• Applications for Willkie Farr & Gallagher's vacation schemes close on the 20th December. Apply now!
  • Applications for Shearman & Sterling's vacation schemes are now open! Apply now.
  • Common application pitfalls to avoid over the coming months. Read Now!

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    I might be wrong but I think firms like Sidley and Davis Polk (particularly the latter firm) prefer university students (penultimate and final year).
    Yeah i feel when a firm doesn’t explicitly say the VS is for graduate there’s almost an implied preference for penultimate and final year students. Hence wonder if anyone had any luck with them as a graduate/career changer in previous cycles

OB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    2020 Community Winner
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Yeah i feel when a firm doesn’t explicitly say the VS is for graduate there’s almost an implied preference for penultimate and final year students. Hence wonder if anyone had any luck with them as a graduate/career changer in previous cycles
    You can search up trainees at those firms on LinkedIn and see what stages they were in when they joined the firm to see if they hire many career changers etc

rb26

Star Member
  • Sep 6, 2019
    Hi there, I just got the VI invite for Clyde & Co and they have given me 3 days to complete it (meaning I have to do it by Friday). I have a big trial with my job I am preparing for and cannot see myself having the time to complete it- do you think I can email grad recruitment asking for an extension or is that not a justifiable reason?

OB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    2020 Community Winner
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Rejection from Simmons post-tests and video interview, *sigh*. Don't know if I somehow flubbed the video interview (I thought I did well) or my test scores weren't good enough, especially the logical reasoning one with those weird symbols 🤡
    Do they offer feedback at all? I assume they might not but there's no harm in asking. There were so many elements and those tests were shocking so do not beat yourself up! Onwards and upwards :)

Reactions: KamKA
    Apply to Shearman & Sterling's vacation schemes by 16 January 2022!
    Want to work for a global elite law firm? Shearman & Sterling's vacation schemes will see you experience two diverse practice groups (one each week), with your personal preferences catered to.

The scheme aims to mirror the Training Contract in that everyone will experience at least one of the firm's core transactional groups (M&A, Finance and Project Development & Finance) as well as being allocated a mentor and supervisor to provide advice and support, answer any questions and most importantly – provide you with some work!

Apply by 16 January 2022!