TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sz310

Jan 29, 2021
Does anyone have any advice on preparing for paralegal interviews? It’s my first paralegal interview and they haven’t provided a job description, not sure where to start…
I would recommend going on legal 500 to have a good look at the team you would be joining and the kind of work they do. Have a think about why you want to join this firm and that particular team.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hi @Jessica Booker @AvniD, I have been invited to video interview by Simmons and have 7 days to do the interviews. However, my exams begin in 2 days and do not finish until the 19th. Is this a good enough reason, to request an extension ?
You can ask for an extension and there is no issue in asking. However, the firm might not be able to provide an extension due to either fairness or their recruitment timeframes, and so be mindful you might still need to complete it within the next seven days.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Alison C and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have any advice on preparing for paralegal interviews? It’s my first paralegal interview and they haven’t provided a job description, not sure where to start…
Can you find other job descriptions for the same firm for similar jobs/roles?

Also consider the practice area you are aligned to and also the firm/company’s values, as these will give you you some indication of what questions/themes might come up in the interview.

Arche172372

Distinguished Member
Jan 7, 2022
Barbarians at the Gate was a brilliant read! Read more like a thriller than a business book. I’m not even interested in PE (nor did I really understand it before reading) and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Can I ask when did you apply to Akin and when did you get sent the WG? Thanks
Can’t remember when I applied but did the w-g in mid November - so am assuming it’s a rejection at this point tbh

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
hi @Jessica Booker @AvniD, I have been invited to video interview by Simmons and have 7 days to do the interviews. However, my exams begin in 2 days and do not finish until the 19th. Is this a good enough reason, to request an extension ?
I have the same problem! My exams started today and run until the 20th but would they agree to such a long extension? I probably could do the VI this weekend but this is the first one I've got so I want to spend enough time preparing.
You could ask for an extension as Jessica said but I do think that you may be able to prep for and take the video interview within the next week if you set aside 20-30 minutes every day towards preparing for it. I'm happy to link a post I recently wrote with my best tips and resources for VIs and the forum is here to support you with any help you may need- you've got this 💪

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Complete noob here -- im writing my white & case cover letter, and in the 'why W&C' paragraph I mentioned their global reach and training structure (guaranteed overseas secondment + mix of contentious/non-contentious. -- just wondering if this is too generic, or if there's a way to elevate at all?
The best way IMO to elevate a 'why this firm' answer is by linking it back to your motivations. So if you say you like their training structure then you should ➡️ talk about where you found this information + how you know this is an important feature for your TC ➡️ and then round it off by stating how you think your career/training will benefit from this feature. I hope this helps?

Reactions: mome101 and gg332dd

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I have just been offered an AC for the 20th January, but I have my final exams on the 19th. Do you think this a good enough reason to request a later slot? I don't want them to think I am unable to manage my time etc!
There is no harm in asking whether they have a later date as your exams only end the day before the AC and you'd like more time to prepare. Be prepared for them to say no though!

Reactions: jellybelly123
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.