TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker . If the work experience section of an application form does not set a word limit for each entry, how long should I keep my answers? I was going to use my work experience entries from another application which were 150 words each, but not sure if I should expand my answers given there is no word limit.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker . If the work experience section of an application form does not set a word limit for each entry, how long should I keep my answers? I was going to use my work experience entries from another application which were 150 words each, but not sure if I should expand my answers given there is no word limit.
    Firstly, I would think about it across entries rather than just singular ones. If you have a lot of different experiences, then you’ll want to keep the entries generally shorter as collectively there will be much more to read through. If you have fewer experiences, you might want a little more detail. Basically you want to get the balance between providing enough relevant detail to sell your experiences without it becoming too long to read your work experience in total.

It also depends on the experience itself though. A couple of days work shadowing may only need 60-80 words, while a paralegal role that you have done for a year where you have had varied responsibilities might need more like 250-300 words.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Firstly, I would think about it across entries rather than just singular ones. If you have a lot of different experiences, then you’ll want to keep the entries generally shorter as collectively there will be much more to read through. If you have fewer experiences, you might want a little more detail. Basically you want to get the balance between providing enough relevant detail to sell your experiences without it becoming too long to read your work experience in total.

It also depends on the experience itself though. A couple of days work shadowing may only need 60-80 words, while a paralegal role that you have done for a year where you have had varied responsibilities might need more like 250-300 words.

Thanks, @Jessica Booker. So in this case where I have quite a few experiences to note, I shouldn't worry about having different length of entries for each (provided I don't go to either extreme)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks, @Jessica Booker. So in this case where I have quite a few experiences to note, I shouldn't worry about having different length of entries for each (provided I don't go to either extreme)?
    Then you’ll want to make sure your entries are more concise as there will be more to read through. Any substantial experiences can go into more detail/utilise more word count though.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Then you’ll want to make sure your entries are more concise as there will be more to read through. Any substantial experiences can go into more detail/utilise more word count though.
    Thanks @Jessica Booker - that's noted! Sorry, final question on this - would you recommend the same approach with applications that have a 250 word limit for the work experience section i.e. should I use the full word count for all of my experiences, bearing in mind that I have 8-9 experience to add?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks @Jessica Booker - that's noted! Sorry, final question on this - would you recommend the same approach with applications that have a 250 word limit for the work experience section i.e. should I use the full word count for all of my experiences, bearing in mind that I have 8-9 experience to add?
    It depends on the experiences. Are they all substantial work experiences with varied responsibilities and/or over a long period of time?

It’s likely that a one may need the full word count, others might not.

Try to think about your experiences as a whole and also how they fit into the application as a whole. Do you really want your reader to skim read 2000-2500 words and then the rest of your application, or do you want them to read most of what you write?

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    If a firm has 31 TCs and recruits 50% of trainees through direct TC, 50% from vac scheme and there’re 55 vac schemers, does that mean that the conversion rate from VS to TC is (25%)? I’m wondering about Macfarlanes specifically.

@Jessica Booker any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
    @Jessica Booker Can you give your thoughts on this if you don't mind ? Knowing that they recruit 33 for the TC I guess, not 31, and there are 3 schemes.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    It depends on the experiences. Are they all substantial work experiences with varied responsibilities and/or over a long period of time?

It’s likely that a one may need the full word count, others might not.

Try to think about your experiences as a whole and also how they fit into the application as a whole. Do you really want your reader to skim read 2000-2500 words and then the rest of your application, or do you want them to read most of what you write?

Thank you @Jessica Booker - that makes sense. I won't try to lengthen my answers to 250 words for the less substantial experiences that I don't have that much to say about.

refy

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 19, 2021
    If a firm has 31 TCs and recruits 50% of trainees through direct TC, 50% from vac scheme and there’re 55 vac schemers, does that mean that the conversion rate from VS to TC is (25%)? I’m wondering about Macfarlanes specifically.

@Jessica Booker any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Yes, I'd say you're right on average - of course it would fluctuate based on ability on the vac scheme though, might be the case that more people perform well on the vac scheme one year, and not many on another.

UnTCSilVousPlait

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.