TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2022
Hey @Ameliaa,

You are very welcome! Let me know when you hear back 🏆
It's been over a week, and I have not yet heard back from the firm. I don't want to email them again incase they find me annoying/I leave a bad impression.

But I'm glad I informed them! I will just accept the consequences of my mistake and take it as a lesson for next time :)

Reactions: George Maxwell

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Hey - just wanted to offer my thoughts on this. Congrats on securing a TC!

I would simply say that even if you are contractually permitted to complete a VS, or multiple schemes, after signing a TC, I would think twice before doing so. Securing a VS is a remarkable achievement, however, many deeply diligent, intelligent and qualified candidates are unable to do so because of the very, very fierce competition. Clearly, many people are desperate to break into a firm via a VS.

I would consider politely declining a VS when holding a TC, to allow another deserving person a chance to enter the profession, as I, and am sure others on this forum have done. Hope all goes well!

Hey, thanks for your response.
    Like I said I have no legal or corporate experience - so I am still trying to make a firm decision about a career in law, and also the type of firm I want to train at. I got a TC offer early in the process with a 1 week deadline to respond(which, btw, goes against the voluntary code) so would’ve been silly to decline it when I had no other offers to consider at the time.
    I might do the vac schemes and decide law is not for me at all. I might do them and decide i much prefer one of my VS firms instead.
    It’s a big decision and I don’t want to jump into it with limited visibility - so if I’m lucky enough to be offered the opportunity to visit some firms for a few weeks i’ll definitely take it.

Also the firm probably has a number of places to fill so if I reject an offer after a scheme - it will be offered to someone else anyway. doing multiple schemes doesn’t prevent ppl accessing the profession as I can only accept one TC at the end of the day.

Last edited:

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    My scheme starts next week and I’ve just had my supervisor and trainee buddy send me a joint email introducing themselves. I’m wondering whether it is fine to just respond or whether I should take further steps before the scheme now I’ve got their details?

Reactions: George Maxwell

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Hey, thanks for your response.
    Like I said I have no legal or corporate experience - so I am still trying to make a firm decision about a career in law, and also the type of firm I want to train at. I got a TC offer early in the process with a 1 week deadline to respond(which, btw, goes against the voluntary code) so would’ve been silly to decline it when I had no other offers to consider at the time.
    I might do the vac schemes and decide law is not for me at all. I might do them and decide i much prefer one of my VS firms instead.
    It’s a big decision and I don’t want to jump into it with limited visibility - so if I’m lucky enough to be offered the opportunity to visit some firms for a few weeks i’ll definitely take it.

Also the firm probably has a number of places to fill so if I reject an offer after a scheme - it will be offered to someone else anyway. doing multiple schemes doesn’t prevent ppl accessing the profession as I can only accept one TC at the end of the day.
    Hey - you make a number of good points.

I hadn't considered that I was fortunate enough to come away from a VS knowing that the firm was right for me. Upon refection, it may be right to try and experience a few different firms via multiple VS', but it can be difficult to justify, on occasion, because of the significant competition to access a VS and gain some corporate experience.

Best of luck with the schemes!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    It's been over a week, and I have not yet heard back from the firm. I don't want to email them again incase they find me annoying/I leave a bad impression.

But I'm glad I informed them! I will just accept the consequences of my mistake and take it as a lesson for next time :)
    Hey @Ameliaa,

That's unfortunate but I am really happy to hear that you have such a positive outlook on this. You have done all that you can now I think, so I would wait to hear back.

Please do reach out if something like this happens in the future, or if you have any other queries or questions!
    My scheme starts next week and I’ve just had my supervisor and trainee buddy send me a joint email introducing themselves. I’m wondering whether it is fine to just respond or whether I should take further steps before the scheme now I’ve got their details?
    Hey @ek125712,

Wow this is lovely! If I were in your position I would be really impressed by this.

If it were me, I would email back to thank them. I would also ask in the same email whether there is anything specific that you could do to best prepare for the scheme, and specifically for the tasks that they plan on setting you. Include the fact that you are keeping up to date with commercial affairs etc. but that you are keen to hit the ground running when you start!

Let me know how they respond and keep us updated about the scheme goes too! I really hope that it goes your way🤞

lawstudent321

Standard Member
    May 6, 2022
    Did anyone who has secured a Vacation Scheme attend the AS 'HeadStart into Vacation Schemes'? I had a place but couldn't go so I was wondering if there was anything useful to take away from it. Any advice would be appreciated as I have my first VS starting in 2 weeks!

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    Anyone else been put on the reserve list for AC for Shoosmiths post VI, or have been in the past? Wondering if there is point still holding out hope
    I'm in the same position this year so can't offer any advice but can sympathise! Vaguely amusing that the email said I may be invited at short notice when it's already only a week away - how much shorter can it get..!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    If a paralegal role has the option to upload a cover letter (only a CV is compulsory) - is it necessary to write one? Sorry if an irrelevant question for this thread!
    If it is through a recruiter then I would avoid it but if it is through a direct application you can if you want.

I usually don't do it and have received interviews both directly applying and through a recruiter.

I think writting a cover letter is a waste of time.

KLittle95

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    May 29, 2021
    I'm in the same position this year so can't offer any advice but can sympathise! Vaguely amusing that the email said I may be invited at short notice when it's already only a week away - how much shorter can it get..!
    Anyone else been put on the reserve list for AC for Shoosmiths post VI, or have been in the past? Wondering if there is point still holding out hope
    Also on the reserve list - seems a rather large one!

Reactions: OliverF77

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Is it standard to bring a laptop with you on your first day of a vac scheme?

Hey - you'll be given all the IT equipment you need, likely on the first day.

Took my Mac with me on the first day of VS with W&C, for example, which was unnecessary, as we were all given new, secure laptops with access to Firm IT infrastructure + headsets and a mouse.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.