TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    If anyone has any advice about clashing dates with vacation schemes - I have just been offered a vac scheme for the week of 28th June, but have a large sports competition on the Friday of the scheme. Would it be a good idea to ask the firm if I can have the day away from the scheme or should I just drop my commitments? :)
    Are you competing in the competition or just watching? Is it something you've been training for a few months? If so, I'd contact the firm and explain the situation and ask their advice. People miss a day of a scheme for various reasons fairly frequently (it's happened on both the schemes I've attended) and I doubt it would count again you too much but obviously you want to attend as many days as you can so you give yourself the best chance to impress!

If you are keen to do the competition, the fact it's a Friday may be helpful as normally there aren't any assessments or anything during a scheme on that day - you may miss a social though!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Being brutally honest, I think this would count against you unless it was a competition of major note - it could be perceived as being unable to prioritise correctly in the eyes if the firm (rightly or wrongly!) so, unless it's a super super important competition I would probably drop it. @Jessica Booker may disagree with me though!
    I think it also depends on who your supervisor is. Once, after telling a summer intern they couldn’t have the day off to do to their summer ball, their supervisor over-ruled me and let them go, and I caught them sneaking out of the building as I got a coffee. Ultimately it didn’t harm their chances!

I’d consider the following:

- is the scheme only a week? If so, missing a day becomes much more impactful than if it is a three week scheme

- can you make up the time throughout the scheme?

- how important is the event? I have had people take days off for things that are important/cannot be moved (eg family weddings/hospital appointments) and ultimately that is a very different position to going to a social event.

- are you going to miss anything vital on that specific day. Missing something like a group assessment will be much more of an issue than a day with no major commitments/meetings/assessments.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi everyone, with vacation schemes fast approaching, whether they are in-person or remote, we know it can be tricky to find affordable, smart clothing and styles which feel like they are 'you' yet still law firm appropriate. You might find this thread helpful as a guide: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....nal-clothing-especially-for-women.3586/page-4

We just had a little chat about finding comfy, low-heeled ladies' shoes and I have linked a few options to check out! If you guys have any queries on clothing options then please do post and feel free to tag us!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum, particularly @Jessica Booker

I recently received 2 TC offers following vac schemes and I wouldn't have been able to do it without everyone's insights and support! I'm rooting for all of you and would be happy to help with anything :)
    200.gif

Messages like this literally make my day 😍!

A huge congratulations to you on your two offers

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    A little late to the fur baby discussion but here is my sassy Cav Gypsy enjoying the nice weather during bank holiday! (Also on IG as gypsy.onthehill if anyone is interested in her daily adventures 😁)
    View attachment 3406
    That bow 😍- what a well dressed good (and smiley) doggo ❤️

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum, particularly @Jessica Booker

I recently received 2 TC offers following vac schemes and I wouldn't have been able to do it without everyone's insights and support! I'm rooting for all of you and would be happy to help with anything :)
    Well done! Have you an idea yet as to which you'll accept?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

That's amazing news and huge congratulations! Hope you've been celebrating in the sunshine :D

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hello people,

I am currently applying for a direct tc and the firm has an industry centred approach.

Besides focusing on developing a greater awareness of specific industries and transferable skills what else should i mention?

Thank you in advance

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hello people,

I am currently applying for a direct tc and the firm has an industry centred approach.

Besides focusing on developing a greater awareness of specific industries and transferable skills what else should i mention?

Thank you in advance
    I thinknit depends a lot on the context of the question you're answering or preparing for. Can you give us more information on this front so we can dive into it a bit more?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.