update.
I’ll let everyone know if they reply.

Reactions: Nnu, MLF and blairh

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Has anyone heard back from Bevan Brittan? Or heard anything since the deadline closed?
I send an email to their grad rec team last week, haven't had a response yet...let us know if you hear back!

• 🤝
Reactions: Hele25

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
I send an email to their grad rec team last week, haven't had a response yet...let us know if you hear back!
So odd. I know they must be super super busy, but I sent them an email immediately after the deadline as on their grad rec page they say they accept mitigating circumstances in their applications, but there was no section to add these.
So I asked if I could send them in an additional email. - never heard back from that either. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ We’ll see! Hopefully they reply to us both.

blairh

Standard Member
Future Trainee
  • May 19, 2020
    I emailed grad rec last week as well and no response. Fingers crossed we'll hear something soon!

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    was wondering if anyone knew how possible it is to move from training in-house into private practice - i was thinking of applying to the bbc training programme but if its going to be impossible to move into private practice afterwards I might not bother! I was specifically thinking about moving into mid-size media/entertainment firms or IP firms so not aiming for MC/US which i know is probably not possible after training in-house
    @Jessica Booker would you be able to advise on this? thank you so much!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hello all!

I've taken on some extra responsibilities at work now. I'm part of an engagement team and, also, I interview candidates/am being trained to interview candidates for the civil service.

Alongside my role in compliance in HMRC, are these worth mentioning in apps or should I focus more on my main role?
    As above, I think these are relevant for a few reasons: they show that you are trusted enough in your workplace to take on additional responsibilities, that you are willing to take on additional work, and also that you have all the requisite skills involved in successfully completing the new tasks to a high standard.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    was wondering if anyone knew how possible it is to move from training in-house into private practice - i was thinking of applying to the bbc training programme but if its going to be impossible to move into private practice afterwards I might not bother! I was specifically thinking about moving into mid-size media/entertainment firms or IP firms so not aiming for MC/US which i know is probably not possible after training in-house
    @Jessica Booker would you be able to advise on this? thank you so much!
    I dont think moving to PP would be impossible by any stretch, but it would arguably be more challenging than the other way round. It's also not hugely well charted territory as it's only comparatively recently that in house TC's have become an option more widely.

Reactions: Jooooopp7

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Does TCLA have resources/guides for current trainees, where to qualify and how to find NQ positions?

This is long-term thinking as I start the TC in September but I have a couple of lever arch files where I collate all my careers-related work 😅

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.