TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I am currently drafting my answer for a vs application, Please explain why you have decided to pursue a career as a solicitor and what has attracted you to the firm? The limit is 250 words. How many reasons should I include as to why this firm? What's the perfect number? Thank you in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I am currently drafting my answer for a vs application, Please explain why you have decided to pursue a career as a solicitor and what has attracted you to the firm? The limit is 250 words. How many reasons should I include as to why this firm? What's the perfect number? Thank you in advance.
There won’t be a perfect number - it’s really going to come down to your reasons and description, along with how you can leverage other evidence in other parts of your application Naturally you are going to need to be quite focused/concise given the right word limit, but I wouldn’t fixate on the number of points, more about what you think is relevant to include.

Reactions: Sharon Wu and S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
There won’t be a perfect number - it’s really going to come down to your reasons and description, along with how you can leverage other evidence in other parts of your application Naturally you are going to need to be quite focused/concise given the right word limit, but I wouldn’t fixate on the number of points, more about what you think is relevant to include.
Thank you so much @Jessica Booker

yeezyee

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2023
hi for applications like kirkland where you're limited to four work experiences, is it better to choose the four that link closest to commercial law? or four that show that i am well rounded? or the four most recent? im not sure what the best approach is! @Jessica Booker

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 12, 2018
In my answer for why commercial law, I discussed experiences working with commercial lawyers from two different law firms and then I discuss what I did during this experience plus motivations for a career in commercial law.

I am thinking back on it and wondering if I should remove the references to the two law firms and instead talk about the practice areas these commercial lawyers worked in.

Would you agree that this will make a difference or is there no need?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hi for applications like kirkland where you're limited to four work experiences, is it better to choose the four that link closest to commercial law? or four that show that i am well rounded? or the four most recent? im not sure what the best approach is! @Jessica Booker
I would take into account all of those aspects and consider collectively what are the entries that reflect the best combination of most closely linked to commercial law, biggest commitment, developed you the most, and what is most recent.

Reactions: yeezyee

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In my answer for why commercial law, I discussed experiences working with commercial lawyers from two different law firms and then I discuss what I did during this experience plus motivations for a career in commercial law.

I am thinking back on it and wondering if I should remove the references to the two law firms and instead talk about the practice areas these commercial lawyers worked in.

Would you agree that this will make a difference or is there no need?

Thanks
The reference to other firms is fine. You can rely less on describing what you did where this is about your motivations and where the evidence of what you did will typically be in your work experience entry. But I don't think it's an issue if you talk about other law firm's by name. Even if you did talk about practice areas, you need to focus on what you did, not what those who you worked with did.

Reactions: Mike Wazaoski

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker , I was wondering if you had any tips regarding the freshfields vacation scheme application - specifically the personal statement.
This post is particularly helpful. Although the guide attached in the post is quite old now, I really don't think much has changed since then when it comes to the firm's expectations with the personal statement: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/freshfields-application.628/post-3064.

I'll try and track down some other useful content shortly.

Reactions: xxkeurfijnse

sonnikasundar17

Standard Member
Jan 14, 2023
Hey, just got a VI written exercise invite from Dechert! I wanted to ask if anyone is willing to share some insights or tips on how to prepare and what to expect? It is my first written exercise so I would really appreciate it! I was told to choose a time slot, so I was wondering if it is with an associate/grad rec of Dechert or is it just a virtual one with no one watching you. Thank you so much!

CarolineC

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 23, 2019
Does anyone know if it’s too late to apply for Simmons & Simmons? I’ve seen people already receiving offers for SVS since it’s rolling. On their “Kickstart Your Career” page, it says applications are now closed, but on their “Graduate Opportunities” page, I can still access the form.
Where did you find the info that they're closed? Looks like they're still taking applications

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Following on from my earlier question on short applications, does anyone have a list by any chance of firms that have a simple post-app process? So no VIs, no tests, kinda like Slaughter and May who just has 1 assessment day post-app

Reactions: Apple

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.