TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Yesha.2

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 3, 2023
Hi,

Just got a VI from Kirkland & Ellis (does anyone know if they recruit on a rolling basis)

Also just got a VI & Written Exercise Invite from Dechert

If anyone has any information/insight could they please share/message me.

Thanks!
Congrats on getting both! When did you apply to Kirkland? I think they recruit on a rolling basis though.

milo

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2022
Does anyone know if Kennedys want your individual module grade for university? They just write that they want the following:

• GCSE (or equivalent)
  • A Level (or equivalent)
  • Undergraduate degree
  • Postgraduate qualifications
  • PDGL (or other law conversion course)
  • LPC or SQE
  • Any other relevant qualifications
They also say:

'In this section you should add details of relevant education and qualifications. Click on the add button to add one entry at a time. These entries will then appear in the summary table below labelled "Education Details".'

There's no mention of modules or place for them on the application form except for putting them in manually. @Jessica Booker any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: MandyAA

SoonToBeTrainee

Standard Member
Dec 29, 2023
I'm making an account just to reply to this, as I hope I can help.

I was at Kirkland's most recent Open Day. The Recruitment team said they technically don't recruit on a rolling basis. They made a point of it actually, stating that they don't see the point of 'rolling basis' when there is a strict deadline to adhere to anyway.

Why they may screen applications on a rolling basis, whether you submit your application on the first or last day, your chances of getting through to the next stage are exactly the same. It appears to be an incredibly fair process, so I wouldn't rush your VI. Congratulations!
I applied a week ago for Kirkland.

Will it have much of an impact if I complete my VI on the last day?

I have a very busy schedule at the moment.

Abbas J

Star Member
Mar 30, 2023

I was at Kirkland's most recent Open Day. The Recruitment team said they technically don't recruit on a rolling basis. They made a point of it actually, stating that they don't see the point of 'rolling basis' when there is a strict deadline to adhere to anyway.

Why they may screen applications on a rolling basis, whether you submit your application on the first or last day, your chances of getting through to the next stage are exactly the same. It appears to be an incredibly fair process, so I wouldn't rush your VI. Congratulations!
Brillant!

Thanks so much for the information mate!

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023

you're an angel

Reactions: SoonToBeTrainee

lawtab

Star Member
    Jul 19, 2023
    Following on from my earlier question on short applications, does anyone have a list by any chance of firms that have a simple post-app process? So no VIs, no tests, kinda like Slaughter and May who just has 1 assessment day post-app

Debevoise & Plimpton - online form application for in-person Open Day (equivalent of an AC) consisting of 1 interview, deadline 2 Jan

Davis Polk - CV and cover letter application, 1 online interview with training partner, partner and senior associate, deadline 6 Jan

Sidley Austin - online form application, 1 online interview with counsel/partner, deadline 7 Jan (rolling basis)

Travers Smith - online form and cover letter application, 1 online interview with a senior counsel, deadline 14 Jan

Shearman & Sterling - online form application, 1 online interview with HR member and a lawyer, deadline 15 Jan

Jones Day - online form application, 1 online interview with two senior lawyers, in-person AC, deadline 31 Jan (rolling basis)

Last edited:

LLB

Dec 15, 2023
    Debevoise & Plimpton - application for in-person Open Day (equivalent of an AC) consisting of 1 interview, deadline 2 Jan

Davis Polk - CV and cover letter application, 1 online interview with training partner, partner and senior associate, deadline 6 Jan

Sidley Austin - application and 1 online interview with counsel/partner, deadline 7 Jan (rolling basis)

Travers Smith - application and 1 online interview with a senior counsel, deadline 14 Jan

Shearman & Sterling - application and 1 online interview with HR member and a lawyer, deadline 15 Jan

Jones Day - application, 1 online interview with two senior lawyers, in-person AC, deadline 31 Jan
    absolute legend

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Debevoise & Plimpton - online form application for in-person Open Day (equivalent of an AC) consisting of 1 interview, deadline 2 Jan

Sidley Austin - online form application, 1 online interview with counsel/partner, deadline 7 Jan (rolling basis)

Travers Smith - online form and cover letter application, 1 online interview with a senior counsel, deadline 14 Jan

Shearman & Sterling - online form application, 1 online interview with HR member and a lawyer, deadline 15 Jan

Jones Day - online form application, 1 online interview with two senior lawyers, in-person AC, deadline 31 Jan (rolling basis)
    Tysm you're the best!!!!

Reactions: lawtab

anasat

Oct 15, 2023
    hi, I havent had a chance to attend any kirkland event so would appreciate any insight on this - do they hire all future trainees through vac schemes? i know they have a 2026 direct tc app open as well, and since i have some international work experience i was considering the tc option, but am a bit unsure about which route to choose to maximise my chances. thanks in advance!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.