TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamJW

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 21, 2019
Do you receive confirmation or an email once you complete the BM WG? My screen went black after I pressed finish and I am really hoping I do not have to do it again 🤣

Reactions: YUKI1201

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
Thanks for the info! Any clue on whether this test is the same as WG, or is it tougher/easier??
The last time I checked, Pinsent Masons doesn't use the WG - they use the Graduate Managerial Assessment Abstract test (GMA). If you get invited to take the test they'll probably give you more info about this. There are very little practice tests replicating the GMA out there (compared to WG). I've never taken it myself so I don't really know what to expect either. But the future trainee I spoke to said that he just did as many free practice tests (with elements similar to the GMA) that he could find online and eventually he passed the real thing and progressed to AC. Whether it's easier/tougher than the WG is subjective I guess, since WG is pretty much only testing your critical thinking and verbal reasoning but the GMA also tests non-verbal/abstract reasoning. But whatever it is you'll definitely get better at it with practice.

Reactions: vacschemeapss

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    If people want to boost commercial awareness and have fun doing it, read Barbarians at the Gate. Essential reading for anyone interested in PE but also touches on M&A more broadly, corporate governance, finance, all kinds.

A slightly more esoteric companion piece I've been enjoying lately is The Predators' Ball, which revolves around the development of the junk bond market which fuelled the 80s takeover boom.
    Barbarians at the Gate was a brilliant read! Read more like a thriller than a business book. I’m not even interested in PE (nor did I really understand it before reading) and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Rob93 and Asil Ahmad

gg332dd

Valued Member
    Apr 2, 2020
    Dig a level (or two deeper):

Why does the firm offer a guaranteed overseas secondment?
    What is the benefit to you of a secondment?
    Why is a mix of contentious and non-contentious work important to you?
    What is it about the firm's global reach that is different to other firm's that also have a global reach?
    Thank you Jesicca, this helps a lot!

alice_28

Jan 2, 2022
    hi @Jessica Booker @AvniD, I have been invited to video interview by Simmons and have 7 days to do the interviews. However, my exams begin in 2 days and do not finish until the 19th. Is this a good enough reason, to request an extension ?
    I have the same problem! My exams started today and run until the 20th but would they agree to such a long extension? I probably could do the VI this weekend but this is the first one I've got so I want to spend enough time preparing.

Reactions: golden99

elizabethjo123

Star Member
    Jan 7, 2021
    I have the same problem! My exams started today and run until the 20th but would they agree to such a long extension? I probably could do the VI this weekend but this is the first one I've got so I want to spend enough time preparing.
    I had the same issue with Irwin Mitchell and requested a week’s extension because the 7 days completely coincided with my exam period but they said no because their application deadline had already passed :( I’m not sure what Simmons’ approach would be but just a heads up. Worth asking though!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    hi @Jessica Booker @AvniD, I have been invited to video interview by Simmons and have 7 days to do the interviews. However, my exams begin in 2 days and do not finish until the 19th. Is this a good enough reason, to request an extension ?
    I think they will allow an extension. I remember last year I had exams and had to do Kennedys online test and they gave me an extension so they might allow it.

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2020
    Complete noob here -- im writing my white & case cover letter, and in the 'why W&C' paragraph I mentioned their global reach and training structure (guaranteed overseas secondment + mix of contentious/non-contentious. -- just wondering if this is too generic, or if there's a way to elevate at all?
    I wrote about the secondment as they are really keen on this! Similar to the other points raised, I made sure to build a narrative as to why I liked the secondment and what it means to me. So for example, there is a specific office I'm really keen to go to because of something I studied in my degree and how that office had done something related, then I mentioned how white and Case had an office there, then the international secondment, and was this meant in terms of connecting those two things to me. I haven't heard the outcome yet so take it with a grain of salt but that's the approach I took !:)

Sfernan21

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 26, 2021
    Hi all, well done on getting through to these stages! If you can, I would probably do the interviews within the prescribed timeframe. I presume you are talking about the GDL exams [I have exams on the days you have stated]. Good luck for them!

I think it's a testament to yourself and your ability to balance your studies/work/applications if you take the interviews as normal, without requesting an extension. This can then be used as a talking point if you get to the final interview stage! I appreciate it's not ideal, but commercial lawyers often have to turn things around/research/present information within a tight timeframe!

For context, I had an interview today, have one on Thursday and have my GDL exams on Wednesday and Friday (CHAOS).

I guess it is entirely up to you, but I am sure lots of your competitors will be juggling a lot of things, so would show some great and relevant competencies by not requesting an extension.

Good luck either way!!

psr23

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 15, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice on preparing for paralegal interviews? It’s my first paralegal interview and they haven’t provided a job description, not sure where to start…

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.