TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaine

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2023
Hi! If anyone has done the AC for Freshfields previously - how would you recommend preparing for the article interview?

I have not done any case study or article interview before, so would you recommend doing specific M&A, Private Equity, or any other area of law prep? (not sure about this as it's an article interview and not a case study). Also, for broader commercial concepts (apart from news), is there any source I can refer to?

Would be super grateful for any help. Thanks! 😄
Not an AC but I did a workshop with them and they expected you to pull as many different practice areas/ business concepts out of the article as possible. It was about 3 pages long and they were concerned with your attention to detail and knowledge on the specific markets mentioned in the article. I would think it's a bit hard to prepare for other than keeping up with the news.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Can you give your thoughts on this if you don't mind ? Knowing that they recruit 33 for the TC I guess, not 31, and there are 3 schemes.
If a firm has 31 TCs and recruits 50% of trainees through direct TC, 50% from vac scheme and there’re 55 vac schemers, does that mean that the conversion rate from VS to TC is (25%)? I’m wondering about Macfarlanes specifically.

@Jessica Booker any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
That would suggest 27-29% (depending on TC numbers) of vac schemers start a training contract with the firm. It doesn’t account for those who were offered and declined the offer for another training contracts though. That could easily be another 15+ vac schemers.

Reactions: di

iratencies

Star Member
Jan 30, 2022
Does anybody know how they would answer this question? "What would your response be to finding out that your team has to stay late due to a sudden demand from an important client?" I am not exactly sure how I would deal in this scenario.

Emilia

Esteemed Member
Feb 19, 2023
I still haven’t heard back post application from Boodle Hatfield for their vacation scheme but an hour ago one of the partners in the firm viewed my LinkedIn profile. I’m hoping this is a good sign but does anyone know if this is normal for firms to look at your LinkedIn on top of your application form?

@Jessica Booker or anybody who has any insight - during an AC, how should we structure our answer to ‘why you?’

I had thought highlighting three key skills, each with an example in the STAR format, would work well. In practice, I’ve found that this seems to take too long, but any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.