Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
does anyone know what's BCLP's application questions this year?
What do you find attractive about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner's sectors/departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why? (Max 200 words)

In your first 3 months as a trainee at BCLP, who would you seek to build relationships with, and what strategies would you implement to ensure that these relationships are long lasting? (Max 200 words)

Imagine you are a trainee at BCLP and you have been working on a task for an associate in the Finance department. The associate is away and a partner in the department urgently wants a summary note of the research to send to a client, and has asked you to send it to them by tomorrow morning. How would you react? (Max 200 words)

Please tell us about a time where you failed at something; what was the situation and how did you react? (Max 200 words)

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Hi guys,

One of the questions on Shearman's application form asks candidates why they are applying to a "City law firm" - is this generally interchangeable with "why commercial law" (so basically can be responded to with a normal "why commercial law" answer, but with references to "City law" rather than "commercial law"), or do you think it's more likely that Shearman are thinking along different lines (e.g. expecting candidates to talk about why they want to work for a firm that operates in the City, rather than a regional firm?

@Jessica Booker

Hey :)

This is a very specific question. Why do you want a legal career in the City specifically? Many regional firms have exceptional commercial practices as well, but they aren’t in the City. So be sure to make your answer slightly more focussed than you would if you were answering ‘why commercial law’.

Hope that helps and good luck with the application. You got this!

Reactions: pfoapplicant and bibss

WN20

Star Member
Nov 30, 2021
If I received a Clyde & Co VI invite last Thursday at 4 PM and have been given five days to complete it, does this mean that I need to complete my VI by Tuesday 4 PM or do I have the whole of Tuesday to complete it?

lawpersongirl123

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 13, 2021
Interview with Jones Day - have to meet a trainee and 2 senior lawyers. Would really appreciate any help/insight if anyone's done this before :)
congrats! very happy for you :) just wondering, did you get an email for an academic reference and if so how long before your interview offer? just got the email about the referee not sure if it’s automatic or means they’ve screened the app!

Reactions: Adrian_S

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Hi guys, I have been receiving DMs regarding a post I made in last year's VC forum, offering advice to those taking the Clyde & Co VI. I am a Future Trainee at the firm for some context. I thought it might be easier to leave my advice here for all to see.

Ok, firstly,

I would say prepare for the standard set of questions. Why Us? Why law? Why commercial law? News topic and how it relates to the firm, etc., make sure they are not generic. No “I’ve always wanted to be a lawyer”. Link something personal to yourself and give an example. In regards to the news story, make sure you know what Clyde is. It’s an insurance firm. If your story has nothing to do with that don’t use it. Talk about automated vehicles or drones. Maybe plane crashes or marine disasters etc.

You should know why Clyde stands out. I would say this is easy as Clyde is very unique. It’s an industry-focused firm with a heavy focus on contentious disputes and insurance, not transactional (although it has small transactional wings in marine finance and aviation finance). Clyde Lawyers are constantly headhunted by other firms for their skills in Dispute resolution and insurance liability etc.

I would avoid mentioning transactional topics like M&A or finance etc. go straight for disputes and insurance etc. also mention it’s a sector-focused firm and not practice-orientated. Maybe bring in their insane expansion (trebled in size in a decade etc), particularly in America! And maybe mention tech adoption with data labs, Clyde & code smart contracts etc/ parametric insurance.

Also, prepare a ton of stories for your competency questions, and do not use all law answers. Don’t give all your examples from law societies or your law degree etc. use stories from your hobbies, sports, music etc. be yourself! Be fun. They don’t want boring people! Half of being a lawyer is being personable as you’re trapped in rooms with clients day in and day out and they don’t want a socially awkward person who only knows the law and nothing else haha. And always link your answer back to the firm and how it would help/fit in!

Remember, smile, look at the camera, and use your hands! Talk up! Use a nice camera and get good lighting/mic. This is massively important. If you sound boring you have no shot. If your smiling and look genuinely excited and happy that will go very far! Trust me, I know this from the feedback I got from partners during my TC interview. If you get to that part, it’s even more important!

I also think it's good to know who Clyde's competitors are and how they challenge Clyde for their specific client focus. Again, Clyde is an insurance firm at the end of the day. Don't say firms compete with Clyde just because they are also massive, or are also global. Think of firms like your HFWs, Kennedy's etc who also focus heavily on insurance, and get specific. Do any other firms focus on insurance for aviation/marine etc?

Moreover, tailor your commercial awareness to their focus. Think of how different issues affect the commercial world in an insurance and risk-focused way.
    • An example - discuss the potential to use greener fuels in shipping trucks
    • Discuss the real-world issues of employment shortages due to covid
    • The Russian war blocking fuel supplies

I hope this helps guys! BTW the Clyde application is just a VI with some online tests mixed in. You will receive this VI a few days after you send in your APP so please research the firm before sending off this basic app (which only really includes your basic details) or you will be rushing in like 5 days to learn as much as you can about insurance which isn't the most relaxing time!

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Uvaia, Veep9, Khanyii_H and 4 others

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    congrats! very happy for you :) just wondering, did you get an email for an academic reference and if so how long before your interview offer? just got the email about the referee not sure if it’s automatic or means they’ve screened the app!

Yep, they basically told me they wouldn’t review the app until they received the letter from my Academic referee. Never had something like this happen before. If your academic referee gets your letter to them within the 5-8 days (they have 10 days to do so) you should be fine :)

Reactions: lawpersongirl123

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi guys,

One of the questions on Shearman's application form asks candidates why they are applying to a "City law firm" - is this generally interchangeable with "why commercial law" (so basically can be responded to with a normal "why commercial law" answer, but with references to "City law" rather than "commercial law"), or do you think it's more likely that Shearman are thinking along different lines (e.g. expecting candidates to talk about why they want to work for a firm that operates in the City, rather than a regional firm?

@Jessica Booker
    I would not treat this as being interchangeable with 'why commercial law' because a commercial firm may be more broadly focused in terms of clients, practices and deal sizes than a city firm. A good starting point here then could be researching what makes Shearman a city firm by looking at the criteria above.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I received a Clyde & Co VI invite last Thursday at 4 PM and have been given five days to complete it, does this mean that I need to complete my VI by Tuesday 4 PM or do I have the whole of Tuesday to complete it?
    It’s unlikely to turn off at the hour you received the email. It most likely going to turn off at 23.59 on Tuesday. Systems tend to work on full 24 hour days rather than by the individual hour.

WN20

Star Member
    Nov 30, 2021
    It will exactly at 4pm on that Tuesday. You have me exactly 5 days to complete it.
    It’s unlikely to turn off at the hour you received the email. It most likely going to turn off at 23.59 on Tuesday. Systems tend to work on full 24 hour days rather than by the individual hour.
    Thanks for your responses. @John Abram is this something Clyde’s GR have directly told you or has this just been what you’ve generally seen with VI’s. I’ve sent GR an email already for clarity and tried calling them but noone but picked up ://

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.