TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, was hoping to get some opinions on a scenario question. If you're a trainee and you accidentally send the defence strategy to the other side and your supervisor is unavailable, what do you do?
I would personally, email them immediately to notify them that the information was sent in error and also notify other senior members of the deal team of the mistake but I'm not sure if that's the right approach.
You’d probably call rather than email. An email you never know when it will be read. A phone call may intercept the email before it is read.

Reactions: Deleted member 8227

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hi all, was hoping to get some opinions on a scenario question. If you're a trainee and you accidentally send the defence strategy to the other side and your supervisor is unavailable, what do you do?
    I would personally, email them immediately to notify them that the information was sent in error and also notify other senior members of the deal team of the mistake but I'm not sure if that's the right approach.
    Have actually heard of this happening. Trainee survived by taking ownership and immediately alerting the associates, who were able to tell the opposing side to immediately delete the email. Aside from that major boo-boo he was apparently a really competent trainee so everyone has moved on from it.

D

Deleted member 8227

Have actually heard of this happening. Trainee survived by taking ownership and immediately alerting the associates, who were able to tell the opposing side to immediately delete the email. Aside from that major boo-boo he was apparently a really competent trainee so everyone has moved on from it.

Thanks this is really helpful to know!

D

Deleted member 8227

What would be the best approach as a trainee if you had to do work for a client you didn't agree with? e.g. unsustainable work. Would the correct answer just be that as your firm has chosen to represent the client, you would do the work?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What would be the best approach as a trainee if you had to do work for a client you didn't agree with? e.g. unsustainable work. Would the correct answer just be that as your firm has chosen to represent the client, you would do the work?
    These things don’t have to so binary as a yes or no answer. For instance could you try and influence the client to become more sustainable in the long term?

George.E.

May 26, 2021
    Hi, I attended an assessment centre at BCLP in the middle of August. I was unfortunately unsuccessful, but asked for feedback shortly afterwards. I received no response so 3 weeks later (mid September), I sent another polite email requesting feedback again. I received an automatic email informing me I would receive a response within 5 working days...I never did. A week ago I called BCLP, and a lady from HR said she could not deal with the matter, and so I had to leave an answer phone message, but I have still heard nothing in response. Given I reached the final stage of assessment I would really value some feedback (especially given I completed a vac scheme with another firm this last summer and they gave me the feedback for a different participant, including their project!!), and with the new recruitment cycle upon us any constructive criticism would be most welcome.

I have noticed that they have changed the length of time for receiving feedback on their website since I telephoned them. It now states that feedback can take up to 2 months during a busy period, but it has now been longer that 2 months since I first requested it.

Does anyone know what my next steps should be? The firm's website states that they give feedback, and from reading other threads I know other TCLAers have received it. Not sure if this is more an area for @Jessica Booker , but any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Bonolaw, ELaw2021 and OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I attended an assessment centre at BCLP in the middle of August. I was unfortunately unsuccessful, but asked for feedback shortly afterwards. I received no response so 3 weeks later (mid September), I sent another polite email requesting feedback again. I received an automatic email informing me I would receive a response within 5 working days...I never did. A week ago I called BCLP, and a lady from HR said she could not deal with the matter, and so I had to leave an answer phone message, but I have still heard nothing in response. Given I reached the final stage of assessment I would really value some feedback (especially given I completed a vac scheme with another firm this last summer and they gave me the feedback for a different participant, including their project!!), and with the new recruitment cycle upon us any constructive criticism would be most welcome.

I have noticed that they have changed the length of time for receiving feedback on their website since I telephoned them. It now states that feedback can take up to 2 months during a busy period, but it has now been longer that 2 months since I first requested it.

Does anyone know what my next steps should be? The firm's website states that they give feedback, and from reading other threads I know other TCLAers have received it. Not sure if this is more an area for @Jessica Booker , but any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated :)
    I’d personally attempt one last time via writing and make some insinuation that although you don’t want to explore having to receive feedback via a subject access request, that given the time since the assessment if you haven’t received the feedback within another 4 weeks, you would need to take this more formal approach. That should kick them up the backside as a SAR is far more time consuming than just giving you the feedback.

Reactions: George.E. and OB

George.E.

May 26, 2021
    I’d personally attempt one last time via writing and make some insinuation that although you don’t want to explore having to receive feedback via a subject access request, that given the time since the assessment if you haven’t received the feedback within another 4 weeks, you would need to take this more formal approach. That should kick them up the backside as a SAR is far more time consuming than just giving you the feedback.
    Thank you very much for this advice. I have found out through the forum that I am not the only candidate to whom this has happened, so I will start your suggested process straight away.

Reactions: Bonolaw and OB

small_turtle

Feb 6, 2021
    Hi all, if there is a webinar hosted for future trainees at firm X and I can't attend as I will be travelling back to the UK on that day, should I send the grad rec an email explaining why I cannot attend? I think it is a firm-wide webinar, and the grad rec said it's not compulsory, but you are encouraged to join. Thank you! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, if there is a webinar hosted for future trainees at firm X and I can't attend as I will be travelling back to the UK on that day, should I send the grad rec an email explaining why I cannot attend? I think it is a firm-wide webinar, and the grad rec said it's not compulsory, but you are encouraged to join. Thank you! :)
    Yes - they will understand some people won’t be able to make it.

maybe ask whether it is being recorded and if so if you could access it afterwards?

Reactions: small_turtle

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2020
    Does anyone have experiences with the HSF partner presentation? i’ve read the reviews on TCLA but just a bit confused on whether they give you advice on how to lay out the presentation?
    also if the assessment for a TC purely through your performance on the vac scheme or do you have a final TC interview aswell? :)

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Does anyone have experiences with the HSF partner presentation? i’ve read the reviews on TCLA but just a bit confused on whether they give you advice on how to lay out the presentation?
    also if the assessment for a TC purely through your performance on the vac scheme or do you have a final TC interview aswell? :)
    A friend of mine is a future trainee there - she just had to do an informal interview at the end of the VS

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.