TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
Yes, you do need to fill out the work experience section! They said to include anything that demonstrates the skills you have, like voluntary experience and part time jobs etc. For the personal statement, it's less about repeating all of the work experience you have but rather tying that in with your motivations and how your experience makes you suited for a role at Freshfields if that makes sense
Is there a template Word document that we need to use for the personal statement? Or just a blank word document will do?

Rina

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 14, 2021
    Is there a template Word document that we need to use for the personal statement? Or just a blank word document will do?
    I saw a lot of old posts mention a template but this wasn't mentioned in the session yesterday and the online application does not request it. I simply pasted my statement into Word and uploaded it that way.

Reactions: average_jo123

annalaw

Standard Member
    Feb 16, 2022
    It was pretty basic imo, no info you couldn't find online. Here are some notes:
    - The application website asks for a CV but it's not actually reviewed, it's not part of the process
    - A Level grades are not considered but must be entered regardless
    - Personal statement structure should be Why Freshfields, Why commercial law? Why you? 850 words - highlight 2-3 things in your experiences and talk about why Freshfields can help you be the best lawyer you can be & what you can bring to the table at Freshfields
    - Firm tries to review applications within 3 weeks of the application deadline (non-rolling)
    - You have to meet the cut-off for the Watson Glaser to proceed to the next stage, there is a Free Watson Glaser on the website
    Where and how do we submit our a-level grades?

Rina

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 14, 2021
    Where and how do we submit our a-level grades?
    In the education section at the beginning. It's set up incredibly poorly - you can't actually select "A Levels", you basically have to select other, and then type in "A Levels: AAA" or whatever in the "grade" section. A Levels aren't even included in the drop-down box as an option, it's very confusing

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone, I have a written exercise to complete for White & Case. Does anybody please have any tips/advice since I have never completed a written exercise before?

Thanks so much!

These are my best tips for a written exercise-
    • Know what they're trying to test- firms are looking for you to be able to understand instructions and produce a piece of writing that meets/addresses these instructions.
    • Try not to preempt the topic and go into the exercise with the mindset that you may be asked about anything that you need to be prepared to come up with a few points to write on spontaneously
    • Read the task instructions very carefully so that you fully understand what you're being asked to write on
    • Know your audience- is this for a client or a teammate? The level of detail you go into and the tone you adopt should ideally be different in either case
    • Adopt a structure- this post here has a good template for structure but you really could use any template you like. The point of adopting a structure is to ensure that you've answered every issue/concern/instruction that the task set out and that your thoughts are presented logically.
    • Attention to detail- if you've been told to proofread as part of your task, ensure that you look over everything very carefully and point to any errors clearly in whatever document you've been asked to produce.
    All the best!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.