TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

157gg

Oct 5, 2022
Hi, I recently completed my first VI and realised I basically did not look at the camera for most of it. I think my answers were pretty solid tho. Anyone know important it is to look at the camera? Trying to be hopeful lol @Jessica Booker any advice would be appreciated

LawStudent0101

Dec 9, 2022
Is there anyone still waiting for CMS post-WG? By this time last year I had already finished the AC & I had submitted my app a day later than this year. Even a PFO would be understandable but radio silence seems so odd this late in the season.
Im still waiting to hear back post VI which I think I did on the 23rd December which says it's been reviewed aswell. Issue is I've seen so many AC, offers and PFO for them already so I don't really know what to think. But like you say, id rather just receive a pfo if that's what they've decided

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
Jan 15, 2023
I think they’d be disappointed if you only bagged a suite, ain’t no PE partner taking you seriously if you ain’t going for the presidential suite, didn’t you see that a ex Kirkland Partner bought a £31 million house?

*gets to interview stage and all goes well until…*
”So, tell us why you want to work for K&E?”
*😰 £31m, £31m, £31m, £31m 😰😰😰*
”Er, um, well, when comparing to other firms, there’s probably 31 million reasons why I prefer you. Not least the high-profile client portfolio consisting 31 million clients and that recent deal with X for the £31m acquisition of Y. I also really value that, by the time I turn 31, I might have achieved that million to one opportunity to become a partner….”
“Can you explain your peculiar obsession with £31 million?”
“🤨 I beg your pardon?”
“£31 million. You keep mentioning it?”
“You must be mistaken. Dirty thumb not 31. And mignon, not million. I had filet mignon for lunch and noticed I must have got it on my thumb. Simple misunderstanding. 😌”

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When asking for format adjustments for an AC (eg. font sizes of documents), at what point should I poke grad rec for a reminder? AC in question isn't for a week, but I asked for adjustments a couple of weeks ago and I haven't yet heard back.
I’d call them three working days before the AC to confirm the adjustments can be made.

toribabylawyer

Star Member
  • Sep 5, 2022
    Has anyone gotten a Weil response post V-I that wasn’t positive?
    Because the only few people I’ve seen talk about Weil post VI have gotten AC’s and since I haven’t heard anything yet I’m getting worried :(
    Hi, I did my VI about 3 weeks ago but also still waiting. I'm worried too. Unsure if its just because they're super busy right now or it is just a bad sign

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    PWC AC soon , any last minute tips will be appreciated 😊
    It's imperative to dress and act well (by well I mean clean, ironed clothes, brush your shoes if you can, standing straight, looking in the eyes when interviewing, handshake, smiling, kindness to support staff and GR). Other than that, enjoy your time and see it as an opportunity for you to meet the firm and more of its employees! After all the interview goes both ways and it's always good to meet your potential future VS cohort and maybe even colleagues. You'll do great :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: starman

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi all, has anyone completed the Willkie written assessment on TopScore? Do our cameras need to be turned on/ will they automatically be turned on?
    Hi @AB - no cameras are on during the exercise as it is a written exercise. We only receive your written results and no recordings etc. If you're worried about anything to do with a written/ac/interview, whether with us or any other firm, I would always urge you to contact the graduate recruitment team who will give you the correct answer and hopefully put your mind at rest. Thanks, Gemma.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Why have you decided to pursue a career as a commercial lawyer working in an international law firm? What factors and influences have affected your decision?

Is this asking me what it is about a role in this area that has led to me deciding to pursue a career in commercial law? (international aspect etc)

Or, is it more about the experiences I have had that have led to me deciding to carve out a career in this area?

Factors make it seem like the first of my options, where as influences make it seem like the second, and I don't want to get it twisted!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Why have you decided to pursue a career as a commercial lawyer working in an international law firm? What factors and influences have affected your decision?

Is this asking me what it is about a role in this area that has led to me deciding to pursue a career in commercial law? (international aspect etc)

Or, is it more about the experiences I have had that have led to me deciding to carve out a career in this area?

Factors make it seem like the first of my options, where as influences make it seem like the second, and I don't want to get it twisted!
    It doesn't need to be a role nor directly related to commercial law - it can be any element that has pushed you towards the career.

• Love
    Reactions: sxw517
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.