TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

macala russell

Star Member
Dec 29, 2020
Absolutely not a sausage. Know lots of people have received PFO’s and invites. But I still haven’t heard anything at all. Now going on 2 unanswered emails 😂🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ve given up tbh, they must be so so busy and I don’t want to stress them out even more!
Absolutely not a sausage. Know lots of people have received PFO’s and invites. But I still haven’t heard anything at all. Now going on 2 unanswered emails 😂🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ve given up tbh, they must be so so busy and I don’t want to stress them out even more!
I received an invite but they haven’t sent the test?

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Browne Jacobson Telephone interview!

Also, just had my feedback call from Trowers & Hamlins, who told me that they only had 20 spaces for their VS and I was 21st on their list by the amount of points I scored....gutted.

Just another lesson that even if you do the best you can, ultimately the decisions come down to factors outside your control!

jw97

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2020
    How long after an interview (last Thursday) is appropriate to chase? They said they would get back 'early this week'. (Obviously not thinking now, would just like a date in my head that's acceptable to count down to, thinking next Monday?)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How long after an interview (last Thursday) is appropriate to chase? They said they would get back 'early this week'. (Obviously not thinking now, would just like a date in my head that's acceptable to count down to, thinking next Monday?)
    Monday sounds like a good call, maybe in the afternoon just in case they contact you first thing.

Reactions: jw97

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Evening all,

I have just attended a really great webinar (with General Assembly), focussing on high performance and failure. I thought considering how tough the process has been I might share some of the points that were shared, just in case they might help anyone.

We are what we do repeatedly (Aristotle) - the key to high performance is often habit. When we become stressed or overwhelmed we often revert back to our habits, so making effort to maintain healthy habits that work towards our goals is key!

Top tips for what can help amplify performance:
    • Sometimes it's about saying less and pausing more, being articulate in our thoughts and not rushing through them demonstrates confidence but also allows us our words to have more effect.
    • Look at the people that are doing what you want to do better than you and consider what makes them better.
    • Manage your fears
    • Enjoy yourself - remember you have chosen your journey so you should make an effort to enjoy it, even when it is tough.
    • Grow from feedback - negative feedback can be super hard to hear, but it's actually a gift that allows us to springboard into success and doing better.

The speaker really recommended knowing yourself and what you bring to the table - you should be able to identify your 5 greatest strengths.
    This is important because it encourages us to focus on our strengths opposed to our shortcomings (apparently this mindset could make us 3x more likely to have an excellent quality of life!). She also said 'in times of uncertainty we can only be certain of what we can do' and I really liked this.

Redefine failure to be an opportunity to develop your understanding of what doesn't work for you - stop focussing on the on the fact that you have failed and instead consider why do you think you failed, if you don't know, try and get feedback.
    • Fun Fact: Walt Disney was rejected by 302 banks before he secured funding for Disneyland
    • Resilience is a lot to do with remembering why you are taking this journey.

She also said too much of the time we have an idea of what we consider success to look like but that it's too widely influenced by our surroundings and we should consider first what does success look like to me? When considering what your 'why' is, look at the world around you and identify the issues that light a fire inside of you.

her final message was: in times of failure of uncertainty we should try to always choose courage over comfort.

Recommended books were
    Confidence Code
    Lean in

Podcast recommendation: how to own the room

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Evening all,

I have just attended a really great webinar (with General Assembly), focussing on high performance and failure. I thought considering how tough the process has been I might share some of the points that were shared, just in case they might help anyone.

We are what we do repeatedly (Aristotle) - the key to high performance is often habit. When we become stressed or overwhelmed we often revert back to our habits, so making effort to maintain healthy habits that work towards our goals is key!

Top tips for what can help amplify performance:
    • Sometimes it's about saying less and pausing more, being articulate in our thoughts and not rushing through them demonstrates confidence but also allows us our words to have more effect.
    • Look at the people that are doing what you want to do better than you and consider what makes them better.
    • Manage your fears
    • Enjoy yourself - remember you have chosen your journey so you should make an effort to enjoy it, even when it is tough.
    • Grow from feedback - negative feedback can be super hard to hear, but it's actually a gift that allows us to springboard into success and doing better.

The speaker really recommended knowing yourself and what you bring to the table - you should be able to identify your 5 greatest strengths.
    This is important because it encourages us to focus on our strengths opposed to our shortcomings (apparently this mindset could make us 3x more likely to have an excellent quality of life!). She also said 'in times of uncertainty we can only be certain of what we can do' and I really liked this.

Redefine failure to be an opportunity to develop your understanding of what doesn't work for you - stop focussing on the on the fact that you have failed and instead consider why do you think you failed, if you don't know, try and get feedback.
    • Fun Fact: Walt Disney was rejected by 302 banks before he secured funding for Disneyland
    • Resilience is a lot to do with remembering why you are taking this journey.

She also said too much of the time we have an idea of what we consider success to look like but that it's too widely influenced by our surroundings and we should consider first what does success look like to me? When considering what your 'why' is, look at the world around you and identify the issues that light a fire inside of you.

her final message was: in times of failure of uncertainty we should try to always choose courage over comfort.

Recommended books were
    Confidence Code
    Lean in

Podcast recommendation: how to own the room

Incredibly kind of you to share these notes within the forum, thank you!

• Love
    Reactions: LS12

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    anyone heard anything from Arnold and porter/faegre? or know when they usually get back to people?
    Also waiting to hear from both these firms (my final VS apps for this cycle). Faegre sent out rejections a couple of weeks ago, but haven't sent out any positive news as far as I can tell. A&P have already done interviews and begun making offers apparently

Reactions: Jooooopp7

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi Guys,

I am currently applying for a role and I am struggling with two questions.

1. Please provide details of a recent legal issue that you worked on. What was your involvement? What was the outcome? (500 words max).My plan is to talk about the work I have done on a very vague piece of legislation. Is this ok? I am confused by the term legal issue.

2.We take pride in our inclusivity and place a high value in flexible working. What impactful contribution have you made to create an inclusive working environment? (Max 300 words) My team and I worked on a very long task which lasted the whole summer, beyond managing the meetings and handling the workload, I also organised lunches to discuss about our respective backgrounds and how they impacted on our life. What do you think?

jw97

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2020
    Well spoke too soon for this. I heard yesterday afternoon that I was successful and I will beginning my Training Contract in-house this September!!!!! A very good day and thank you to everyone for all the kind and generous help throughout!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Guys,

I am currently applying for a role and I am struggling with two questions.

1. Please provide details of a recent legal issue that you worked on. What was your involvement? What was the outcome? (500 words max).My plan is to talk about the work I have done on a very vague piece of legislation. Is this ok? I am confused by the term legal issue.

2.We take pride in our inclusivity and place a high value in flexible working. What impactful contribution have you made to create an inclusive working environment? (Max 300 words) My team and I worked on a very long task which lasted the whole summer, beyond managing the meetings and handling the workload, I also organised lunches to discuss about our respective backgrounds and how they impacted on our life. What do you think?
    Sounds like two good examples to me. For the first, think about what impact your ideas had, not just the process of implementing your ideas

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Omg you guys...I'm starting as a paralegal at my firm im training at in June!!!!

Any current paralegals here who have any tips? Is there any way to prepare, or should I just go in with enthusiasm? So excited!!!
    Go in with enthusiasm, give everything your best then take on board feedback offered, offer to help colleagues or the team if you have spare capacity, find your own methods for managing your day and tasks, read around the topics (PLC is a good start) if there's things you're unfamilar with. Things may be a steep learning curve, so you may only start to get the hang of things 3-6 months in

These are the same tips that would apply to someone starting a TC as well I feel

Lmagic77

Standard Member
    Feb 22, 2021
    Has anyone heard from Orrick post-written assessment? I had mine April 22nd and have heard nothing. Seems like it’s getting pretty late in the spring to hold assessment centres for their vacation schemes...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.