TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Arf1309

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2022
Are we expected to provide firms with a whole module breakdown of our university grades or is providing your final grade and percentage enough? I'm applying to Gateley and they haven't specified....

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Ah, I am so jealous and wish I had applied now. I resent how firms only care about social mobility to the extent of just getting people to apply but completely ignore what they might need during the application process. I feel it really is just about optics for some of them. They have no appreciation for the difficulty of entering this field if you are working class. From expecting AAA at A-Level (despite how rare it is to get this if you go to a state comp) to expecting a certain polish at interviews. I only realised recently that some people actually pay for interview prep after seeing it offered by TCLA. Good for them but wish the law firms accounted for this disparity in a more real way.
    Completely agree. They want a diverse intake but do nothing to actually attract and retain this talent. I honestly don't care if youre hosting webinars on social mobility to virtue signal how some state school kid from 1979 is now a partner😅. Provide equal access to prep material and now I think you're serious. Apologies for the mini rant lol but massive shoutout to AG for this initiative and TCLA for hosting an annual scholarship cohort. Highly recommend you apply if you're eligible next year :)

Happycloud100

Distinguished Member
    Jan 8, 2024
    Currently doing my Covington & Burling application, is it best to refer to them as Covington or C&B throughout? Writing Covington & Burling every time just uses up precious words and I have a lot to say hahah
    I’d just write ‘Covington’ - that’s what I did last cycle and made it to AC. C&b sounds a bit strange as they never refer to themselves as that as far as I can tell and Covington is just 1 word anyway

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Quick question re group exercises in assessment centres - are you ever asked to rank each team member's performance throughout the task?
    I have never heard of this so I am inclined to say no, it would be a bit unusual since everyone is in competition so I am assuming people will rank everyone very low to shine. In my experience, this has not been the case, we had partners and graduate recruitment evaluating us and that was it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.