AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Freshfeilds direct TC AC! any advice is much appreciated :) <3
Congratulations @jennifer! This is massive 👏 👏 👏

Direct TC ACs can be a bit more intense that other ACs because it's likely the first time you're interacting with the firm, which may create some sort of pressure to make the best use of the 'one shot' you've got. This is totally normal if it happens to you and I guess my best tip is to remember that you will make mistakes here and there during your AC and that's fine and that the whole point is to show the firm that you can recover from them and move forward to the next point. It will help to prevent the pressure from getting to you.

Be prepared to be asked about your motivations to become a commercial lawyer in a slightly deeper manner than you would if you were applying for a vac scheme. I was asked about why I changed careers, why I wanted to work in the UK versus India (my home country), what made UK firms different from Indian firms for me etc.

Also ensure that your case study skills are up to the mark- you need to be able to identify the commercial issues and legal solutions very adeptly. Highly recommend doing a practice case study interview either with us here at TCLA or your uni (if they offer it) so that you can sharpen these skills.

Linking some posts below to help with your prep more generally. All the best!

• 🏆
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Erin, Jaysen, sxw517 and 2 others

gw9

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 28, 2022
For this question from Reed Smith's application: What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? How will they impact and why?

Might be obvious but just wanted to check, is it necessary to talk about more than one issue because of the way the question is worded?

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Has anyone's application for Slaughter and May's Summer Scheme been updated on the portal yet? I applied early in September but my application is still 'under consideration'. I also emailed Grad Rec a little while ago with an updated CV and they got back to me on Friday saying they would be in touch once my application has been reviewed. Just getting a little bit nervous as to why they haven't seen my app yet when they recruit on a rolling basis and interviews are meant to start in January 😅
I’m pretty sure their portal doesn’t update until they send you an email either rejecting you or inviting you to interview. Good luck!

Reactions: RB2022

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    Hi everyone!

Was wondering if someone could please advise re the Skadden VS applic?

Please give details of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application (250).
    Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work (250).

Regarding these two questions, how would one separate content? Many of my positions of responsibility and achievements have been tied to my interests and hobbies, so I'm unsure how to approach separating these and giving balanced answers.

Any advice is much appreciated - thanks!

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    For this question from Reed Smith's application: What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? How will they impact and why?

Might be obvious but just wanted to check, is it necessary to talk about more than one issue because of the way the question is worded?
    I spoke about two that are *very loosely* linked, but I think honestly do what you feel best! I would say don't talk about more than 3, as you need room to explain and answer the second part of the question.

Reactions: AvniD and gw9

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    How long does it take to receive your feedback report after completing HSF's test?
    I'm not too sure. When I completed mine I didn't receive any confirmation, so I was concerned that it hadn't been correctly submitted. All was ok though - I emailed grad recruitment to check and they confirmed & let me know that I passed pretty quickly.

Reactions: B A

RB2022

Valued Member
    Sep 28, 2022
    Do you get a feedback report if you passed the benchmark?
    I passed the benchmark last year when applying for the First Year Workshop, but didn’t get a feedback report. Unfortunately I did not pass the benchmark this year when applying to the vac scheme and I did get a report that time so maybe it’s only if you don’t meet the benchmark 😔

*Edit - the feedback report only tells you about your working style and how strong you are in different areas such as leadership; there’s no feedback for the verbal reasoning section (which I think is where I fell down).

Last edited:
    Reactions: stone’sthrow
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.