TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daisy_yawn

I don't know why people are finding this hard to get their head around? Maybe I should have clarified "overrepresentation in relation to their population" which is clearly what I meant. I also meant it in regard to intakes. But there is a higher intake of females and asian graduates. I also believe in the profession as a whole Asians are represented at a degree higher than their percentage of the population.
I saw a grand total of two Asian women on my vac scheme (both trainees) but maybe it's just that firm :')

Stasis

Distinguished Member
Mar 14, 2022
Well was it peer reviewed? Just because you wrote a paper on it doesn't make it true. I can't think of any firm where there is a statistically significant overrepresentation of women or minorities at trainee level - would love if you name dropped some :)
At trainee level? Yep women outnumber men in many large firms; drops off a cliff at partner though.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
I think discussing diversity on a forum, where it's hard to discern the meaning behind what someone is saying is a road to nowhere tbf... Should probably stick to applications and discussions surrounding apps
Yes, I regret that this escalated - I was just pointing out that the phrase "pale, male and stale" probably shouldn't be used and isn't necessarily that true.

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
I did not say that, I said it because I have done lots of research on the topic. Simply use legalcheek to look at the % of female associates.
It's because there are more female law graduates? There are a lot of female associates because there are more female law graduates - that's not disportionate, that's the exact opposite, it's proportionate. Wasn't able to find any statistics showing an overrepresentation of other minorities either.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
It's because there are more female law graduates? There are a lot of female associates because there are more female law graduates - that's not disportionate, that's the exact opposite, it's proportionate. Wasn't able to find any statistics showing an overrepresentation of other minorities either.
Correct, it may well be the fact that there are more female law grads, along with a multitude of other complex factors. It was simply a comment in regards to the profession and representation of the UK's population.

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
yes there is, I wrote a paper on it last year. It is partnership level where there is less representation and a huge part of this is issues with retention.
Common CorpSmith W. You only need to do a LinkedIn search and attend open days and you can see for yourself.
White boys are the minority there.

Stasis

Distinguished Member
Mar 14, 2022
But is it an overrepresentation? That's the operative word here - I know women outnumber men but there are more female law graduates so if anything it's representative not overrepresentative.
In terms of the general population? Yes.
Sorry I thought we were talking about the general population - that seemed like the comparator the other poster was going for.

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
I am reposting this again. Please any insights.
What does it mean when a GR member views your linkedin profile after an AC ? Is it common for every candidature review or is it a good sign ?
Thanks.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
But is it an overrepresentation? That's the operative word here - I know women outnumber men but there are more female law graduates so if anything it's representative not overrepresentative.
perhaps I should have specified this is what I meant in my original comment. I simply mean overrepresentation compared to the general population. I think if you start getting into this then you would have to control for an innumerable number of factors that would be impossibly hard to calculate. i.e grades, university attended etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.