TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoned

Distinguished Member
Nov 1, 2021
Daily reminder to triple check your apps before you send them off. Just sent one with my name spelt wrong... thank god for apply4law's system that lets you change your personal details even after sending.

• 🏆
Reactions: Hamilton

hf77777

Dec 1, 2021
Hey everyone! Can someone explain the CC process a bit more to me because I’m a bit confused? I applied for IGNITE 2023 in August and did Watson Glaser, got 95 percentile and was told I was successful after Watson Glaser and that my application is now under review. But other people are saying they are receiving emails saying “your profile is of interest” and other communication from Grad Rec to that effect. Should I be concerned that I didn’t receive this email or anything since the application under review email?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Daily reminder to triple check your apps before you send them off. Just sent one with my name spelt wrong... thank god for apply4law's system that lets you change your personal details even after sending.
It’s actually pretty common.

One of the reasons many people don’t hear back is because they don’t include an accurate email address - that’s crazily common! The amount of bounce back emails you get as a recruiter due to email mistakes always blows my mind.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Ashurst asks 'Please summarise for us what a commercial lawyer does' (250w) - this seems quite broad, as contentious/advisory/transactional work are all substantively different. Any tips on how to approach this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ashurst asks 'Please summarise for us what a commercial lawyer does' (250w) - this seems quite broad, as contentious/advisory/transactional work are all substantively different. Any tips on how to approach this?
I would try to think of the similarities in their roles and the broader purpose of a commercial lawyer, rather than think about the processes they are responsible for or the subjects they are experts in.

Reactions: Rob93

kitty_kat

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 10, 2020
Hi! For Clifford Chance's work experience section, does anyone know if you should put in (briefly) what you've learnt from the experience. Or is it just best to stick to the facts? The application didn't specify.

@Jessica Booker what are your thoughts?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi! For Clifford Chance's work experience section, does anyone know if you should put in (briefly) what you've learnt from the experience. Or is it just best to stick to the facts? The application didn't specify.

I was told by grad recruiter that using STAR is a good idea so a bullet point for S then etc.

Reactions: kitty_kat

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Yes, you can briefly highly key learnings if you think they aren’t obvious from other aspects of your description.

Reactions: kitty_kat

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Hey everyone! Can someone explain the CC process a bit more to me because I’m a bit confused? I applied for IGNITE 2023 in August and did Watson Glaser, got 95 percentile and was told I was successful after Watson Glaser and that my application is now under review. But other people are saying they are receiving emails saying “your profile is of interest” and other communication from Grad Rec to that effect. Should I be concerned that I didn’t receive this email or anything since the application under review email?

Hey!

Congratulations on passing the Watson Glaser Test.

From what I know, the people that received emails saying "Your profile is of interest..." are people who haven't yet been invited to do the Watson Glaser Test. Therefore, they're one step before you as you've already passed the test and your application is under review.

I guess the only thing to worry now is whether you get invited to AC (along with all the other candidates who passed the WG Test).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: xtinew

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    For everyone that was invited to CC's WG Test earlier this week and submitted their test:

1. Have you heard back on whether you're being progressed?
    1(a). If so, how long was the gap from submitting your test and getting the email?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Y-Gurl

Dec 2, 2021
    Hi, If since applying to Addleshaw Goddard I have started some work experience should I ring grad. recruitment to ask if it can be added to my form or just accept that as i have submitted my application it is too late to make changes. Also do AG just want you to include paid work experience? Thanks very much

SCN

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 20, 2020
    Hiya, I think the people who received emails like "your profile is of interest" and other communications are those who applied to the 2023 direct TC - not IGNITE. So, for 2023 TC, CC reviews the apps first and then sends WG if successful. If you've applied to 2024 TC or any other TC/scheme (like IGNITE or SPARK) then I'm guessing it's their standard procedure, which is to do WG first and if you pass, then your app is reviewed. Very confusing this year !! but congratulations on passing WG and all the best of luck with your app :)

Reactions: Haris and John Travoni

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, If since applying to Addleshaw Goddard I have started some work experience should I ring grad. recruitment to ask if it can be added to my form or just accept that as i have submitted my application it is too late to make changes. Also do AG just want you to include paid work experience? Thanks very much
    Unfortunately I would just leave it - it’s difficult for GR to add such information to your application without it causing too much work for them (if they did it for you, they would have to do it for everyone else).

Work experience will always include paid or voluntary roles unless the firm explicitly states it only wants paid employment.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Apart from bringing in key responsibilities, skills and attributes of commercial lawyers more generally, I'd also emphasise what makes commercial lawyers distinct from other city professionals- what client needs are commercial lawyers fulfilling?

I think these articles here do a great job at breaking down what a commercial lawyer does-

I hope this helps!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.