TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Might be overthinking this but on the cover letter for Slaughter and May, can I later on abbreviate the firm's name to S&M? I will have indicated the abbreviation the first time I use the full name but I was just thinking about the fact that they do not use the ampersand on purpose, so they might not want you to use it in an abbreviation either?
For other firms I would say it is totally fine, however for Slaughter I would recommend just to stick to the full name since they do not use the ampersand neither.

Reactions: Cecylia03

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi friends, think somebody else in the thread might have asked this but what does it mean when Sullivan puts your application "on hold"??
It means that they like you but they want to compare applicants until the deadline. I was put on hold last year as well for two months before being rejected in January. So, it is good news basically, at least until you receive a definite no!

Good luck with the application!

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Currently completing the Covington Vac Scheme App. How would people go about answering this question:

Name a historical figure that you admire and outline why.

Do you reckon the person has to be famous or can I mention a late family member? Really unsure what they are looking for from this question! Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
    wiki: 'Historical figure is a person who lived in the past and whose deeds exerted a significant impact on other people’s lives and consciousness. These figures are attributed with certain features that are a compilation of the actual values they proclaimed and the manner they were perceived by others'.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Is one disputes and one corporate seat mandatory at Gibson Dunn?
    I think so but I am not really sure if they are compulsory, but every trainee seems to do both so it might be. The free market system allows you to do multiple seat at ones so people do both to understand what they like. They might be compulsory during the training contract, however I am not really sure.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Absoluteley gutted - first ever application to a law firm (DLA) and reached the VI stage. As I started to record my first response, some technical error resulted in the screen freezing. When I tried logging back, first question had been saved and I was asked to respond to second question. I ended the interview and emailed recruitmemt but no response at all and only one day till deadline passes. So gutted. Has anyone faced a similar issue or have any advice?
    I am so sorry this happened to you but it has happened to many before you too so I would not worry too much. I know it is very disappointing but law firms are used to this and are very understanding. Chances are they will give you more time to complete the assessment, so do not worry and wait for what they will reply to you.

Reactions: Hani156

e1996

Star Member
    Dec 16, 2021
    @Jessica Booker I am just filling out linklaters application, and under "equal opportunities" section there is the option to put your A level grades (this is not a compulsory field), can I therefore leave my A level grades out? I was also wondering whether when they ask "are you okay for us to use your socio-economic information in this way" if we click no that is okay or would it be looked down upon? Thanks!

Szofi66

Star Member
    Oct 22, 2023
    Does anyone know if Pinsent Masons sponsors work visa for the direct TC (London office so UK work eligibility). I thought as most international law firms, they must, but a message pops up on the screen whilst filling out the app form and opting 'no'.

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
    Oct 2, 2023
    Yes, it is definitely rolling! If they like you they will keep you on hold until January and then select who they want to interview. This was my experience last year.
    Thanks so much, Axel!

Do you think it'd be too late to apply? Deadline is at the start of Jan, and applications opened in November.

I'm a slow writer and tend to spend ages on an app so don't want to invest if it might be too late already...

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Thanks so much, Axel!

Do you think it'd be too late to apply? Deadline is at the start of Jan, and applications opened in November.

I'm a slow writer and tend to spend ages on an app so don't want to invest if it might be too late already...
    No, I think it is not too late to apply so definitely give it a go!

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2023
    Anyone have any idea how a firm uses online tests in their recruitment process? I emailed TW about it, seeing as their test is different to the one you did last year @axelbeugre (as it was not a game based assessment but more like a WG.) I got back a message when asking them about this and they said:

"We review the application forms and shortlist them, inviting only the shortlisted candidates to the online assessment stage. We then look at those results alongside our benchmark to decide who is invited to the final stage – the assessment centre.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please feel free to get back in touch."

So am i right in thinking that if someone does average and is close to the benchmark of the test, their application would then be reviewed again when making a final decision? Instead of taking solely the test result as the only decision?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.