TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 24543

I received an email from Slaughter saying they had not decided on my application yet, and I informed them I had upcoming interviews and secured a VS offer. They replied, asking if I could let them know which specific firm gave me the offer. Why are they so keen on the specifics?
It's a talent war! I'm certain they want to remain competitive and ensure that you don't go off to their rivals (especially if it's an MC/US firm). I'd be honest if I were you, let them know you're a candidate that's in demand!

lawyering

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 29, 2020
It's a talent war! I'm certain they want to remain competitive and ensure that you don't go off to their rivals (especially if it's an MC/US firm). I'd be honest if I were you, let them know you're a candidate that's in demand!
But does talent war = needing to know the firm name?

Isn’t this a bit unnecessary? it allows Slaughters to potentially preempt a decision without meeting the candidate/hearing what their reasons are for applying to Slaughters versus the other firm.

I think it’s a fair enough question at interview though, especially if you deliberately mention that you have an offer with another firm!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I received an email from Slaughter saying they had not decided on my application yet, and I informed them I had upcoming interviews and secured a VS offer. They replied, asking if I could let them know which specific firm gave me the offer. Why are they so keen on the specifics?
Because it gives them an indication of the type of firms you are aiming for and how they fit into that.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
you do not have to give them anything. If you do not want to tell them just reply with the dates that you are not free.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
But does talent war = needing to know the firm name?

Isn’t this a bit unnecessary? it allows Slaughters to potentially preempt a decision without meeting the candidate/hearing what their reasons are for applying to Slaughters versus the other firm.

I think it’s a fair enough question at interview though, especially if you deliberately mention that you have an offer with another firm!
Plenty of people update firms when they receive offers from other firms and try to leverage this information. Other people update their applications with this information. So I don’t feel it’s any different to that, the firm is just trying to get a clear picture of your candidacy, and if you contact them to try and chase up the decision because you have got other offers, it then seems like a very logical question to ask who those offers are with (I’d do this if someone told me they had an offer but didn’t tell me who it was with).

I don’t really see any difference between deliberately emailing the firm to tell them you have an offer and deliberately bringing it up at interview apart form timings.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
you do not have to give them anything. If you do not want to tell them just reply with the dates that you are not free.
I’d disagree with this. You don’t have to tell them, obviously. But if you are asked a direct (and innocuous) question and you don’t go back with an answer to it, that is a bit of a red flag in my opinion. Automatically makes me think what are they trying to hide? Getting an offer elsewhere is a positive thing, I don’t know why you wouldn’t be ok contacting the firm to chase them up but not be willing to explain who the offer was with.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
I’d disagree with this. You don’t have to tell them, obviously. But if you are asked a direct (and innocuous) question and you don’t go back with an answer to it, that is a bit of a red flag in my opinion. Automatically makes me think what are they trying to hide? Getting an offer elsewhere is a positive thing, I don’t know why you wouldn’t be ok contacting the firm to chase them up but not be willing to explain who the offer was with.
Yeah I agree it is probably better to tell them (depending on the firm u have an offer with tbh). But at the end of the day you probably have an offer from one of their competitors and I think its okay to give them a nudge without divulging those details. If I had an offer from a US firm that was not particularly similar I would just reply with the dates.

Shi

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
anyone have any tips for the Simmons & Simmons test? what actually is it? is it like Ashurst?
A mix of SJT, math and verbal reasoning. 4 video interview questions at the end. They don't cap preparation time. The test part is similar with Mills & Reeve as they outsourced to the same company (some math questions are the very same

Reactions: CorpLawyer00

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah I agree it is probably better to tell them (depending on the firm u have an offer with tbh). But at the end of the day you probably have an offer from one of their competitors and I think it’s okay to give them a nudge without divulging those details. If I had an offer from a US firm that was not particularly similar I would just reply with the dates.
Your recipient could assume the worst though, which I think is risky. Vagueness is always frustrating to law firms and recruiters - especially when it’s obvious there is a reason as to why they are being vague.

Even if it was a different US firm, I don’t see an issue in naming them - I suspect it would be far more productive to name them than not.

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
had anyone heard back from willkie post VI + test, dechert post VI + test, baker mckenzie post vi, or reed smith post vi yet? (all for vac schemes)
Hi @lik0401 - you should have received a confirmation email from me saying that you will hear from us in 15 working days from the date of the last test (which was yesterday) as we do not start marking until all exercises have been taken. You should hear from us on or by Weds 15 February (all candidates will hear at the same time). Although this may seem like a long time to wait, please do bear in mind that the exercises are marked diligently by two associates, so it does take some time to turn around. Thanks, Gemma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.