TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important do you think it is to complete a forage virtual experience of the firm you have an upcoming AC for? I understand it shows a further investment in getting to know the firm but its so soon (alongside exams) that I'm stuck for time and would prefer to carry on with the other avenues of research. I'm not actually sure it's even checked and if I'd be asked about it but would love to know anyones thoughts.

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Anyone know whether firms call or email for offers/rejections post-AC? Or does it depend on the firm? What is most common
It is variable between firms, the firm I will be joining generally calls for offers and emails for rejections but I have had calls for rejections post-AC in the past also. A call is great as you have the opportunity to discuss feedback there and then as opposed to potentially long waits for anything contructive

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone know whether firms call or email for offers/rejections post-AC? Or does it depend on the firm? What is most common
Most common - call to offer, email to reject.

But some firms will call even when it is a rejection. And some firms will email to offer, especially if they are super busy or have had trouble getting hold of you (I sent so many congrats emails just because people hadn't set up voicemails on their phone!).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How important do you think it is to complete a forage virtual experience of the firm you have an upcoming AC for? I understand it shows a further investment in getting to know the firm but its so soon (alongside exams) that I'm stuck for time and would prefer to carry on with the other avenues of research. I'm not actually sure it's even checked and if I'd be asked about it but would love know anyones thoughts.

I don't think it is necessary to do it - a lot of people won't have the time to do so. You could always say you plan to do it in the Easter break/ahead of summer vacation schemes.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
How important do you think it is to complete a forage virtual experience of the firm you have an upcoming AC for? I understand it shows a further investment in getting to know the firm but its so soon (alongside exams) that I'm stuck for time and would prefer to carry on with the other avenues of research. I'm not actually sure it's even checked and if I'd be asked about it but would love to know anyones thoughts.
I personally don’t think it’s necessary. I didn’t do one for Weil and it never came up, I haven’t heard of it coming up in other ACs

I personally don’t think it’s necessary. I didn’t do one for Weil and it never came up, I haven’t heard of it coming up in other ACs
I don't think it is necessary to do it - a lot of people won't have the time to do so. You could always say you plan to do it in the Easter break/ahead of summer vacation schemes.
Thank you! Relieved much stress.

• 🤝
Reactions: summer207

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
I find it surprising that MC firms are doing this to be honest. Will be interesting to find out why when I catch up with them next.
Is it surprising when there appears to be multiple candidates holding multiple MC VS (or even TC) offers and they their dates clash? I'd be interested to hear your perspective from Grad Rec. Presumably its because you don't want to lose a 'good'/'excellent' candidate? I did think it was rather scrappy that offers were being accelerated or heavily influenced by other MC offers, and at times, I found it a bit ridiculous that TC offers were being given from VS ACs as a result of competing VS offers.

Reactions: LS_1998

LS_1998

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 12, 2022
I cannot believe that I'm writing this, but I got an offer for the VS at MB!!!!!!!!!! It's my first vac scheme ever and it's for my dream firm!

Since finishing the LPC, I've been in this awkward purgatory... but 3 cycles later, I've got it! Shocked is an understatement right now 🥺😅
So so so so proud of you WHAT A LEGEND ❤❤❤

Ray00313

Jan 9, 2022
TW PFO. Sorry for the negativity, but I really don't think that TW's arctic shores assessment is a true or fair representation of our personalities. I scored 0 for interpersonal skills which I find hard to believe.
Same here, stopped by the TW GBA test.
The silliest reason to deliver a rejection based on some random buttons (which already costed you 60+mins), provided TW asked you to write quite a specific, far from straightforward application.
It's indeed a sunk cost but still a massive waste of candidate's resource imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.