TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdsou

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2021
if there are no mitigating circumstances etc, what would one normally put into an application question that states: "If applicable please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form." ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
if there are no mitigating circumstances etc, what would one normally put into an application question that states: "If applicable please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form." ?

LawDBA

Jan 10, 2023
I have an RPC AC on Wednesday, which I'm looking for some advice on.

There's a business case study, for which you have to produce a written argument before presenting your work to two people. And there's an interview consisting of competency, motivational and situational questions.

I'm not nervous about the first exercise. Everyone is given the same material and you just have to apply your critical reasoning.

But the interview sounds really demanding. According to previous TCLA posts it's over an hour long. Does anyone who has experience with RPC know particular questions they tend to ask? Or do others who have done ACs with other firms know the most common competency/situational/motivational questions (apart from why law, why this firm, example of juggling competing deadlines)? As you can probably guess this is my first ever interview with a law firm. Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: Klawdabbe

Civ457

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2022
in the stephenson harwood application, for the 'are there any particular methods which you wish to mention?'. is it ok if I put 'N/A' struggling to find something to say!

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
hey! I wanna first say that you should be proud of yourself b/c you made it to the AC stage! This is an achievement in itself. Look at this as experience for your B&B AC. If you haven’t already, contact grad rec for feedback, and based on that advice, try and focus on areas in which you feel can be improved on. If you have time, try and have a mock interview for more practice. Also search the tcla forums for advice on the B&B AC and try and prep as much as you can. Best of luck!!
Hey @jniceexo , thank you for your kind comment and sorry for the delay in responding. You're right about using that experience as practice. In the rejection email, CMS said they would reach out to us in Feb for feedback. I will definitely take them up on it, but I think it won't be in time for my B&B AC. I am pretty sure the case study interview was my downfall (won't go into the details here). This is my 5th cycle and as much as I try to keep positive, sometimes it is difficult to keep that up especially after feeling that I really gave it my all - a feeling many TCLA members can probably relate to. I'm feeling a lot better about the situation today tho and will take up your advice. Thank you :)

Last edited:

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
I never thought this time would come for me, but Shearman & Sterling VS offer!! 🥰 Also quite shocked since I did not attend Oxbridge! So keep applying and keep your hopes up!

Congratulations @bibss. I look forward to seeing you on the vacation scheme.

BTW - you shouldn't be so surprised - we don't just recruit from Oxbridge you know 🤣

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If the time of an application deadline isn’t specified, is it usually 11:59pm?
In most cases yes, some firms will close when their office hours close though at 5.00 or 5.30pm. Some firms also set specific times - I have seen a 12 noon deadline before for instance, but in these situations they usually make the specific time clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.