TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I’ve been placed on a reserve list for a VS- does anyone have any experience of this/ know how likely it is that I’ll get a spot on the scheme? Mixed feelings as it’s not a yes but it’s also not a no!
It is impossible to say the likelihood of moving from the reserve list to the VS as there are so many variables however firms wouldn't have a reserve list if they didn't need them frequently! As we can see from previous posts in these forums it isn't unusual for people to have to drop out of a scheme for various reasons.

ellensdaleoriginal

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2020
Would anyone be able to shed some light on the best way to follow up with grad rec on an initial application without sounding needy and desperate! Applied over 2 months ago and haven't heard back since submitting my app and have seen people already being offered ACs - just want to know now, regardless of the outcome...

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Would anyone be able to shed some light on the best way to follow up with grad rec on an initial application without sounding needy and desperate! Applied over 2 months ago and haven't heard back since submitting my app and have seen people already being offered ACs - just want to know now, regardless of the outcome...
    sorry to ask but what firm is this? if it links then OH GOSH

ellensdaleoriginal

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 23, 2020
    Hi! I had my interview last week and they told me that I should hear back by the end of February as they are still interviewing people. As they do not have a lot of places on their vac scheme, they are probably waiting for everyone to finish their interviews and then make the decision?
    If you don't mind me asking, is this for spring or summer?

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    2 months is not unusual to have not heard anything after initial app!

However I take this approach:
    1) check my spam folder to ensure I really haven't heard anything
    2) check the application portal if the app has one to see if its updated on there
    3) check the website to see if that provides an expected outcome timeline
    4) after all that send a polite email asking for an update on the application or an expected timeline to hear an outcome - and don't do this multiple times!

Law2021vacschemer

Valued Member
    Dec 7, 2021
    I’ve been trying to get hold of Slaughter and May to get an early outcome of my interview as I’ve got another offer but I can’t get hold of them- the phone line just goes dead and the reception desk said they couldn’t help. I’ve only got 4 days to get a response before I need to respond to my other offer- does anyone have any advice?

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    I’ve been trying to get hold of Slaughter and May to get an early outcome of my interview as I’ve got another offer but I can’t get hold of them- the phone line just goes dead and the reception desk said they couldn’t help. I’ve only got 4 days to get a response before I need to respond to my other offer- does anyone have any advice?
    Wait a couple of more days and if still no response then perhaps ask whether the other law firm offering you could provide an extra week of thinking time. If they decline, accept the offer and then consider revoking your acceptance if Slaughters then offer you.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Law2021vacschemer
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.