TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
If a firm provides LPC/SQE grants/funding to trainees, can these be retrospectively applied for those who have paid for the exam preparation course prior to receiving a TC offer?
As far as I am aware this varies from firm to firm. Some will retrospectively pay or reimburse, some only if you are still part way through the course, others won’t at all.

Reactions: TCG

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If a firm provides LPC/SQE grants/funding to trainees, can these be retrospectively applied for those who have paid for the exam preparation course prior to receiving a TC offer?
Some firms will retrospectively pay GDL/LPC/SQE fees, but won’t retrospectively pay maintenance grants. Firms will often reimburse the amount they would have paid for the courses though, so you may find that not all of your course fees are covered (eg say they pay £12k for their LPC fee, but you pay £15k, you’ll likely find they only cover £12k of the £15k).

Many firms do not retrospectively though - so it’s a question to ask them at an appropriate stage, probably at final interview stage or once you have the offer.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
For those in work - can you get unpaid leave for vac schemes? How have you found asking for this any tips etc :)

would also like to know!
This is going to vary for people depending on their employer. Unpaid leave is entirely at the discretion of the employer. All you can do is ask.

I’ve previously had unpaid leave for internships from two different employers. And have had unpaid leave to undertake ACs/Interviews. I’ve been very honest with my employers through out that I am seeking a TC and what that involves and they’ve been very supportive of the journey. Although one employer gave me unpaid leave for an VS I couldn’t undertake it as the law firm considered my employment to much of a conflict of interest and I wasn’t in a position to quit a job for a two week vac scheme. A two week vac scheme wasn’t gonna pay my rent!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
One question that always throws me off - "why not consider a TC at your current firm?", anyone know the best way to approach this. I would appreciate any tips, thank you!
The advice above is spot on, but you can also say you are still considering a TC at your current firm if you are - firms are expecting people to explore multiple opportunities.

angusgill1

Mar 2, 2022
Awwww shucks ☺️!

Love messages like this, really make my day

Morgan Freeman Naacp GIF by BET

I do actually have a couple of questions now though...
1. I have a placement at Firm A in April and a placement at Firm B in June. If I get a training contract offer from Firm A in April should I still go on to attend Firm B's placement? This wouldn't be a bad problem to have but it would be tricky to renege on Firm B given I have rented a room for £600.

2. There are some administrative issues with an LLM in Asia which mean that I might get a lower than expected degree in my Master's degree. There's a long story about this involving the university giving me the wrong date for a paper's submission then suddenly demanding submission with no notice. Would this be a problem for a firm and their consideration in maintaining a tC offer, similar to how graduates often need a 2:1? Background info: i have a strong 2:1 undergrad

If you can find some time to get back to me on these it would be highly appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I do actually have a couple of questions now though...
1. I have a placement at Firm A in April and a placement at Firm B in June. If I get a training contract offer from Firm A in April should I still go on to attend Firm B's placement? This wouldn't be a bad problem to have but it would be tricky to renege on Firm B given I have rented a room for £600.

2. There are some administrative issues with an LLM in Asia which mean that I might get a lower than expected degree in my Master's degree. There's a long story about this involving the university giving me the wrong date for a paper's submission then suddenly demanding submission with no notice. Would this be a problem for a firm and their consideration in maintaining a tC offer, similar to how graduates often need a 2:1? Background info: i have a strong 2:1 undergrad

If you can find some time to get back to me on these it would be highly appreciated.
1) Yes, if you want to and there are no restrictions on your second VS offer (some contracts will state you can't have accepted a TC if you want to go ahead with the placement) you can continue with your second VS.

2) Any TC offer is typically subject to your undergraduate grade, not your masters, so I don't think this will be an issue. Even if it was, if it is something you can explain, then its unlikely to be an issue as this sounds like extenuating circumstances.

Reactions: angusgill1

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone!
I was offered a place for a vacation scheme at one my favourite law firms. I am at my second cycle of applications and I have never received an offer, so I really need this opportunity... but, I recently (not even 2 weeks ago) got a new job, not an entry level job, but a good job in consultancy. Neither placement option would suit my calendar at the moment: the spring vac. scheme might be an option but it is too early to ask for days off at the new job - it may be seen very badly be the new emoloyer; the summer scheme is too long and too close to my project's final dealdline....
Has anyone ever dealt with a similar situation or has any advice?
I'm really sad atm and any help is appreciated 😥
Have you considered asking the firm to interview you for a direct TC instead (if they offer that route)?

angusgill1

Mar 2, 2022
1) Yes, if you want to and there are no restrictions on your second VS offer (some contracts will state you can't have accepted a TC if you want to go ahead with the placement) you can continue with your second VS.

2) Any TC offer is typically subject to your undergraduate grade, not your masters, so I don't think this will be an issue. Even if it was, if it is something you can explain, then its unlikely to be an issue as this sounds like extenuating circumstances.
Thank you!! This helps alot

VacApplicant

Feb 11, 2022
Hi everyone!
I was offered a place for a vacation scheme at one my favourite law firms. I am at my second cycle of applications and I have never received an offer, so I really need this opportunity... but, I recently (not even 2 weeks ago) got a new job, not an entry level job, but a good job in consultancy. Neither placement option would suit my calendar at the moment: the spring vac. scheme might be an option but it is too early to ask for days off at the new job - it may be seen very badly be the new emoloyer; the summer scheme is too long and too close to my project's final dealdline....
Has anyone ever dealt with a similar situation or has any advice?
I'm really sad atm and any help is appreciated 😥
I am literally in an identical situation.
Received a vac scheme offer for summer which I was able to negotiate prior to accepting my role which will start end of March.
I then received another vac scheme offer for April.
The new job starting in March is really good so I don't want to ask them for more time off already. I called the firm and explained that I want to accept the vac scheme for Spring, but only closer to signing my contract date will I be able to mention this to my new job employer. I then asked it, as a worst case scenario, I can't obtain the vac scheme, whether I can postpone it to next year. The recruitment team was exceptionally kind and understanding and said that they will allow it.
I think it's up to you what you feel comfortable with doing though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.