Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you. Are there any sort of rules for answering these questions, or if I take a common sense approach will that be ok?
My advice is to outline any of the assumptions/variables you would need to consider in the sceanrio. For instance with the following sceanerio:

A senior partner at your law firm comes into your office to give you some work. You are trying to keep up, but he leaves before you get a chance to clarify the details. You have a fair idea of what to do but you are a little confused by one of the parts of the task. What do you do?
  • Could you get time with or input from the Senior Partner to get clarification? If so, when might you choose to do this?
  • Are there people you know in the department who know a lot about the topic of the task who might be able to direct you?
  • What other resources might you have to utilise?
You then need to explain what assumptions you would be making in relation to this scenario and use that detail to explain why you would take the approach you are suggesting.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
My advice is to outline any of the assumptions/variables you would need to consider in the sceanrio. For instance with the following sceanerio:

A senior partner at your law firm comes into your office to give you some work. You are trying to keep up, but he leaves before you get a chance to clarify the details. You have a fair idea of what to do but you are a little confused by one of the parts of the task. What do you do?
  • Could you get time with or input from the Senior Partner to get clarification? If so, when might you choose to do this?
  • Are there people you know in the department who know a lot about the topic of the task who might be able to direct you?
  • What other resources might you have to utilise?
You then need to explain what assumptions you would be making in relation to this scenario and use that detail to explain why you would take the approach you are suggesting.
That’s so helpful - thank you!!

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
@Jessica Booker just wanted your advice if possible / if anyone can help! What is the best way to prepare for behavioural / SJTs? I feel that my feedback report is different for each firm I take a test for, outlining different strengths. I understand different firms have different values and take different qualities into consideration, but really hoping to do well in my upcoming tests.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker just wanted your advice if possible / if anyone can help! What is the best way to prepare for behavioural / SJTs? I feel that my feedback report is different for each firm I take a test for, outlining different strengths. I understand different firms have different values and take different qualities into consideration, but really hoping to do well in my upcoming tests.
This is going to come across as slightly contradictory (unfortunately).

Your reports will be different if you are trying to change your approach to questions based on what you think the firm wants you to say/answer, rather than how you would naturally respond.

However, trying to think about the firm's values (as you have highlighted) is probably a good idea when thinking about how to respond to each assessment.

I don't think there really is any preparation beyond this. However, it is important to think about the following when you do the test:
  • what is the most realistic approach?
  • what is the most efficient approach (your time is chargeable remember, so doing something for 10 hours when it can be done in 3 is not the best approach/use of your time)?
  • who is the most important person in this situation (it’s usually the client)?
  • what’s the most risk-adverse approach?
Most law firms are not expecting you to do everything/know everything, especially as a trainee. You are a small part of a large infrastructure (even in a small firm/small office), and you should remember that you can utilise that to ensure the best outcomes.

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
This is going to come across as slightly contradictory (unfortunately).

Your reports will be different if you are trying to change your approach to questions based on what you think the firm wants you to say/answer, rather than how you would naturally respond.

However, trying to think about the firm's values (as you have highlighted) is probably a good idea when thinking about how to respond to each assessment.

I don't think there really is any preparation beyond this. However, it is important to think about the following when you do the test:
  • what is the most realistic approach?
  • what is the most efficient approach (your time is chargeable remember, so doing something for 10 hours when it can be done in 3 is not the best approach/use of your time)?
  • who is the most important person in this situation (it’s usually the client)?
  • what’s the most risk-adverse approach?
Most law firms are not expecting you to do everything/know everything, especially as a trainee. You are a small part of a large infrastructure (even in a small firm/small office), and you should remember that you can utilise that to ensure the best outcomes.
Thank you so much - this is super helpful :)

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
Looking for someone to chime in on my marks. Context is I am an international student, studying a masters at one of the unis in London.

I received two marks back -- 66 and 68 (both merit). Is this good for MSc? The marking system in my home country is totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.