TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

lw2000

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2021
I applied for Stephenson Harwood's winter vacation scheme as my first choice but put down spring and summer as the other choices. As winter offers have already been given/its too late, does that mean I am automatically being considered for spring and summer?
I haven't received a rejection for winter
Winter offers have been given?

S1gm4Solicitor1

Nov 9, 2022
Dechert rejection after AC :( disappointing that I had to follow up with them twice to get an outcome.

Firms really need to be better about communicating rejections- I had an all-nighter for this assessment centre because i had less than 2 days to prepare AND went to work for the rest of the day, so its upsetting to see them not appreciating the time and effort that the candidate puts in. The very least the candidate deserves a timely communication regarding outcome!
Sorry to hear that. I completely agree, firms can say all they want about their culture and friendliness. But, when it comes down to it, the manner in which rejections are handled (can be in my experience) very poor and demoralising.

aniraz

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    is it too late to be submitting applications for firms with rolling deadlines that are coming up quite soon? like reed smith (12th) and skadden (15th)? has anyone who has applied to them already received any communication yet? thanks!
    I don't think it is too late! I think Skadden has been sending out telephone interviews but nothing further, and I haven't seen anything for Reed Smith. I would just prioritise getting them in as soon as possible, you still have a couple of weeks which will still set you apart from the 100s who apply on the last day.

Reactions: lik0401 and gw9

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    I would email grad rec sooner rather than later explain the situation, in these circumstances they will hopefully understand.

In terms of rolling basis - Jess Brooker made some really valid points earlier in the thread "The standard the firm will expect will not change whether you apply on the first or the last day of applications - it is not like your chances lessen as the application window progresses. Therefore, if you think you were a good applicant in September, you are still a good applicant now and should apply." I think this also applies to video interviews.

If you feel like you won't be able to put your best foot forward, I personally would request an extension so that no matter the outcome I know that I did my best. Whereas if I was unsuccessful after doing the VI ill I would be gutted as I would be thinking if only I hadn't lost my voice I may have passed the VI.

Hope you feel better soon and good luck with VI when you come to completing it.

If you cant talk and you have been unwell, you need to ask whether your interview can be deferred. They may say no, and then the decision is made for you.

But if they say yes, it is much better for you to defer and do it when you are better. I wouldn't worry about it being rolling - your priority is doing this when you are well enough.

Thank you both - I have emailed them, and will wait for a response.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    A work experience section asks for “details, and explanation of how you feel you have benefitted from this experience”. For how I have benefitted, should I talk about the skills I’ve developed? Hard to know what they’re looking for here.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    A work experience section asks for “details, and explanation of how you feel you have benefitted from this experience”. For how I have benefitted, should I talk about the skills I’ve developed? Hard to know what they’re looking for here.
    It could be highlighting any skills, knowledge or motivations gained from the experience that have helped you with your personal development/pursuing your career path.

Narince

Distinguished Member
    Nov 8, 2022
    still have not received anything from simmons & simmons for their WVS at this point I know it is a pFO but despite emailing them twice for an official reply they still haven't sent anything out. Anyone in a similar situation?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.