TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, just a question regarding enrolling in LPC, is there still enough time left to enrol in a Jan 2022 intake to start a TC in September 2022? How long does it take to enrol roughly if anyone knows? Self funded option also.
Only if it is a fast-track course, but even then it will depend on your start date for the TC in September, as you will need your results before you can start (for vast majority of firms).

Enrolment will be pretty quick as soon as you have signed contracts and made any necessary payments.

Jmccann

Apr 14, 2021
Only if it is a fast-track course, but even then it will depend on your start date for the TC in September, as you will need your results before you can start (for vast majority of firms).

Enrolment will be pretty quick as soon as you have signed contracts and made any necessary payments.
hi Jessica. Thanks. Yes I think it will be fast track but just wanted to make sure I had enough time to enrol.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Hi, just a question regarding enrolling in LPC, is there still enough time left to enrol in a Jan 2022 intake to start a TC in September 2022? How long does it take to enrol roughly if anyone knows? Self funded option also.
    Hi, it is very quick and easy to enrol but I think the programme takes longer than 9 months (I am not sure about this point tho).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hi Jessica. Thanks. Yes I think it will be fast track but just wanted to make sure I had enough time to enrol.
    It isn't necessarily enrolment that will be the issue, it will be whether you get your results in enough time to start the TC in September 2022 - timings can often be very tight, especially if you are not on a sponsored course.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi @Jaysen, hope it's alright that I'm sticking this question here but I just had a quick question about the Community Manager vacancy. If I don't have a right to work in the UK, am I still eligible to apply?
    Actually, apologies if this was unclear, you will need the right to work in the UK for this role. I'm sorry for any confusion caused by this!

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    I start my role as a paralegal within real estate next week! I just wondered if anyone has any tips?

Excited but nervous as this will be my first office job :)
    Not real estate specific but if this is within a firm, here’s a couple tips from my own experience:

-Don’t be afraid to ask questions or “looking stupid” - if it’s your first role, no one expects you to know everything. Better to ask right away than have people cleaning up your easy messes!
    -Leave a notebook on your desk and just jot down the administrative things you get told at the start - you’re going to forget down the line so just take notes right at the beginning so you can rely on them later. That includes ie the phone number for IT, email addresses for billing, where to find instructional videos and training, how to use the intranet, etc.
    -If you hear/read about social initiatives, join! Sometimes networks or events sound like they’re only for fee-earners but in my experience they’re almost always open for junior staff too, you just have to reach out and register your interest. It’s also an excellent way to get to meet people outside your team/department.
    -If you’re having a call, try to have your video on where possible - that way people can put a face to a name when you’re starting out.
    -Use firm perks. Seriously. If they’re offering free taxis, free dinners, free coffees, discounted tickets, whatever, use it.

Hope that helps! Good luck :)

MikSoroko

Feb 11, 2021
    Hi! I had a question about the LPC. If you have a place to live in London already i.e. at home with parents, would you recommend commuting in if it will only take about 40 mins or do the majority of people move into flat-shares during it? Also how intense is the accelerated LPC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi! I had a question about the LPC. If you have a place to live in London already i.e. at home with parents, would you recommend commuting in if it will only take about 40 mins or do the majority of people move into flat-shares during it? Also how intense is the accelerated LPC?
    Unless money isn't an issue due to savings/bank of Mum & Dad, I would think that staying at home would be a far less stressful approach even with a 40 minute commute.

Even in London, to find somewhere affordable for a house share, your commute would still probably be around 40 minutes anyway. I live in Zone 2 and even my commute would be 40 minutes to the BPP/UoL campuses

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I guess it’s dependent on each person, but personally I would commute. You won’t be in every day anyway- realistically only 2 or 3 days max. You’ll wind up saving a lot of money by staying at home as renting in London is very expensive and you have to then factor in transport costs, bills, food etc ☺️

Reactions: MikSoroko

MikSoroko

Feb 11, 2021
    I guess it’s dependent on each person, but personally I would commute. You won’t be in every day anyway- realistically only 2 or 3 days max. You’ll wind up saving a lot of money by staying at home as renting in London is very expensive and you have to then factor in transport costs, bills, food etc ☺️
    Unless money isn't an issue due to savings/bank of Mum & Dad, I would think that staying at home would be a far less stressful approach even with a 40 minute commute.

Even in London, to find somewhere affordable for a house share, your commute would still probably be around 40 minutes anyway. I live in Zone 2 and even my commute would be 40 minutes to the BPP/UoL campuses
    Thank you! I am just thinking about it in terms of next year, for some reason I thought with the accelerated course you would be in every day :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you! I am just thinking about it in terms of next year, for some reason I thought with the accelerated course you would be in every day :)
    The accelerated course is more likely to be more days per week. Used to be 4 days a week back in my day, but that was way before remote learning etc, so things may have changed.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    My twin sons are doing the LPC living at home at present with a similar commuting time (in their case about an hour door to door) and there are definitely others in their group who live at home too. They only go in twice a week( but the accelerated LPC might be on more days a week to fit it all in I would expect). It isd not like an undergraduate degree when living near people and all that initial aged 18 social stuff is so vital; so I think you would be fine living at home.

The accelerated LPC is apparently hard work and I think has short holidays (not that the normal one gives you more than 2 weeks "off" at Christmas) but I am sure you will be fine. My sons had a choice so went for the normal LPC Sept to June (as did their older sisters) not the accelerated one.

Reactions: MikSoroko
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.