TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arf1309

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2022
I have an AC coming up soon with Burges Salmon soon. Does anyone have any insight into what the group task/written task entail? This is my first ever AC and I'm not sure what the best way to prepare for these are!!

Reactions: Luke1228

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’ve heard that links only accepts direct TC applications if the applicant had a vacation scheme or full time paralegal experiences at other firms. Does that hold true for all firms?
It has been referenced in the past in the forums that their stance is that you need four weeks of legal work experience to be in strong contention to be shortlisted for a TC. Don’t know the truth of this though.

Reactions: ssolicitorz

Denver

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 20, 2020
It has been referenced in the past in the forums that their stance is that you need four weeks of legal work experience to be in strong contention to be shortlisted for a TC. Don’t know the truth of this though.
Thanks Jessica, I was told by their grad recruitment in September at a virtual law fair. Do you know if that is true for all other firms i.e if that’s the standard?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica, I was told by their grad recruitment in September at a virtual law fair. Do you know if that is true for all other firms i.e if that’s the standard?
No - no other firms have this rule, it’s just Linklaters. Thanks for confirming that’s what the firm told you directly.

Rina

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 14, 2021
    It’s just a Linklaters thing (it might not even be accurate, just been referenced a few times in the forums).
    I've been told on more than one of their online events that they do require four weeks of assessed legal work experience (i.e. you can't do a bunch of virtual internships and count that).

WannaLaw99

• Jan 8, 2023
    Hi everybody!

I wanted some advice on applications generally. If you're struggling to answer a firm's application questions, could that mean you're not a good fit for them after all?
    I hope that doesn't sound silly, but I want to be strategic about my applications, as they all take ages to complete :(

On a lighter note - can someone please explain all the abbreviations (PFO, CMS , AC etc.) to me? Or link me to a TCLA dictionary? This newbie is lost 😂😂

Thanks a bunch!

CallumJR

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2020
    Hi everybody!

I wanted some advice on applications generally. If you're struggling to answer a firm's application questions, could that mean you're not a good fit for them after all?
    I hope that doesn't sound silly, but I want to be strategic about my applications, as they all take ages to complete :(

On a lighter note - can someone please explain all the abbreviations (PFO, CMS , AC etc.) to me? Or link me to a TCLA dictionary? This newbie is lost 😂😂

Thanks a bunch!
    PFO = rejection
    CMS = Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang (law firm)
    AC = Assessment centre / usually that last step of the recruitment process before an offer for a vacation scheme or training contract. An AC includes various exercises and interviews

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.