TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm currently going through the Hogan Lovells application form - on the question about innovative and entrepreneurial spirit, the main example I can think of is organising a panel event as president of my university college's law society (through moving the event online due to COVID, liaising with panellists beforehand to help them adapt to technological changes, marketing the event online through social media and through communicating with careers officers and my counterparts at other law societies) - however, the one problem is that I talked about this event for last year's VS application, and received a rejection. I hasten to add that I don't think it was because of this question - not only because I was successful talking at length about this event on other application forms, but also because I feel in hindsight that other answers I submitted were not as good, and the time I submitted the application (mid-late December IIRC) may have been too late, given Hogan Lovells' application policy?

Do you reckon it would be okay to talk about organising the panel event again on this year's application form?

@Jessica Booker
Yes - sounds perfectly ok to use. My only advice would be to really try to focus on the innovation you implemented. I see a lot of these answers around adapting society activities online, and my only concern is that everyone had to do that - it wasn’t necessarily innovation just necessity. However, I have seen these examples work well when they really focus on the novel/unique aspects of how they adapted to online methods

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Stephenson Harwood:

1. Tell us about a time you have exceeded expectations in your work and/or study. (250)
  • What challenges did you experience?
  • How did you respond to those challenges?
  • What was the outcome?
2. Tell us about responsibilities you have taken on outside of work and/or study. (250)
  • Outline your personal achievements
  • What motivated you to achieve this?
  • How have you worked effectively with others?
3. Describe how you came to the decision to apply to Stephenson Harwood. (250)
  • What sources did you use to research the firm?
  • What is it about our work that appeals to you?
  • What do you think the firm can offer you?
4. Are there any other particular matters which you wish to mention? (250)
  • Are there any reasonable adjustments that you would like the firm to make during the selection process?
  • If you are changing careers, you may wish to tell us about your decision?
  • If you have taken a gap year, you may wish to tell us about what you did?
  • Do you have any additional information that you have not included elsewhere in the form that the interviewer should be aware of?
HSF (I applied for Winter but I assume they are the same):

1. Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you. (We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests) (Up to 300 words)

2. Why are you interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills? (Up to 300 words)

3. What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role? (Up to 300 words)
Thanks for this, @OB. For SH, are the bullet points part of the app questions or are they just things you yourself jotted down?

Reactions: LawStudent2000

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
I’d try to ensure there is some kind of connection to the events and the firm you are applying to, even if just that the firms do similar work. If you have the word count you could briefly talk about either what you learnt or how the events have shaped your career motivation.
Would it be expected that you name the different firms' events that you went to? I'm also not sure if this is an appropriate place to talk about the virtual vac schemes I completed via The Forage.

Simba281

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 4, 2020
Hey! One of Hogan Lovells’ Qs asks about open days and events you’ve attended in the legal sector but I haven’t attended any as I’ve been working full time for the past 2 years- would it be ok to leave this question blank?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would it be expected that you name the different firms' events that you went to? I'm also not sure if this is an appropriate place to talk about the virtual vac schemes I completed via The Forage.
Yes - they will want specific details, either the name of the firm and the type of event, or even when it happened (even if it is just something like “autumn 2020”.

It is usually a good place to include virtual vacation schemes or e-learning platforms too.

Reactions: anxiouslawyer

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Hey! One of Hogan Lovells’ Qs asks about open days and events you’ve attended in the legal sector but I haven’t attended any as I’ve been working full time for the past 2 years- would it be ok to leave this question blank?
It's not an optional question, so I think you have to provide an answer for your application to be considered completed. Legal Cheek and All About Law have some events going on this week, if you'd like to include some!

Reactions: WillF

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Curious for people's thoughts on Sidley - is it alright in the 'why Sidley' bit to lean heavily into their PE practice? It's something they highlight quite a bit but isn't one of their ranked practices so not quite their bread and butter (yet, at least); I'm wary of seeming disinterested or cavalier about their other areas (I'm not) but based on my prior experience PE is the area in which I can most credibly substantiate my interest. Only have about 125 words for that part of the application, so I'd have to sacrifice depth to cast a broader net.
    No problem leaning into the PE at all but don't forget to look at the other practices as you will likely train in them at some point - and if your partner interview is with someone who isn't PE you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot if that makes sense?

Reactions: Dheepa and Rob93

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    I've been wondering when it comes to sort of the 'invitations' from firms through Vantage.. are they automatic? What I mean is - does everyone get them?
    I believe the majority are general and are sent to many different people, maybe not quite automatic though. However I did have one Slaughter and May one that was personalised.

George.E.

May 26, 2021
    Has anyone applied to Cleary Gottlieb yet? If so, do you know how many words or what sort of length the firm prefers their cover letter to be? The application page doesn't stipulate a length. Many thanks :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.