TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Its a FTC role
It will be fine to include it then - sometime you have to tread carefully if you are trying to apply for another job when you haven’t even started the one you have got.

I’d keep it brief - you haven’t started working there yet and so you can’t really talk about your experiences with the firm beyond the recruitment process. Something as brief as that you are looking forward to joining the firm in August as a Paralegal is likely to be sufficient. You may want to make it clear it is a FTC role though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Out of curiosity has anyone applied for and got a vac scheme whilst being employed at another firm? how did your employer handle it? as there could be conflicts and clauses in employment contracts that could restrict being able to do so
I know there are plenty of people who have done this in the forums - it’s come up in conversation many times.

The main thing is 1) check your terms and conditions of employment and 2) check whether you can take the time off first. You’ll need to disclose your reasoning for having time off and your current firm will make a decision to decline/approve it from there.

If they do approve it, conflict checks are likely to need to be done with both your current employer and your VS firm.

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell and Hus95

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hey @Jessica Booker can I do my vac schemes if i have already accepted a training contract offer? I would really value the experience as i have never done a vac scheme or any legal work for that matter. i can’t find anything in any of my contracts that says i can’t. also must i disclose this to both my vs and tc firms?
If there is nothing in either contract, then there is nothing stopping you from doing this. You may need to disclose the other firm's opportunity as part of conflict checks outside of any contractual terms. However, it will depend on what the firm asks from you as part of that conflicts check too.

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
Hi all, not sure where to put this question so sorry if it shouldn't be here, but what do men typically wear on a vacation scheme? Do I have to wear a suit and tie everyday or can I come in a bit more smart-casual e.g., quarter-zips or a jumper over my shirt without a tie?

Reactions: George Maxwell

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi all, not sure where to put this question so sorry if it shouldn't be here, but what do men typically wear on a vacation scheme? Do I have to wear a suit and tie everyday or can I come in a bit more smart-casual e.g., quarter-zips or a jumper over my shirt without a tie?
    I don't think most law firms have the suit policy anymore.

I have been a paralegal at 3 different law firms and none of them have I seen lawyers wear suits but I guess it can be different for your VS firm.

Travers Smith is the prime example of not wearing a suit. Everyone ast Travers wears shirts just with no tie.

I recently attended a networking event at Weil in their London office and their legal counsel did not wear a suit and he was going back to the office after that networking event.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My advice would be to go more formal on your first day and gauge how informal it is from there.

You can always take a tie and a jacket off to look more informal, but it is much more difficult to "dress up" if you have got a client meeting you are invited to last-minute that requires a suit and tie if you don't have them to hand.

If you are connected with any current trainees on LinkedIn, it would be a good question to ask them about what to expect, as firms can have very different views on this topic and sometimes it is just good to get direct insight from people who are experiencing it on a day-to-day basis.

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    hey @Jessica Booker can I do my vac schemes if i have already accepted a training contract offer? I would really value the experience as i have never done a vac scheme or any legal work for that matter. i can’t find anything in any of my contracts that says i can’t. also must i disclose this to both my vs and tc firms?
    Hey - just wanted to offer my thoughts on this. Congrats on securing a TC!

I would simply say that even if you are contractually permitted to complete a VS, or multiple schemes, after signing a TC, I would think twice before doing so. Securing a VS is a remarkable achievement, however, many deeply diligent, intelligent and qualified candidates are unable to do so because of the very, very fierce competition. Clearly, many people are desperate to break into a firm via a VS.

I would consider politely declining a VS when holding a TC, to allow another deserving person a chance to enter the profession, as I, and am sure others on this forum have done. Hope all goes well!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I would simply say that even if you are contractually permitted to complete a VS, or multiple schemes, after signing a TC, I would think twice before doing so. Securing a VS is a remarkable achievement, however, many deeply diligent, intelligent and qualified candidates are unable to do so because of the very, very fierce competition. Clearly, many people are desperate to break into a firm via a VS.

I would consider politely declining a VS when holding a TC, to allow another deserving person a chance to enter the profession, as I, and am sure others on this forum have done. Hope all goes well!
    Normally I would also echo this point. However, on this occasion the individual has not gained any legal work experience/vacation schemes, and so the vacation scheme might help them. They could easily work out the career or the TC firm isn’t for them from their VS experience. However, I get that it is still contentious and you could still argue whether it is fair to take a vacation scheme from someone else if there is little to no chance of you looking to secure a TC with the firm. I’d argue that many people do that with VS anyway though and look at them as a way to develop their CV rather than a conversion opportunity.

hassanali

• Dec 16, 2021

100% agreed and not just this, The Law Society also as a matter of good practice strongly states that once a TC has been accepted the candidates should withdraw from the other processes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    100% agreed and not just this, The Law Society also as a matter of good practice strongly states that once a TC has been accepted the candidates should withdraw from the other processes.
    I must stress this is a voluntary code - there are no implications for not sticking to it (many firms don’t stick to their obligations within the code).

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
    While I was at a VS, a few members of the firm I met (inc. the Head of Office) asked if I have other VS lined up in the summer.. I wonder if this is a trick question and should I be honest about having other VS or just give a vague answer that I have applied to a few but havent heard back?

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    While I was at a VS, a few members of the firm I met (inc. the Head of Office) asked if I have other VS lined up in the summer.. I wonder if this is a trick question and should I be honest about having other VS or just give a vague answer that I have applied to a few but havent heard back?
    I'd be honest, it shows your integrity and it is not at all unusual for people to undertake multiple vacation schemes. I can't see how this would be a trick question at all.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It isn’t a trick question. They are just genuinely interested in finding out who else you are applying to and how this may weigh up against how interested you are in them.

Reactions: AvniD

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey @NMA,

If I were you, I would follow Jess's excellent advice here. Always better to be smarter than you need to be. Dressing down is always possible. Personally when I went in for my schemes I wore a suit. I did bring a tie with me but never used it (except for my interview but even then I don't think it was probably necessary). Black shoes too.

I think Jess's idea about asking current trainees what their thoughts are is a good one too. Perhaps consider asking your buddy when you meet them on the scheme.

Hope that helps!
    Hi @Jessica Booker @George Maxwell, I’m preparing for an interview and was wondering if you could provide any assistance whatsoever.
    The question is: How can a law firm prepare for the application of space law in the “real world”?

Thank you x
    Hey @John Abram,

This is a really tough one.

Off the top of my head, I don't think I can add much value here. However, I have found the following which might be useful:

I will also ask the wider TCLA team to see if they have any ideas on this too.

I hope this helps!
    Hey @ashleigh22,

To echo what people have already said about this, I would be honest about this. When I participated in HSF and Akin Gump's vacation scheme, for example, I was honest that I had received an offer from W&C. It was not a trick question and I was still offered the training contract, so I wouldn't worry about this hurting your chances.

You should be ready to prepare for questions such as: "Who do you think you will pick if you were offered a TC at both firms?", "Why haven't you accepted your offer yet?" and if they are very different firms, "Why are you completing a vacation scheme here if you already have an offer from X? They are very different from us etc.".

Very happy to answer any follow-ups you might have on this Ashleigh!

• 🤝
    Reactions: John Travoni
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.