TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAA

Star Member
Feb 1, 2021
Hi all, does anyone know how to approach a written case study exercise in an assessment center, in which we are asked to advise on a commercial issue in a memo or email format? I'm especially confused on how to approach the language (whether it's addressed to a lawyer or non-lawyer) and the structure of a memo (particularly) and email. @Jessica Booker can you please advise if possible? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, does anyone know how to approach a written case study exercise in an assessment center, in which we are asked to advise on a commercial issue in a memo or email format? I'm especially confused on how to approach the language (whether it's addressed to a lawyer or non-lawyer) and the structure of a memo (particularly) and email. @Jessica Booker can you please advise if possible? Thank you!
Language (and content) needs to be appropriate to the audience. Think about what your reader would already know/what they would care about.

In terms of structure, I’d usually suggest some form of executive summary to start with and concluding with any actions that need to be undertaken at the end. Depending on the length of the exercise, structuring the body of your writing with headlines and/or numerical bullet points could be helpful to create a structure.

SAA

Star Member
Feb 1, 2021
Language (and content) needs to be appropriate to the audience. Think about what your reader would already know/what they would care about.

In terms of structure, I’d usually suggest some form of executive summary to start with and concluding with any actions that need to be undertaken at the end. Depending on the length of the exercise, structuring the body of your writing with headlines and/or numerical bullet points could be helpful to create a structure.
Thank you Jessica. In terms of the language, I am assuming that in an exercise where I am emailing/writing to a head of a non-legal function, I should not use legal jargon and should keep the language basic (but still professional).

When it comes to exercises that ask us to choose between recommending options, is the below structure good enough?:

Dear X,

[Intro] (It would say something along the lines of 'I hope this email finds you well, following from our conversation earlier, please find attached below my assessment of Options One (which is x) and Two (which is x) and my recommendation on the best course of action.

Executive Summary:
. Option One + advantages and disadvantages
. Option Two + advantages and disadvantages
. Concluding Recommendation.

1. Option One: (What the option is)
Advantages:
· X

Disadvantages:
· X

2. Option Two (option I am recommending): (What the option is)
Advantages
. X

Disadvantages
. X (however I will mention how these disadvantages can be mitigated by offering a solution, or mentioning how the firm can possibly assist with these disadvantages - if applicable)

Concluding advice: [key recommendation to head of x is x, because of x]

Yours sincerely,

Name

In addition, Is there any resource on TCLA that you can please redirect me to that addresses written exercises, especially memo/email formats?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica. In terms of the language, I am assuming that in an exercise where I am emailing/writing to a head of a non-legal function, I should not use legal jargon and should keep the language basic (but still professional).

When it comes to exercises that ask us to choose between recommending options, is the below structure good enough?:

Dear X,

[Intro] (It would say something along the lines of 'I hope this email finds you well, following from our conversation earlier, please find attached below my assessment of Options One (which is x) and Two (which is x) and my recommendation on the best course of action.

Executive Summary:
. Option One + advantages and disadvantages
. Option Two + advantages and disadvantages
. Concluding Recommendation.

1. Option One: (What the option is)
Advantages:
· X

Disadvantages:
· X

2. Option Two (option I am recommending): (What the option is)
Advantages
. X

Disadvantages
. X (however I will mention how these disadvantages can be mitigated by offering a solution, or mentioning how the firm can possibly assist with these disadvantages - if applicable)

Concluding advice: [key recommendation to head of x is x, because of x]

Yours sincerely,

Name

In addition, Is there any resource on TCLA that you can please redirect me to that addresses written exercises, especially memo/email formats?
I wouldn’t overthink this too much. Most of how you would write something is common sense. What you have listed above would be suitable (assuming the instructions are aligned to this particular format).

There are a couple of free mock written case studies here:

Reactions: SAA

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey I wondered if anyone had any tips/info regarding how to find london accommodation for vacation schemes. I unfortunately do not have any family/friends that live there during the period so wondered what others do to live in london without paying a fortune for a hotel for the duration. Thank you.
I have mentioned the following in earlier posts:

You may also want to look at the train/tube lines that come into near the office (such as Thameslink/Metropolitan line/Elizabeth Line) but that take you outside of London quickly. You’ll find cheaper accommodation but can often find quick ways to get into London. Just always worthwhile checking the peak day return train fare and adding that to your weekly spend to see if it is worthwhile.

Some of the private student halls tend to do reasonable deals for short term summer let’s - like this one: https://prestigestudentliving.com/s...don/charles-morton-court/premier-ensuite-plus

Reactions: JessicaIsabelle
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.