TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAA

Star Member
Feb 1, 2021
Hi all,

I have a question in regards to the Simmons&Simmons Bristol summer vac scheme. Apps opened 1 oct and close 15 feb. They recruit on a rolling basis and their website said they may fill spaces up before the deadline, especially if u apply close to the deadline.

Is it advisable to still apply? I have emailed their recruitment team but I am doubtful that they will reply given the busy period right now.

If anybody has applied to the Simmons&Simmons Bristol summer vac scheme and is able to help with this, please respond to this!

Thanks in advance!!

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Oh yikes. Akin WG came through last night at gone 6:30, to be completed by midnight tomorrow.
Only trouble is I was so convinced I’d never get past application stage, I’ve never practised 🤦‍♀️
Please help 🤣🍷

Amazing and congratulations! Here are some free resources that I'd recommend (other people on here have also posted resources on here):

1. A careers oxford page which discusses the test
2. Clifford Chance's WG Practice Test
3. More practice at the lawyer portal

TCLA also has a great resource by Joe Mallet on WG prep - I've known many people who've said this is useful to them. Best of luck

• 🤝
Reactions: Tattyasha and Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Five months since I submitted my Shearman app and I've had no response. I have to be honest, it's really poor.
One element to take into consideration is that they don't do rolling recruitment, so they will have only been reviewing applications in the last three weeks.

Stasis

Distinguished Member
Mar 14, 2022
One element to take into consideration is that they don't do rolling recruitment, so they will have only been reviewing applications in the last three weeks.
Absolutely fair enough, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense, and save them a lot more time, if they reviewed applications progressively whilst making sure that they are all in fact reviewed so as to not disadvantage anyone?

TheBestSolicitorInTheWorld

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2022
I have progressed plenty of people who have
Five months since I submitted my Shearman app and I've had no response. I have to be honest, it's really poor.
They review applications after the deadline and that deadline was 15/01/2023, not even 3 weeks ago. You just have to wait and be patient. Even if they responded to you immediately when you applied, you wouldn’t have been doing interviews/ ACs until this time anyways. Plus it’s a popular firm so it likely gets tons of candidates. Lastly, no news is not always bad news, if anything I’d use the quiet time to distract myself with something fun like a society x

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2022
Absolutely fair enough, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense, and save them a lot more time, if they reviewed applications progressively whilst making sure that they are all in fact reviewed so as to not disadvantage anyone?
No because they may end up saying yes to the first 30 applications they see from October- November but then miss out on people with amazing applications who submit in December- Deadline

EH96

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hi,

Has anyone done the Osborne Clarke phase one AC and has got any tips, or know how many people you present to etc.? I've never done something like this before.

Thanks!

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2022
True, but they could at least process the rejections, of which there will be hundreds.
That’s true but like you said there’s hundreds, it’s easier to do it in one go.

I did a first year scheme with Shearman and recruitment said that they reject 80% of applications due to bad grammar and spelling. I assume they probably have a computer software for that. So as long as you have good answers and made sure your spelling and grammar was perfect, I wouldn’t stress personally.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
First time posting here but becoming increasingly demoralised about securing even an AC this cycle, let alone a VS.

I must have done about 15 applications and many firms I'm yet to hear back from, even after applying months ago. Practical radio silence from DLA Piper, Hogan Lovells, Ashurst, White & Case, while others are getting ACs or even VS from them, which makes me wonder what the point is. Awaiting PFOs from them but it's the fact I've heard nothing which really hurts.

Had 3 VIs with Bakers, Watson Farley and Dentons, but bombed them all and yet to hear back, while I can never seem to pass assessments that aren't Watson Glasers (like Taylor Wessing's Games Based Assessments). The cumulative hours and effort I have spent this cycle is unparalleled but all I've mainly been hit with is failed VIs and radio silence.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think their argument could be the opposite - that by reviewing everyone at the same time, those who applied earlier are not at an advantage.

By opening early and providing a long application window, it gives people the option to apply earlier so people can choose not to put themselves under significant pressure around deadline days when many other firm's deadlines are also looming.

It takes the same amount of time to review an application no matter what time it comes in, but some firms can easily carve out a block of time to do it on mass in a short period of time, rather than spreading that same amount of time across many weeks/months. However, other firms choose this approach because it works better for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.