TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    RPC post-AC PFO

I dedicated a month to research those firms in depth. Obviously a first-class law degree and experience are not sufficient for a two-week programme. I've decided to halt my efforts in pursuing further applications. The pattern has become all too familiar: no matter how far I progress, reaching the assessment centre stage seems to inevitably lead to rejection. It's disheartening to feel as though I'm not meeting the mark, regardless of my qualifications and dedication.

It's ironic that after dedicating six years to legal studies, the only employment opportunity I can secure is that of a sales assistant. Obv there's nothing wrong with this role, but it wasn't the intention behind pursuing a law degree.
    Everyone’s also been ghosting me for paralegal positions, so I’ll do a big favour to myself and stop wasting more time because I already dedicated too much effort to a lost cause
    Hi, really sorry to hear this! I think you need a well-deserved break from all this. It's an extremely demoralising and tough process but I know you will get there!! Ask any current trainee and I'm sure they've all related to you at some point.

The fact you are getting to the assessment centres already suggests you're in the top 10% of applicants which is a massive achievement. You're clearly capable so it might just be a case of stepping back and revising your interview approach. I found that even though I knew a firm inside out, sometimes something as simple as knowing how to answer situational questions can change the outcome entirely. Best of luck and message me if you ever need to rant :)

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    it sounds like you have already contacted them about this - if so, I wouldn’t necessarily chase them via email again. Alternatives are to try and call them or maybe connect with their trainees working in the region to see if they know.
    I have been calling all the relevant people who deal with recruitment but they don't really pick up 😂 I think I will stop now in case they get sick of me before even seeing my application. Also, does it look bad if I have contacted too many people on LinkedIn/emailed them to ask to speak to them about their work? Just doing my research into the firm at the moment.

Reactions: Seven

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    I have been calling all the relevant people who deal with recruitment but they don't really pick up 😂 I think I will stop now in case they get sick of me before even seeing my application. Also, does it look bad if I have contacted too many people on LinkedIn/emailed them to ask to speak to them about their work? Just doing my research into the firm at the moment.
    No it’s called conducting due diligence😉 You’ll be a great lawyer!! But hopefully it’s not GR you’re contacting on LinkedIn, everyone else though it’s fair game to send a message to get insights into the firm - the worst they’ll do is ignore because they’re busy.

• Haha
    Reactions: Miss Chocolate

zdzd

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 30, 2022
    RPC post-AC PFO

I dedicated a month to research those firms in depth. Obviously a first-class law degree and experience are not sufficient for a two-week programme. I've decided to halt my efforts in pursuing further applications. The pattern has become all too familiar: no matter how far I progress, reaching the assessment centre stage seems to inevitably lead to rejection. It's disheartening to feel as though I'm not meeting the mark, regardless of my qualifications and dedication.

It's ironic that after dedicating six years to legal studies, the only employment opportunity I can secure is that of a sales assistant. Obv there's nothing wrong with this role, but it wasn't the intention behind pursuing a law degree.
    Everyone’s also been ghosting me for paralegal positions, so I’ll do a big favour to myself and stop wasting more time because I already dedicated too much effort to a lost cause
    I’m so sorry :( I know how frustrating it is and you’re always second-guessing yourself to doubt whether you’re good enough. However, the fact that your applications are even getting past the initial screening stage and that you’re even getting invited to ACs mean that prospective employers *do* see the potential in you to be a good candidate, otherwise why would they invite you to highly-competitive ACs in the first place? Firms have anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand candidates competing for less than 100 spaces, so you’re clearly doing something right to even get this far.

I’d agree with the poster above and say maybe take a break for a bit because it does get eye-wateringly frustrating when you’re faced with rejection after rejection after all the time and effort you put into apps and preparing for interviews. Take some time away, start a new Netflix series for a bit (Suits if you’re up for it) and spin the block whenever you feel rejuvenated and ready. You’re def not the only one because if that were the case, this forum wouldn’t exist.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    No it’s called conducting due diligence😉 You’ll be a great lawyer!! But hopefully it’s not GR you’re contacting on LinkedIn, everyone else though it’s fair game to send a message to get insights into the firm - the worst they’ll do is ignore because they’re busy.
    Okay, thank you for reassuring me 😭 one of the trainees told me to reach out to the HR person who deals with recruitment over LinkedIn but I ran out of personalised message quota so I sent a request to connect. But then I found a general email for the office and she got back to me through that. The application form for the Dubai office is the only link I have and one of the associates sent me a link to one of their new schemes and there was literally ZERO information about it anywhere on the website so me and the HR person exchanged a few emails about that. I also had questions relating to my eligibility for the scheme That's not an issue, right? I mean how else am I supposed to find out any info 😭😭😭

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    RPC post-AC PFO

First off, I don’t want to try and minimise how you’re feeling right now as I’ve had my fair share of post-AC rejections and know how much they suck.

You should know how impressive it is that you’ve reached 5 or 6 (perhaps more) ACs in one cycle. A lot of people would be happy to get just 1 and you’re consistently in the Top 10% of applicants. That should evidence that you’re more than capable, and I know you’ll get there eventually. I know it’s easy to get swept up in seeing friends or others on the forum get offers, and I’ve been guilty of comparing myself to them. However, there are people who’ll have been through 4, 5 or 6 cycles and still be in this predicament. The average age to qualify as a solicitor right now is 30, so even if it doesn’t feel like it, time is on your side.

In regards to the paralegal problem, I struggled for a few months post-graduation to secure a role. Like you, I got ghosted by 90% of places, who all wanted a year or so of experience. If you’re planning on taking a break for this cycle, after a few weeks (or however long you want to take), I would look again and try Flex Legal. They tend to offer paralegal opportunities and notify you of them. Alternatively, recruiters can sometimes be a good route to go down (and how I secured my position) as they of course get commission should you be successful, so it’s in their best interests.

Tonight though, just do something you enjoy and treat yourself. Take a break from the forum, applications and come back to it when you feel refreshed. You ought to be very proud of yourself and don’t forget that.

whywhy88

Jul 6, 2023
    really sorry to hear this, massive congrats for having even got an AC though! do you by any chance know whether they are running more ACs or whether they have sent out all the invites?
    Hi, I’m not too sure as I got my AC invite through the lift off scheme, but when I was given the link to book it there were dates available for later in Feb such as the 23rd so I wouldn’t lose hope yet!

Kbrandnew

Jan 23, 2024
    RPC post-AC PFO

I do not want to repeat anything everyone has already said, but because I did the same AC I just wanted to advise on how to come back from this.
    You are great, I know you prepared a lot for it and you tried your best. No one is lying when they say it is competitive. I did the math (because I too needed reassurance), and just by making it to the AC you were among the top 5% (according to Chambers student) of applicants.
    I have not received a call or an email from them yet, so take my advice with a pinch of salt lol, but I would take as much of a break as you need and then do a self-feedback form. When you feel ready again, jump back into it and work on your interview performance. It is probably not that you lack experience or skill, but rather your approach.
    Remember you are good enough and a 'No' is not a 'Never'.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.