TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Ah ok thank you! I applied last year and got the test almost immediately so I started being afraid...
    This is the 4th (!!!) time I am applying to them and it's been varied. It used to be the second stage of the screening process but now they send it automatically - as someone else mentioned they just have to trigger it. I have also seen that some people got their VI invite but this is not set up yet so it might be that they want to focus on developing that before sending out more SJTs - hence why there is a delay this year in comparison to last year. In any case, not a PFO :)

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Just wanted to throw out for people looking to boost commercial awareness that I recently subscribed to Matt Levine's free 'Money Stuff' newsletter. It's from Bloomberg but free - extremely informative, incisive and funny (did I mention free?) A bit american-centric and I think at its best if you already have some familiarity with financial markets, but super accessible and very fun.

horsesforlawcourses

Oct 14, 2021
    Has anyone heard back from A&O after ACs last week? They said it could be either 2 weeks or next year, but the longer I wait without hearing, it feels like a no. I know I did terribly so not hopeful, I just want to know so I can move on!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    I’m absolutely stumped on how to answer the ashurst summer vac scheme question “please summarise for us what a commercial lawyer does”.
    Should I give a general overview? Or touch more upon one of their practice areas and what a lawyer may do within this area?
    I think I may give a general overview and then focus upon the clients/law firms actually being a business in and of itself?

Hi @Hele25,

This is a great question. I think, if you are still struggling with this, it might be a good idea to start a new thread, or to add to an existing thread related specifically to Ashurst/application questions. I think you will get a better response that way! Posts on this thread have a tendency to get swallowed up/lost because of the volume of posts.

For what it is worth, I think that your approach sounds like a sensible one.

Do let me know how it goes. Here to answer any questions in the meantime! 🚀
    Just wanted to throw out for people looking to boost commercial awareness that I recently subscribed to Matt Levine's free 'Money Stuff' newsletter. It's from Bloomberg but free - extremely informative, incisive and funny (did I mention free?) A bit american-centric and I think at its best if you already have some familiarity with financial markets, but super accessible and very fun.
    @Rob93, thank you for the suggestion! I will subscribe to this now!

Resources I find/found particularly useful are:
    1. Watson's Daily (I still subscribe and it really is great). I mostly read it over breakfast/a coffee ☕.
    2. @BK's posts (found here). They are fantastic.

Hope that helps :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.