TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofu

Premium Member
Dec 19, 2022
just wanted to say that this forum has been a great help to me!! wanted to give back and if anyone has any questions for Baker VI, feel free to pm me! iā€™ve just recently completed it. also if anyone has advice for CMS VI and Lathamā€™s VI, do pm me too! appreciate it :)

Reactions: Ali A

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
Oh lol sorry, no they didn't. I knew my referee (my seminar leader) would likely be unavailable because it's still winter break and lessons don't start until Monday and I was rejected by Jones Day so that may have played a part but idk.
I was also worried about that. Found it really hard to contact a referee given I graduated 3 years ago. My personal tutor doesn't provide references to anyone who has graduated more than one year ago and now she no longer works at my uni. I was quite confident in my application, but oh well

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
I was also worried about that. Found it really hard to contact a referee given I graduated 3 years ago. My personal tutor doesn't provide references to anyone who has graduated more than one year ago and now she no longer works at my uni. I was quite confident in my application, but oh well
Hi, just to let you know that it won't make any bearing on your application! When I applied to JD 2020, I was 2 years out of uni and my personal tutor was leaving at the time of my application. I ended up giving the email of the head of my uni's law school who taught me one module but was unlikely to remember me. At my Vac Scheme interview, there was a brief (friendly) mention that my reference just mentioned that I did indeed attend my uni on the dates I said and that I got the grades I said I did. I explained that those who tutored me closely had left so the uni could probably only provide a generic response and they completely understood!

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
Hi, just to let you know that it won't make any bearing on your application! When I applied to JD 2020, I was 2 years out of uni and my personal tutor was leaving at the time of my application. I ended up giving the email of the head of my uni's law school who taught me one module but was unlikely to remember me. At my Vac Scheme interview, there was a brief (friendly) mention that my reference just mentioned that I did indeed attend my uni on the dates I said and that I got the grades I said I did. I explained that those who tutored me closely had left so the uni could probably only provide a generic response and they completely understood!
That's good to know at least! Guess I need to brush up on my cover letter next time lol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
  • šŸ¤
Reactions: FutureTraineeWannabe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Canā€™t believe Iā€™m announcing this but Iā€™ve just recently received and accepted a training contract at Clyde & Co LLP!!!šŸ˜«šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸ„³šŸ„³šŸ¤©šŸ¤©šŸ¤©šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜ I thought the day would never come.
I canā€™t thank this forum and the entire TCLA team enough. It has most definitely been a rollercoaster of emotions and stress the past couple of years (4th cycle) but it all worked out in the end.

Thank you everyoneā€¦and just have faith. Your time is coming toošŸ’›
This is amazing news - congratulations!

Happy Season 17 GIF by America's Got Talent

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I need advice, serious advice. I've just gotten an Experience Day invite from EY for their Law Internship, but they've only given me one date which is the 26th of January to do it. 26th of January is also the date of my Freshfields AC, the EY one starts at 8:45 AM and ends at 12:45 PM and the Freshfields one starts at 1:15 PM. They're both virtual ACs. Is it plausible and fair to ask the EY graduate recruitment for an alternative AC date? Of course doing two ACs in a day would not be ideal at all but I do want to take every opportunity just in case, does anyone also have any experience doing two ACs back to back? Is it advisable at all? I thought more AC invites would be something I'd be jumping up and down about but this is causing me immense stress :(

@Jessica Booker I could really use for your expertise for this!
It is perfectly acceptable to ask for an alternative date - just explain you have commitments that day you cannot move and therefore is there any flexibility with the date they can offer.

TheBestSolicitorInTheWorld

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2022
But what about if your referee is unable to comment in time? I think on the application it said 10 days notice or something but I applied Dec 20th so obvs my referee wouldn't say anything during Christmas.
The whole referee thing for an application is dumb, they may as well wait until after interviews/ around AC time imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.