TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 12, 2021
Mishcon case study invite!
really thought I was done with this cycle, because my Mishcon VI went so poorly so I'd ruled it out. I guess Im back in the game 😂
Here We Go Dragon GIF by CBC
May i ask when you did your VI?

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate these pointers. They gave really short notice and I have exams next week so I have very limited time to prepare unfortunately. Thank you again!
    Honestly, you really only need a basic understanding of commercial terms. A lot of it is just common sense but I'd recommend understanding the basics of M&A and especially the pros and cons of M&A (share and asset purchase). Also understanding what is on a balance sheet is helpful (I didn't know what a balance sheet looked like before my case study and although it wasn't terribly complex, it might be a good idea to get to grips with it beforehand!) Hope this helps and best of luck :D

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell

allthingslegaltech

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 7, 2022
    Don't know if I'm overthinking but here goes - in an interview I referred to an acquisition a firm had worked on. I named the seller and figure however made a mistake on the name of the buyer and only realised afterwards. On a scale of 1-10 (where 1 is meh and 10 is catastrophic) how badly would this be taken? Obvs every firm is different but insights welcome :)

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    hi guys i have a question, has anyone applied for a direct TC and been offered a VC instead?
    I sort of had this last year with a firm that basically couldn't make up its mind about recruiting for TCs so they introduced a new stage of the process which was a "mini VS" - 2 days long. In the end they made the TC decisions based on the AC and didn't take the VS into account at all which was super frustrating and made the mini VS feel like a huge waste of time...

bbweby

Mar 3, 2022
    I sort of had this last year with a firm that basically couldn't make up its mind about recruiting for TCs so they introduced a new stage of the process which was a "mini VS" - 2 days long. In the end they made the TC decisions based on the AC and didn't take the VS into account at all which was super frustrating and made the mini VS feel like a huge waste of time...
    OMG???? thats so frustrating!!!

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    I find it hard to believe that the firm didn’t take the mini VS into account when making decisions, to be honest.

Reactions: unserious candidate and GXA123

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    I find it hard to believe that the firm didn’t take the mini VS into account when making decisions, to be honest.
    Yes so did I and I challenged it with GR in my feedback call but was assured all candidates' performance was too close in the VS that they had to go back to the AC feedback instead 🤷‍♀️ Didn't get any feedback at all on the mini VS/essentially 2 day AC 🙄 All very frustrating but made it clear the firm just wasn't for me!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.