TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I have secured a paralegal interview with an elite US firm, despite having no prior paralegal experience. I’m worried I won’t get it exactly because I don’t have experience (it has already happened to me once…). I think this is a major problem for me because it prevents me from coming across as a confident candidate.

Does anyone have any advice on how to ‘sell myself’ better? Especially on how I can walk into the interview feeling confident instead of worthless?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share their advice🙏🏻
Everyone starts somewhere. I've known a few people who went to paralegal at big international/US firms with no prior experience and absolutely killed it. If they've invited you to interview, they're not too fussed about experience levels - they've seen your CV. They'll want to see a willingness to learn and evidence that you can come up to speed quickly (these were key focuses in my recent US firm paralegal interview, even with my relatively hefty prior experience in-house and in general corporate roles). If you can show that, you'll be stood in good stead.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I have secured a paralegal interview with an elite US firm, despite having no prior paralegal experience. I’m worried I won’t get it exactly because I don’t have experience (it has already happened to me once…). I think this is a major problem for me because it prevents me from coming across as a confident candidate.

Does anyone have any advice on how to ‘sell myself’ better? Especially on how I can walk into the interview feeling confident instead of worthless?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share their advice🙏🏻
Also, critically, remember that not getting a particular role doesn't really reflect on you - I loved a few jobs i interviewed for in the past couple months, interviews went great, recruiters reported great feedback, but they didn't pan out. These things happen - I ended up with multiple offers the day I was offered my current job, which turned out to be perfect for my career trajectory. Don't sweat it too much.

Reactions: bibss, AvniD and Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks so much for the quick response and for your help! That's really helpful - I didn't think about the direct TC route. I'm going to email them both and ask.
Call them rather than email - a conversation over the phone will be far better for things like this.

Reactions: M&Amakesmyday

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! Had a small question I couldn't find an answer to - are you allowed to do a Vacation Scheme if you have already accepted a training contract elsewhere?
It depends on the terms of your vacation scheme offer - some will say you can’t complete the scheme if you have accepted a TC elsewhere. Check the terms you accepted for specifics.

Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How likely are firms able to give you your choice of a scheme? They asked my preference and I gave them, but I can only do one of the schemes.
This is down to a lot of variables which means knowing what your chances are, is impossible. You will only know this by speaking to the firm in question.

If you can only do one, tell them you can only do one set of dates rather than saying you have preference.

Homer

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 12, 2021
Is it weird that I have not received a rejection from Akin Gump or received an interview invite since doing Watson Glaser in January like 21st January. Should I email them about the application update or wait for a while.
I'm in the same situation. I did the test back in November. Been considering emailing them.

HopefulForALawJob

Star Member
  • Feb 3, 2022
    Yh because I remember seeing someone post on here that they had an interview/ VS offer from them. It would help to clarify whats going on.
    I did my WG test around 13-17 Jan and haven't heard from them (Akin Gump for those that just tuned in) since. Have emailed once or twice to no avail. Considering they have a small intake, and people have been talking about AC/VS, I'm classing myself firmly as a PFO

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

jellybelly123

Star Member
    Nov 1, 2021
    Has anyone else heard nothing from Hogan Lovells after passing the WG back in December? 🧐 When they emailed my results they said I would hear about the status of my application "within the next month" - does this warrant me emailing and asking when I may hear back?

ola830

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2021
    Is it normal for recruitment agencies to ask for a photocopy of your passport? I have been invited to sign up to this recruitment agency, but to do that I need to upload a scan of my passport....and it is a bit unnerving to be sharing this information online. @Jessica Booker

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Is it normal for recruitment agencies to ask for a photocopy of your passport? I have been invited to sign up to this recruitment agency, but to do that I need to upload a scan of my passport....and it is a bit unnerving to be sharing this information online. @Jessica Booker
    Not Jessica but I’ve given copies of my passport before. It’s just to verify your identity. If it is a reputable agency I wouldn’t be too concerned.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Perfectly normal they need to see that you have the right to work here and also general information to be checked.

Reactions: ola830 and WillF
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.