TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

foyles22

Apr 22, 2023
Hey all, long time lurker here. I am just looking for advice. I was luckily enough to score 2 vac schemes this year, and I really enjoyed them but I failed in converting both of them to TC offers. I took the feedback from the first one and used it in the second one, but I guess this didn't work. They do have particularly low offer rates but honestly it's really affected my self confidence and I don't think I could bear getting onto another one and still not getting a TC. I really don't know what to do :(

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Hey all, long time lurker here. I am just looking for advice. I was luckily enough to score 2 vac schemes this year, and I really enjoyed them but I failed in converting both of them to TC offers. I took the feedback from the first one and used it in the second one, but I guess this didn't work. They do have particularly low offer rates but honestly it's really affected my self confidence and I don't think I could bear getting onto another one and still not getting a TC. I really don't know what to do :(
Hey there, this happened in my first application cycle too. I used quite a lot of time during the summer to process the rejections (Honestly it's so hard). But what I can say is really take your time and do not be so hard on yourself. You have done so well in securing two vacation schemes, and you should know that these experiences will significantly boost your chances in the next cycle (If used properly haha). I know it's a cliche but really searching for a TC can be a marathon. Keep running until you reach your goal!

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Does anyone know if there is a database/similar of insights from vacation schemes for different firms?
    The way I approached this is by contacting future trainees on Linkedin. Some may respond/message back with general insights.
    I personally found it better to request for a call and you can ask more questions. :)
    Just so that you are aware future trainees/trainees have probably signed NDAs so they will be careful in not revealing much information about the assessments.

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    I'm sorry you are losing self-confidence. Take some time to bounce back from the rejections. Securing vacation schemes is an achievement in itself so you are probably very near to the finish line. Don't lose hope. We all believe in you :) Remember the iceberg illusion! you got this! :)

1682161459478.png

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey Asil - only if it makes sense in the application.

For example, it might make sense to include this in your justification for applying to a firm if you are discussing a particular practice area and it reflects how much the firm is growing that practice area.

Alternatively, it might be relevant for a commercial question.

That said, there's no need to try to show commercial awareness in this way unless the firm has asked a relevant question. Often this can come across as forced/being mentioned for the sake of it.
    Thank you very much for this Jaysen.

Yes I agree with your final sentence.

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    @SOAS22 @CallumJR Hi - just saw your posts about CRS.

I haven't heard anything - you guys both applied for London Direct TC?

@CallumJR - You mentioned the AC date - I received a general email saying this date too, but a while back. Did they get back and invite you to AC?

Thank you both - and anyone else who has any info!

Samir_O

Legendary Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    Hey everyone, my Watson Glaser link for my direct tc baker McKenzie app isn’t working - i tried to sit the test yesterday but it said session expired. It’s due today and I haven’t heard anything back from grad rec.

[email protected]

is this the right email to contact them ? I’m getting worried

adafdadfadfafdaf

Distinguished Member
    Feb 22, 2023
    @SOAS22 @CallumJR Hi - just saw your posts about CRS.

I haven't heard anything - you guys both applied for London Direct TC?

@CallumJR - You mentioned the AC date - I received a general email saying this date too, but a while back. Did they get back and invite you to AC?

Thank you both - and anyone else who has any info!
    HI i have still not heard anything back from CRS direct london tc so don't worry

• 🤝
    Reactions: Phoebe123451

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Has anyone ever had an offer taken away because they have been unable to locate their GCSE certificates? I need to send them off as part of a screening process, but I have not seen them for at least 10 years! The online system to get new certificates seems to take a long time, so I am a bit concerned :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Has anyone ever had an offer taken away because they have been unable to locate their GCSE certificates? I need to send them off as part of a screening process, but I have not seen them for at least 10 years! The online system to get new certificates seems to take a long time, so I am a bit concerned :(
    Is there a way to obtain a certified declaration from your school?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This isn’t going to happen.

Your school might be able to provide a form of confirmation of the grades you achieved. Check if you/your parents have anything in writing from the school, even if it is an email that confirms your results.

But a firm is not going to rescind an offer purely on this basis.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    This isn’t going to happen.

Your school might be able to provide a form of confirmation of the grades you achieved. Check if you/your parents have anything in writing from the school, even if it is an email that confirms your results.

But a firm is not going to rescind an offer purely on this basis.
    Hm I have found a news article that mentions my results - grades, not subjects though. Might this be acceptable?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.