Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys - does anyone have experience in interviews where scenario based questions are asked? How do you prepare for these - do you make pre-made answers, etc?
I wouldn’t necessarily make pre made answers. You really have to listen to the detail of the individual scenario and make a judgement on how you would react based on that information. Preparing set answers means you may not tailor your answer to the specifics of the scenario.

Listen carefully to the scenario and think about what are the key ways in which that situation can be dealt with. Think about what the risks are in the situation, who the most important party is (usually the client), and what the best outcome is for everyone involved. Think about what is the realistic approach to solving the situation both in the short term and long term. Think about what can be done to maybe reduce that situation from happening again too.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Dechert rejection after AC :( disappointing that I had to follow up with them twice to get an outcome.

Firms really need to be better about communicating rejections- I had an all-nighter for this assessment centre because i had less than 2 days to prepare AND went to work for the rest of the day, so its upsetting to see them not appreciating the time and effort that the candidate puts in. The very least the candidate deserves a timely communication regarding outcome!

Angel13890

Star Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2021
I got the email about the academic reference for Jones Day, but now the issue is the professors are all on strike. So when the email was sent on Monday, there were 2 days of email backlog and they are striking again tomorrow. I hope this doesn’t impact my application because this is totally out of my control at this point.

Last edited:

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    I got the email about the academic reference for Jones Day, but now the issue is the professors are all on strike. So when the email was sent on Monday, there was 2 days of email backlog and they are striking again tomorrow. I hope this doesn’t impact my application because this is totally out of my control at this point.
    It may be worth emailing grad recruitment just to let them know about the strikes.

Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I got the email about the academic reference for Jones Day, but now the issue is the professors are all on strike. So when the email was sent on Monday, there was 2 days of email backlog and they are striking again tomorrow. I hope this doesn’t impact my application because this is totally out of my control at this point.
    Academic references are notoriously slow at the best of times, so I am sure this won’t be a problem. But you can let the firm know about the strikes and ask if there is any alternative information you can provide in the absence/delay of the references.

• 🤝
    Reactions: lik0401 and AvniD

N_16

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 11, 2022
    How long has it taken for people to receive Mayer Brown's tests? Sent my application 3 days ago and haven't received them.
    I got mine about 3 hours after I submitted the application form but since applications are rolling and the deadline is not for a while, I think it can vary hugely.

Speaking to another firm which does rolling applications last week, the Grad Rec lady said that though applications were open for Spring schemes, the team (especially if it is a smaller firm) will just be recovering from the Winter cycle so they will be checking Spring Vac Scheme applications less frequently until it gets to December (obviously depending on the deadline!) - so on this basis I don't think it is uncommon not to receive the tests soon after submitting the form.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi guys - does anyone have experience in interviews where scenario based questions are asked? How do you prepare for these - do you make pre-made answers, etc?
    I think the best way to prepare for scenario based questions is to try and understand the dynamics behind every deal, both within a law firm and with clients.

When I was prepping for TCs, I really came to appreciate the firms who would break down every single person's and office's role and involvement within a deal's lifecycle, right from the project managers to the partners and from the central office running the deal to an office that may have just been involved in a small part of it. I would highly encourage you to look for firms that publish their news in this way or read up news in The Lawyer if your uni/company has a subscription to it to gain this knowledge.

Once you have this understanding of how work gets done at a firm, you can then begin to approach scenario based questions by asking yourself- 1) what's best for your client 2) what's the best for your team/firm and proceed from there.

This is where law firms are essentially trying to test your judgment so walking them through your thought process and rationale for making a particular decision is crucial- ensure that you include this in your practice.

And lastly, practice delivering your answers as much as you can. I highly recommend going through the scenario based questions in TCLA's question bank and practicing keep in mind the 1) dynamics of working at a law firm 2) prioritising your client and 3) breaking down the thought process behind your decision.

• 🏆
    Reactions: divaination and Erin

RB2022

Valued Member
    Sep 28, 2022
    The status of my application on DLA Piper's portal has been updated ('withdraw' button still there) but it doesn't tell me the outcome. Should I wait until they contact me or just email them for the result, since I'd rather not wait just to be rejected but also don't want to come off as annoying? :)

*It was updated on the 17th of November

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    Does everyone get a Watson glazer test after submitting a DLA application? And how long does it take to receive it?

Also does everyone get invited to take Taylor wessings tests and how long does it take to receive?

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    Does everyone get a Watson glazer test after submitting a DLA application? And how long does it take to receive it?

Also does everyone get invited to take Taylor wessings tests and how long does it take to receive?
    For Taylor Wessing, there was a post on their Instagram story yesterday saying you only get invited to the games-based assessment if you pass application screening. Not sure how long it takes though - I'm still waiting, but I only applied on Saturday.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    The status of my application on DLA Piper's portal has been updated ('withdraw' button still there) but it doesn't tell me the outcome. Should I wait until they contact me or just email them for the result, since I'd rather not wait just to be rejected but also don't want to come off as annoying? :)

*It was updated on the 17th of November
    I'd first check your spam inbox to see if any communication landed up there and if not, then politely email to ask if your application is still being considered as you saw an update on your portal on 17 November but didn't receive any communication afterwards.

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    I’m submitting CMS today. I honestly feel like it’s too late. CMS was one of the few firms that I felt like I had a shot at getting into, and I just feel like I’ve left it till too late. All the spaces have been filled up. I hate the fact that I had my dissertation appendix looming over my head, whereas everyone else got far ahead with their applications.
    Has anyone received a video interview for CMS?

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Mishcon de Reya VI invite! 😁 Has anyone got any tips for this please? Not great with VIs..
    Congrats! I would prepare to cover:

• Why law?
    • Why Mishcon?
    • Examples of any Mishcon's expected competencies.
    • An explanation of a news story, why it interests you, and why it is applicable to Mishcon.
    I wouldn't over-rehearse these, but maybe come up with bullet points for each question that you feel you could easily expand on. Make sure you know how much time you'll have to read and answer the questions, and perhaps see if you can find previous experiences. For one of the VIs I did, I read that they had previously asked some people "how would your friends describe you?". I would have been stumped by this if I hadn't thought about this beforehand (although I realise this is a weird question to be asked and probably won't come up in your VI).

I have never done a Mishcon VI, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I have been successful in almost all of the VIs I have done and this is the approach that I took. Hopefully it is helpful for you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.