Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker Honestly, I too was expecting to experience the complete opposite, however, considering how much time and effort it takes to even get onto one of these schemes, especially when you are older and work around studies, it's only fair to actually acknowledge these issues. I too hadn't read anything about this happening and I felt unprepared and was completely shocked when I was there and I had no one to speak to about it. I still feel that I can't talk to anyone. If you say it's a one-off, I'll trust you, but it's really put me off commercial law. I legit feel traumatised and it's still affecting me even though it's been almost two months since now.
I understand the impact it had, but I would encourage you to leave your feelings in regards to it with the people who asked your age (I wasn't sure if this was graduate recruitment, lawyers or fellow vacation scheme students) rather than feeling it's going to be like that across the whole profession.

Whoever it was, it wasn't a great idea to ask these types of questions as it was ultimately none of their business. If it was HR/Graduate Recruitment, then they should really know better and not even ask, while if it was other vacation scheme students, then there may not have been any ill-intent with it just a weird curiosity and lack of maturity/professionalism.

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
For those living outside of London, how did you manage renting short-stay accommodations or commuting to London for the duration of your Vacation Scheme?

I suspect some firms would reimburse costs for travel expenses, however, what if travelling seems much of a challenge? Especially if it takes you 2 hours to commute with a train, extra added say 20-30mins with the tubes, then a 5-10min walk to the office.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. @Jessica Booker Please feel free to answer also.

hins01

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 4, 2022
Congrats on getting the VI!! May I ask when you applied? And was this for spring or summer?
Amazing! Well done! When did you apply if you don’t mind me asking? I applied 1/1 and nothing yet. As there’s been a round of VI invites today I’m assuming PFO though
Hi, I applied on 1/1, and this is for summer. I think I am the third batch of VI invites (as seen from previous comments of the forum). But they have extended the application deadline, so I am not sure if there will be another round of VI. Hope it helps!

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
For those living outside of London, how did you manage renting short-stay accommodations or commuting to London for the duration of your Vacation Scheme?

I suspect some firms would reimburse costs for travel expenses, however, what if travelling seems much of a challenge? Especially if it takes you 2 hours to commute with a train, extra added say 20-30mins with the tubes, then a 5-10min walk to the office.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. @Jessica Booker Please feel free to answer also.
I stayed at LSE accommodation for my vac last year and it was only a short bus trip to the office so it worked perfect. Did it through Booking.com too and got a discount. As for travel, a few of the people on the scheme did travel <1 hour to the office and they seemed okay, but from what you described it may be tough so probs try get some accommodation

Reactions: Seven

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If an interview if CV-blind, can I use the same 'why this firm' points as I used in my application? @Jessica Booker
You could even if it is a non-CV blind process - it is just more that you’ll probably need a bit more detail/thoroughness to your in person answers compared to your application.

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
You could even if it is a non-CV blind process - it is just more that you’ll probably need a bit more detail/thoroughness to your in person answers compared to your application.
I would echo this! I had an ac this Tuesday and everything I mentioned was written in my cv and I was successful. As Jessica said, you’ll just have to elaborate and give context to experiences in the interview.

Last edited:

Arran

Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    Isn’t this question usually optional to answer?
    I don't think it is always asked explicitly, though it was mandatory on at least a few forms when I wrote my applications.
    Do you have any tips for Scottish LLB students who are looking to apply to mainly London based corporate law firms
    I think the main thing is just to make sure you are confident and sure about why you want to pursue a career in London as opposed to a career somewhere in Scotland. Also, make sure you understand what the firms you are interested in ask of people with an LLB in Scots Law (some may ask you to at least partially complete the PGDL before going on to do the SQE). Other than this I don't think there is much difference. If there was anything in particular you wanted to know feel free to DM me and I can try to help.

Last edited:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For this application question - Reflecting on a recent legal news item that has had an effect on you, share why you believe it affected you and why it stands out from other news stories

Does it have to be a legal story such as someone being sued and not a business story.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Based on Latham's VI invites last year, I think that today's batch might be the last one. Assuming that enough people pass the VI, it's likely that the next time we hear from them is a mass PFO in early Feb 🥱.

Somebody mentioned this could be different because they extended the deadline, but I'm not holding my breath.
    we move solider

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.