TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I had my ac last week spent the weekend thinking about it then hoped I would find out today but I guess it’s another weekend thinking about it 🙃
    Oh you poor thing! It really is just a horrible waiting period of knowing you did your best but also not knowing if it was enough! I hope you find out soon and that it’s positive news 🤞🏼

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    How do people improve on timed VIs? I did a video interview simulation with TCLA and got decent feedback but my brain just absolutely melted during the real thing. Also I hate looking at myself on camera - so cringe.

Hey all! I just received a W&C Video Interview invite. I was wondering if anybody had any advice or tips on what I should look out for? I've never passed a video interview before so I'm a bit nervous haha. Thanks in advance :)

Details if anyone was wondering; Applied on the 13th of December for the Summer Scheme.
    Linking some posts on VIs by me and my fellow community manager @James Carrabino- I really hope they help!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    PFO from Pinsent Masons London post-GMA. Absolutely gutted :( I got my application checked and amended by future trainees too, but I think I really let myself down in the GMA.

I'm in the penultimate year of my law degree (this is my first cycle applying) and so far I've only progressed to 1 AC out of 9 firms that I applied to, and realistically speaking, don't think I'll be getting any vac scheme offers this time round. Does anyone have any tips on re-applying for vac schemes in final year?

The thought of having to attend webinars, networking events and open days all over again in autumn and chasing deadlines again for applications whilst juggling everything else is already killing me. Aside from working on feedback you've received off the back of rejections, what else is helpful in bouncing back after a round of rejections?
    @jo I'm so sorry to hear that you've been feeling low after hearing back from the firm.

The first thing I'll say is to not panic- you have plenty of time to improve upon your applications in your final year, and you could also consider making direct TC applications then should you think it's a good option for you.

I was in a similar position as you when I faced a string of rejections. I couldn't get myself to network all over again because I was simply exhausted and unmotivated. I decided to take a break for a bit to evaluate my motivations and focus on other things that I'd sidelined a bit while making vac scheme apps.

There were a few things I learnt in my break that I hope will be helpful to you-
    • You choose law firms just as much as they choose you- Many times, law firms can choose to not go forward with your application for objective reasons that have nothing to do with you personally. This could include the volume of applications they receive, a small error on your application, budget cuts etc. Understanding this will help you approach the application process in a more clinical manner that will allow you to have no to low expectations from any application you make, which makes it easier to deal with rejections.

• Treating a rejection as redirection- If an application didn't work out for you, once you've processed this, it's important to go back to the drawing board to figure out where you go next. It's never the end until you decide it's the end. For me, I used my string of rejections to figure out that I needed to focus on making direct TC applications over vac schemes as I was better suited to them. I hope you're able to find out whatever this redirection may mean for you.

• There is always something you can find to improve on- Any application can never be entirely perfect and you can always find a way to rephrase, reorder and restructure something so that it makes more sense and presents itself better. Knowing this was comforting to me in one sense because it meant that a rejection was never the end of the road for me and that I could find something to improve on to make a stronger application the next time.

• Figuring out your USP is crucial- What experiences, challenges, setbacks have made you who you are? What would you say you bring to the table that no one else does? Once you figure out the answers to these questions (this will take some serious reflection and introspection), you will find that you this unshakeable confidence in your abilities and suitability for a training contract. Humanising your application in this manner will make it incredibly hard for firms to reject you, especially if you've met all their objective criteria (grades, right to work etc.)

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Mayer Brown PFO -
    Okay, submitting a cheeky last minute application and there’s are TEN app questions
    🙃
    and a cover letter.
    Problem is, when all the questions basically use all the info I normally would put in a cover letter, what do I write in the cover letter?
    Should it be slightly more personal?
    Thanks
    The cover letter is a good place to make it a bit more personal, all while backing your motivations up with evidence.

You could talk about what sparked your interest in a career in commercial law and what made you develop it further, why the firm stood out to you, what your USP is and why it makes you fit for a career in commercial law at the firm.

This is from a few years ago but I found this resource by Izzet Hassan incredibly useful in personalising my cover letters and adding detail to them. I hope you find it helpful!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    I know this sort of question has been asked quite often but I am particularly nervous for my first AC (in just 12 days!). It's my first ever cycle and feel fortunate to have an AC with Burges Salmon. Does anybody have any particular tips or experiences for a virtual AC with BS? I'm trying my hardest, but given it's my first attempt, I am worried I might be approaching it all wrong.

A very dear friend had an AC with them and although she did not get a tc, she said that they were supportive, nice and her lack of commercial awareness was the reason why she did not get a tc.

Hi @corinium!

Huge congratulations on being invited to your first AC. I am really chuffed for you. It is a very surreal feeling and you have done extremely well to get so far in the process.

In line with @S87's insight above, I would really recommend Watson's Daily for brushing up on commercial awareness. The forum's commercial awareness updates are also fantastic (I wish I had used them when I applied!). If you can, start now and try to work on this little and often if you can (commercial awareness is very difficult to cram). You have plenty of time to do this, so just get stuck in as early as you can.

For a general breakdown of AC preparation, this post is a breakdown how I approached AC preparation. Please do not take it as a perfect approach, but it really is the one I employed!

I think both links are for the same page - may I clarify whether it was supposed to be a different link for article-based interviews? Sorry if I've misunderstood, thank you! :)

Hey @robynm09,

I am so sorry about my error in my previous post. I have now amended the original post with the correct link. For ease though, this is the page I was talking about regarding article interviews!

Please do let me know how it goes :)

After an AC, is it common practice to send an email to the interviewers thanking them for their time?

Hi @starbright,

So I do not think that it makes a difference either way honestly. I personally always did this. I know Partners interview lots of people and may not even read it. However, on the off chance they do, I always wanted to say thank you for the opportunity. I know opinion on this is divided though! I wouldn't overthink it though.

I hope that helps 🚀

@Jessica Booker if I have an interview for a direct TC on Monday but my spring vacation scheme says you can’t do the vac scheme if you had a TC offer accepted (and I would rather do the spring vac scheme), is there any point doing the direct TC interview? Do many firms let you extend the period to accept the offer?

Hey @gracelaw_,

My advice would be to make the most of the opportunity. You can never interview too many times for one. And as another user pointed out, if you did get offered a TC, you could ask for an extension.

It is a huge achievement to have been progressed so far with two firms too! Great going Grace!

Does anyone else feel deflated and like every single AC they do could have gone so much better...or just me? Am finding this part of the process just quite overwhelming.

Hey @lawvc2021,

I know others have responded to you on this, but I really recognise this feeling and empathise. I always suffered from self-doubt following my ACs/interviews. All I would say is that it is extremely difficult to objectively evaluate how you did in an AC. As best you can, try not to predict the outcome of your AC. So long as you did your best, you really cannot do any more.

It goes without saying, my fingers are crossed for you! 🤞

@George Maxwell's post was so good that it needed to be linked twice 😀

Alright alright @James Carrabino enough with the roasting 🍗.

The post is now amended.

I hope @robynm09 has recovered from their disappointment on discovering the error too. 😅

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.