TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Kbrandnew

Jan 23, 2024
When picking a news story to relate to a firm (in an interview), should I pick one that genuinely interests me and any suggestions and where I should source it from?
From my limited experience, I found that choosing one that I was genuinely interested in worked best. I spoke about the topic with finesse and was able to have a conversation with the interviewers about it which made my answer seem more genuine, I think.
I used ZipLaw, LittleLaw and LawCareers.Net (also BBC News)

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
PFO post-AC from Burness Paull!
GLASGOW | SUMMER VS | APPLIED 24/12/23 | GAME BASED ASSESSMENT 27/12/23 | VIDEO INTERVIEW 03/01/24 | APTITUDE TESTS 08/01/24 | ASSESSMENT CENTRE 06/02/24

A little disappointed as it's a top firm for me, but it also saves me having to pick which firm I do the summer VS with and so in a way it's a blessing! Have arranged a feedback call to learn more but it's all good. 2/3 ACs > VSs, now need to keep those odds going to turn 1 of those into a TC 🙏

J53

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    It appears that my weakness has consistently been the case study interviews, though I believe I managed to navigate the one for HL quite well. Conversely, the situational interview was challenging since it was a new experience for me. I aimed for a structured approach, yet found myself rambling slightly despite my best efforts. The big problem is that I consistently reach the assessment centre stage and they reject me after that. It prompts me to wonder if the issue might lie with me...

Many people who make it to assessment centres often secure at least a vacation scheme. It's not a lot to ask for; it's just two weeks of work experience.
    None of my ACs were perfect, but I thought they were good enough to get a vacation scheme 😫 i don’t know what to dooo
    With the case study, is it the knowledge of the content, or bringing in outside commercial awareness or something else?

For the situational ones, had you planned the responses or were these ones you had to think of on the spot?

What has been recommended to me with any sort of interview or conversation is to write down the questions ASAP so you don’t forget and then craft a response ready for the next one.

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
    Oct 2, 2023
    @Jessica Booker how do you recommend alerting firms about vacation scheme offers from other firms? I'm in the recruitment process for a firm that has no set dates for their summer vacation scheme (though they're usually around the same time as others), but I've received an offer from another firm with set dates. I don't want to come across as presumptuous, as there's one more stage to go, but I'd like to let them know just in case.

Additionally, some firms I've applied to have allowed me to select a preference for spring, but should I let them know I have a summer VS just to confirm whether I can guarantee a spring space?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.