TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arf1309

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2022
For Clyde & Co, I was wondering if you get the online assessment invite after the deadline. I applied for the spring vac scheme and I haven't got a further email for the assessment..
They don't wait until after the deadline as I got the online assessment invite around 5 days after sending my application :)

Reactions: law23

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi, I am currently applying to Watson Farley Williams and I am struggling with this question.
“ You are a trainee solicitor, working in the office and it is 6.30pm. You have an important personal appointment at 7pm. You are updating a document ready for a client meeting which will take place at 10am the next day. As this is a new client it is important that the firm impresses them and accuracy is key. You are waiting on some information from a third party before you can finalise the document. You have also received several emails from other fee-earners in the department asking you to help them on some urgent tasks. Your supervisor is working from home. What do you do?”
Do they want to understand my ability to prioritise and organise my own schedule?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I am currently applying to Watson Farley Williams and I am struggling with this question.
“ You are a trainee solicitor, working in the office and it is 6.30pm. You have an important personal appointment at 7pm. You are updating a document ready for a client meeting which will take place at 10am the next day. As this is a new client it is important that the firm impresses them and accuracy is key. You are waiting on some information from a third party before you can finalise the document. You have also received several emails from other fee-earners in the department asking you to help them on some urgent tasks. Your supervisor is working from home. What do you do?”
Do they want to understand my ability to prioritise and organise my own schedule?
They will also want to see your decision-making and what steps you would take/what options you would choose beyond prioritising and organising your own schedule.

• ℹ️
Reactions: S87

Elsa3.1415

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2021
Just received a PFO from Simmons for their Winter Scheme, better late than never 😂

Does the sentence "I understand that this may be disappointing, however, I would like to thank you for your interest in the firm and would encourage you to apply again when applications open in October 2023." mean anything or is it just the standard wording?

milliejeyes

Star Member
Mar 3, 2022
Hiya! I did it a few weeks a go :) I would say it is quite an intense VI as it is seven questions long. The nice thing about it is that you can press record yourself so you don't have that really daunting timer that you usually get in other VIs. One thing to watch out for is that it is designed to be done on your smartphone so I would definitely practice talking and taking videos on your phone if you can! In terms of questions I would definitely make sure that you have a good knowledge on the firm and the reasons why you have chosen the firm. Apart from that all the other questions are situational judgement ones so hard to prepare for. My best piece of advice would be to get used to speaking in front of a camera! Good luck!!
Thank you so much for this!

sdsou

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2021
Hello, is it still worth applying to DLA Piper's Summer internship in the London office since their deadline is 30 December and they review applications on a rolling basis? I ask this because they hosted an Open Day on 14 December which really changed my mind about the firm and made me want to apply! Might I have a better shot if I apply to an office that's smaller, maybe Sheffield or Leeds rather than London?

Thank you for any responses!

trainee25_

Nov 19, 2022
Absolutely ok to talk about that deal but the fact that it is 2 years old makes me wonder if it may be better to search for other deals that happened within the lat 6-12 months that cover the same reasons why this deal stood out to you? If you're not able to find any other deals that resonate, then it should be fine to use the 2-year old deal as you don't want to compromise on the quality of your answer that's conveying your motivations to going the firm!
Thank you! Really helpful answer :))

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD and cyberjaz1116

justhangingout

Distinguished Member
Oct 19, 2021
Hello, is it still worth applying to DLA Piper's Summer internship in the London office since their deadline is 30 December and they review applications on a rolling basis? I ask this because they hosted an Open Day on 14 December which really changed my mind about the firm and made me want to apply! Might I have a better shot if I apply to an office that's smaller, maybe Sheffield or Leeds rather than London?

Definitely worth applying - they won't have hosted an open day if they didn't want participants to apply! I applied for the London office at the end of October and haven't heard anything so I don't think they've filled up AC slots...

Uvaia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2022

I think you should apply. I applied recently and fyi they told me it takes them 10 days to send the WG test.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.