TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palilegal

• Jan 22, 2022
    When it comes to putting in someone's name (that you know or have a relationship with at the firm) on an application, what is this typically used for by graduate recruitment? Especially when describing their relationship to you?

Does anyone know the weight/ impact this holds?

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When it comes to putting in someone's name (that you know or have a relationship with at the firm) on an application, what is this typically used for by graduate recruitment? Especially when describing their relationship to you?

Does anyone know the weight/ impact this holds?

@Jessica Booker
    No weight - usually just a way of keeping internal people up to date with the status of your application (if you approve that they can be told). It’s usually just about managing people internally rather than anything to do with your application.

Reactions: Rob93

Lilz

Esteemed Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    Hi,

Does anyone know how AC’s are scored?

is the structure for the scoring system quite rigid? I.e. so many points for each exercise and then they calculate everyone’s score at the end?

Do you have any idea @Jessica Booker please?

Thankyou!!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

Does anyone know how AC’s are scored?

is the structure for the scoring system quite rigid? I.e. so many points for each exercise and then they calculate everyone’s score at the end?

Do you have any idea @Jessica Booker please?

Thankyou!!!
    There is no one approach to this unfortunately.

How it typically works is a scoring system by competencies/strengths, and that each exercise will have multiple competencies/strengths.

Sometimes there is cross over and competencies will be assessed more than one across exercises in the recruitment process.

Sometimes you will need to have a minimum score in each competency to pass the assessment centre (that doesn’t necessarily mean you are offered though).

Sometimes you will need to have a minimum score in each exercise (that doesn’t mean you are offered though).

Sometimes the highest scoring candidates overall are those who are offered. In other instances, you Just have to meet a minimum benchmark and then other factors are weighed up.

ofm

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 14, 2021
    If an interview is CV-blind, does that mean your interviewers have your cover letter or have nothing at all (i.e. no CV but have your cover letter, or no CV and no cover letter)? Thank you!

Reactions: WillkieGemma

Lilz

Esteemed Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    There is no one approach to this unfortunately.

How it typically works is a scoring system by competencies/strengths, and that each exercise will have multiple competencies/strengths.

Sometimes there is cross over and competencies will be assessed more than one across exercises in the recruitment process.

Sometimes you will need to have a minimum score in each competency to pass the assessment centre (that doesn’t necessarily mean you are offered though).

Sometimes you will need to have a minimum score in each exercise (that doesn’t mean you are offered though).

Sometimes the highest scoring candidates overall are those who are offered. In other instances, you Just have to meet a minimum benchmark and then other factors are weighed up.
    Ah okay that makes sense!!! Thankyou very much Jessica!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Is it weird that I have not received a rejection from Akin Gump or received an interview invite since doing Watson Glaser in January like 21st January. Should I email them about the application update or wait for a while.

M&Amakesmyday

Star Member
    Oct 30, 2021
    I'm really in a bit of a tight spot right now and I'm a little worried. I got offered a vacation scheme with one firm that ends on a Tuesday and there's another vacation scheme I want that begins that same week, but Monday. There's basically an overlap of two days. I really want to attend both schemes but that would mean missing the Monday and Tuesday of the first firm's scheme.

Long story short: is there any way a firm would be willing to allow me to miss the last two days of their scheme because it overlaps with another scheme? Or will I have to reject one firm?

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    I have secured a paralegal interview with an elite US firm, despite having no prior paralegal experience. I’m worried I won’t get it exactly because I don’t have experience (it has already happened to me once…). I think this is a major problem for me because it prevents me from coming across as a confident candidate.

Does anyone have any advice on how to ‘sell myself’ better? Especially on how I can walk into the interview feeling confident instead of worthless?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share their advice🙏🏻

• 🏆
    Reactions: djqb and anon123456789

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm really in a bit of a tight spot right now and I'm a little worried. I got offered a vacation scheme with one firm that ends on a Tuesday and there's another vacation scheme I want that begins that same week, but Monday. There's basically an overlap of two days. I really want to attend both schemes but that would mean missing the Monday and Tuesday of the first firm's scheme.

Long story short: is there any way a firm would be willing to allow me to miss the last two days of their scheme because it overlaps with another scheme? Or will I have to reject one firm?
    This happens a lot each cycle so although it is frustrating, it is something a lot of candidates have to deal with.

You’ll need to speak with either or both firms to see if there is any flexibility with their scheme dates. For instance, can they offer you alternative dates or could they move the start/end date?

If neither firm can, then you will have to decline/renege an offer of one of the two firms, but when you do, see if there are any alternatives available. For instance, can you be considered for a direct TC opportunity instead?

• Love
    Reactions: M&Amakesmyday

M&Amakesmyday

Star Member
    Oct 30, 2021
    This happens a lot each cycle so although it is frustrating, it is something a lot of candidates have to deal with.

You’ll need to speak with either or both firms to see if there is any flexibility with their scheme dates. For instance, can they offer you alternative dates or could they move the start/end date?

If neither firm can, then you will have to decline/renege an offer of one of the two firms, but when you do, see if there are any alternatives available. For instance, can you be considered for a direct TC opportunity instead?
    Thanks so much for the quick response and for your help! That's really helpful - I didn't think about the direct TC route. I'm going to email them both and ask.

lawcurious

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2021
    I think it’ll be a couple of weeks till we hear back. The deadline was only yesterday midnight
    oh what? last i checked the deadline was 4th of feb and a few people did TI's in the last couple of weeks. maybe they extended it!

edit: just checked and the website still says the deadline is 4th of feb - am i getting something wrong here? 😅

Reactions: GXA123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.